Extra Fuel Tank

I have ordered a 60-gallon in-bed toolbox/fuel tank combo for my new duramax from Northern Tool.  Has anyone else on the forum installed a tank similar to this?  I am not sure if I will go with a gravity feed controlled by a solenoid valve or a remote transfer pump.  If anyone has any suggestions or input it would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I could be wrong, but I believe that a gravity feed system (although simple to setup) is illegal everywhere. I have seen a setup where a guy had a small fitting welded or brazed to the top (metal) part of the filler kneck on his D-max, with a valve on the hose right where it exited the tank (he'd shut off the valve, fill the truck tank, then cap it off, turn the valve back on and fill the tank in the bed) but I don't know that that's necessarily the best way. There is a company who makes in-the-bed tanks that have fuel pickups, returns, vent hoses, etc like a regular tank, and their own pump (they function off a selector valve like a dual-tank setup). I can't remember the name of the company, but if you could set something like that up, I think it would be the best solution. Actually, I just did a quick search, and found their website. There isn't a lot of info on it, but they do say that they will fabricate this style pickup/sending unit for any aftermarket tank.

http://www.auxtank.com/auxtank/asp/answers.asp

Good luck!

-Chris

Archived