Jump to content

18" vs 20" vs 17" Wheels - 2017 Denali


Recommended Posts

Hello All,

 

Been browsing the forums for a while and wanted to ask a few questions specific to my needs. I am really torn between which wheel size to go for. I drive a 2017 Sierra Denali that came with 20" wheels. The truck despite having MagnaRide suspension rides a bit harsh in my opinion. 

I was doing some research and found out that smaller wheel size should make the ride a bit comfier but I am torn between the wheel sizes and suspension itself. I have a suspenion leak on the front passenger side and I am wondering if I should just replace them with the same MagnaRide or go for something else? I read about Bilstien 5100 would you recommend that over MagnaRide? Are they comfier compared to MagnaRide? 

 

Now, regarding the wheel size, should I change the wheel to a smaller diameter or go for a softer rubber (If anything like that exists?) on 20" wheels? 

Between 17" and 18" is there a massive difference in ride handling and quality? I ask because the GMC 20" wheels that I got come in 18" as well with the same design but doesn't exist in 17" which means probably an aftermarket wheel needs to be purchased but I like the design of the 20" wheel more and thus would like to keep that if possible. 

 

The mileage on the truck is 130,000 Kilometers/80,778 Miles in case that matters. 

Thank you all! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd handle the shocks before you change wheels/tires out.  A bad mangeride shock can ruin the ride no matter what wheels/tires you've got on there. 

 

What you choose is up to you.  You can get new magride shocks.  You can bypass the magneride and throw some regular shocks on there.  Bypass kit is needed to fool the suspension control module so you don't end up with lights on the dash.  As for what brand, I can't speak for any really.  I've seen hit and miss on the Bilstiens though on here.  Some love them, some had nothing but problems.  

 

To me, handling wise the 20"s offer the most handling in terms of cornering grip, especially when paired with a sport truck tire for summer only use.  

 

I've had 18"s on 3 of my trucks now and they've been a nice balance on the ride and handling.  More compliance than the 20"s but more control than the 17"s.  

 

"Soft" tires?  In my mind that would be more compliant sidewalls, which would be Michelin.  You should see how easily you can manipulate the sidewalls when they aren't installed on a car/truck lol.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, newdude said:

I'd handle the shocks before you change wheels/tires out.  A bad mangeride shock can ruin the ride no matter what wheels/tires you've got on there. 

 

What you choose is up to you.  You can get new magride shocks.  You can bypass the magneride and throw some regular shocks on there.  Bypass kit is needed to fool the suspension control module so you don't end up with lights on the dash.  As for what brand, I can't speak for any really.  I've seen hit and miss on the Bilstiens though on here.  Some love them, some had nothing but problems.  

 

To me, handling wise the 20"s offer the most handling in terms of cornering grip, especially when paired with a sport truck tire for summer only use.  

 

I've had 18"s on 3 of my trucks now and they've been a nice balance on the ride and handling.  More compliance than the 20"s but more control than the 17"s.  

 

"Soft" tires?  In my mind that would be more compliant sidewalls, which would be Michelin.  You should see how easily you can manipulate the sidewalls when they aren't installed on a car/truck lol.   

Thanks for the response. I have an opportunity to change MagRide to Rancho (White shocks) that come on Z71 4x4 package. Do those ride good? My eventual goal is to install King 2.5 but that's most likely towards the end of the year. 

 

So, I see then 18" wheels should be good. 

 

Any particular Michelin model that I should look into? 

 

Thanks! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Abdullah Amir said:

Thanks for the response. I have an opportunity to change MagRide to Rancho (White shocks) that come on Z71 4x4 package. Do those ride good? My eventual goal is to install King 2.5 but that's most likely towards the end of the year. 

 

So, I see then 18" wheels should be good. 

 

Any particular Michelin model that I should look into? 

 

Thanks! 

 

 

 

The stock Ranchos from a Z71 are another much debated shock.  My 2018 had them, I never had a problem but some people hate them.  

