Steering Radio Controls

I was wondering if that would work on the wheel. I have done that on other vehicles but didn't want to have this one apart only to have to put it all back together again without accomplishing the end goal. My '91 Sierra barely came off with the puller so I wasn't sure on this one. I bought an all black wheel on eBay for $99 but it's been sitting in the back seat for a month now waiting to find the puller legs. I'll probably be heading out to the garage in a few minutes to get this done. I am glad to hear more affirmation that it's simply plug-and-play. Thanks for the write-up.

Daddy

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ChickenWing,

So you are saying that your NBS is already PRE-WIRED with an available wiring harness all the way up to the actual steering wheel?? I know lots of guys are wondering if this is true for their trucks also.

If you had an actual open connector for steering controls under the Airbag, that would mean alot...

Is this what you found??

ChickenWing,

So you are saying that your NBS is already PRE-WIRED with an available wiring harness all the way up to the actual steering wheel?? I know lots of guys are wondering if this is true for their trucks also.

If you had an actual open connector for steering controls under the Airbag, that would mean alot...

Is this what you found??

If you have factory Cruse, then yes, the steering wheel with Audio controls will plug into the same port that the original steering wheel plugged into, and it will work fine.

The difference of wiring harnesses in this case is the harness that actually runs inside of the steering wheel itself. If you had the audio controls, and tried to add them to the original wheel, you will find that the original wiring harness is missing a plug for them, so that won't work. The only way people have been able to get the new style wiring harness is to get them from a steering wheel that has been made with audio controls. It seems that this harness is not for sale in its own right.

But the two harnesses use the same port on the colum, and you simply switch the old for the new. The plug right under the air bag.

If you don't have factory cruise, I don't have any experience with these. I have read that the port in the colum does not support either of these two harnesses with the steering wheel controls. But that is just what I've read from other folks experience.

ChickenWing,

Is this what you found??

If you have factory Cruse, then yes, the steering wheel with Audio controls will plug into the same port that the original steering wheel plugged into, and it will work fine.

The difference of wiring harnesses in this case is the harness that actually runs inside of the steering wheel itself. If you had the audio controls, and tried to add them to the original wheel, you will find that the original wiring harness is missing a plug for them, so that won't work. The only way people have been able to get the new style wiring harness is to get them from a steering wheel that has been made with audio controls. It seems that this harness is not for sale in its own right.

But the two harnesses use the same port on the colum, and you simply switch the old for the new. The plug right under the air bag.

If you don't have factory cruise, I don't have any experience with these. I have read that the port in the colum does not support either of these two harnesses with the steering wheel controls. But that is just what I've read from other folks experience.

Has anyone thought about when changing the steering wheel to add a heated wheel??? i have a steering wheel i`ll have for sale with all the cruise and radio controls in it as soon as i get a wheel with the heater in it not sure yet what i have to add besides the wheel and the SIR coil ( still looking for SIR part #) any suggustions????

ChickenWings write up on here was great. These were the instructions I followed, and it all worked great, except for one small hiccup. When removing the airbag connectors, on the back of the airbag, you need to pull the yellow plastic piece straight up and out. Then squeeze the white pieces on the sides, and pull thw whole pin all the way out. It took me some time to figure that out, but it may have been easier for others with more vehicle electrical experience then I have. Also, when I reinstalled everything, I got a "Service Airbag" warning. I took and removed power, and pulled the airbag. I found one of the small yellow pins was not completely seated. It looked like it was, but when I pushed on it, I felt it click. One other thing to check to assure a smooth install.

I bought a whole new steering wheel for mine-

wheel1.jpg

I have my old wheel with the cruise control for sale, $60.00 with free shipping-

wheel.jpg

Ok, my cruise control on my old wheel did not light up with the dash lights, and neither do the radio controls on the new wheel. There is an empty slot for "Steering Wheel Backlights" in the dash fuse panel, but there are no prongs to hold the fuse. Do you think its a matter of a few wires, or is it another case of having to buy a whole new wiring harness?

Ok, my cruise control on my old wheel did not light up with the dash lights, and neither do the radio controls on the new wheel. There is an empty slot for "Steering Wheel Backlights" in the dash fuse panel, but there are no prongs to hold the fuse. Do you think its a matter of a few wires, or is it another case of having to buy a whole new wiring harness?

Never even thought about that. Don't know if mine light up or not. Are you rolling a WT, LS, or LT?

Daddy

I've got a WT CC. The little yellow cruise control indicator light lights-up, but none of the back lighting lights.

I have an SLE Sierra (would be an LT Silverado) and I have the fuse and the lights. I'm guessing this'll take some work. Good luck with this one! Let me know what you find out if anything.

Daddy

I'm thinking this might not be too bad. I need to find the schematic, showing the plug in the steering wheel, listing which wire is the power for the backlights. Then, I can just trace it back into the steering column, and tap on the dash lights elsewhere, onto that wire.

Ok, the brown wire, on the harness plug in the steering wheel is the power for the lights. I can't see where the wire runs, or if there is a brown wire on the other side of the harness, running down the steering wheel shaft.

Ok, got it working, and figured it out!!

Looks like maybe just the WT package did not have the lights wired for the cruise control.

Under the driver side dash, there is a wire harness and plug. It is kinda off white with a blue bracket that clamps to hold the harness together. If you undo the harness, look for the dark brown wire. Careful, because there is a black w/ white stripe and a black wire. Make sure you get the brown wire. I cut it, and tapped it on to the dash lights. Now my steering wheel radio and cruise control light up!!

I would have taken pictures, but there was barely enough room up in there for my two bear paws, let alone a camera!! Hopefully I explained it well enough, for anyone else who is in the same situation!!

Archived