 

Michelin's bread and butter tire is the DEFENDER LTX M/S.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Abdullah Amir said:

Thanks for the response. I have an opportunity to change MagRide to Rancho (White shocks) that come on Z71 4x4 package. Do those ride good? My eventual goal is to install King 2.5 but that's most likely towards the end of the year. 

 

So, I see then 18" wheels should be good. 

 

Any particular Michelin model that I should look into? 

 

Thanks! 


Hello!
Just wanted to offer my personal experience here. My truck came from the factory with the Ranchos. If you are looking for a comfier ride, in my opinion, I don't think the OEM Ranchos will be a big help. They're not a bad pair of shocks, but they provide a super stiff ride and I think the transition from MagnaRide to those shocks will be very jarring.

 

If it's of any help, I actually swapped the OEM Ranchos years ago with Bilsteins and I have been really happy with the ride quality of my truck.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe the regular Defender LTX in many sizes is discontinued but you get the improved designed Defender LTX M/S 2's now. Not that is matters too much, it's still their best selling tire.

 

I should know, I see them everyday because of my job lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not going to respond to the shock question, but to the tire question.  If you want just a road machine that handles almost like a car I recommend the Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport.  I had them on my previous truck and liked them so much, when I got my '23 Silverado I sold the OEM Generals and bought the Dueler's again in 285/60/18 size.  But, checking Tire Rack, I see they are no longer available for 18" wheels, but only for 19" and above.  It is a summer tire.  I luv 'em👍 

 

Lou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, OffTheAir said:


Hello!
Just wanted to offer my personal experience here. My truck came from the factory with the Ranchos. If you are looking for a comfier ride, in my opinion, I don't think the OEM Ranchos will be a big help. They're not a bad pair of shocks, but they provide a super stiff ride and I think the transition from MagnaRide to those shocks will be very jarring.

 

If it's of any help, I actually swapped the OEM Ranchos years ago with Bilsteins and I have been really happy with the ride quality of my truck.

Hello! Which Bilsteins did you go with? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, newdude said:

 

 

 

The stock Ranchos from a Z71 are another much debated shock.  My 2018 had them, I never had a problem but some people hate them.  

 

Michelin's bread and butter tire is the DEFENDER LTX M/S.

Thank you! I guess I'll skip Ranchos then. 

 

I shall look into the tires. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, lowrider said:

Not going to respond to the shock question, but to the tire question.  If you want just a road machine that handles almost like a car I recommend the Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport.  I had them on my previous truck and liked them so much, when I got my '23 Silverado I sold the OEM Generals and bought the Dueler's again in 285/60/18 size.  But, checking Tire Rack, I see they are no longer available for 18" wheels, but only for 19" and above.  It is a summer tire.  I luv 'em👍 

 

Lou

Thanks, lowrider. I'll check out these rubber too! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2024 at 12:47 AM, Abdullah Amir said:

Hello! Which Bilsteins did you go with? 

I went with the Bilstein 5100s, very happy with them.
I don't mean to answer for @OffTheAir, hopefully he'll give a response soon with his experience on which Bilstein version he installed..

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Abdullah Amir said:

Hey Mike, you switched from Ranchos or MagnaRide? 

No, I went from stock to the Bilstein 5100s on a 3" lift  all around and a 1.5" rear spring lift, 1.5" body lift and a 1" lift with the front Bistein 5100s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

No, I went from stock to the Bilstein 5100s on a 3" lift  all around and a 1.5" rear spring lift, 1.5" body lift and a 1" lift with the front Bistein 5100s.

Nice! I know stock are very bad suspension. 

 

What's your wheel and tire setup? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You have a Denali. Stick with the MagnaRide. They are the best shock out there for the K2 trucks.  I had three K2 GMC SLT's and the stock Ranchos SUCK compared to this 2018 Denali with MagnaRide. No comparison

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.