Gm 'special Grease"...use It Or Not?

So I need to grease my slip yoke soon, but I don't want to pay $40 for 16oz of grease. For those of you that have not used the GM grease, what brand did you go with and how long have you been since you greased it and have you had any problems? They say that it will react with the transmission fluid, but people say that when they pull it out that it's bone dry. There has got to be a grease out there that is compatible and meets the specs of the GM "special grease."

What is the part number of the GM grease?

I'll be greasing the yoke on my 08 Silverado.

So I need to grease my slip yoke soon, but I don't want to pay $40 for 16oz of grease. For those of you that have not used the GM grease, what brand did you go with and how long have you been since you greased it and have you had any problems? They say that it will react with the transmission fluid, but people say that when they pull it out that it's bone dry. There has got to be a grease out there that is compatible and meets the specs of the GM "special grease."

I've used Marine Grade wheel bearing grease on my last three GM trucks and it worked great. About 6 bucks at any boating center. I only had to use it once on my 01 and I drove it about 50,000 miles after. Grease inside the splines doesn't mix with trans fluid so nothing to worry about there.

• 2 years later...

You are not supposed to use grease on the slip yoke of a 4x4 truck. That grease is ONLY for use on 2 wd drive trucks. There is nothing on the transfer case to prevent the grease from entering the TC and contaminating the fluid, which could cause problem in the TC.

GM Customer Care and Aftersales

*URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY*

DATE: November 4, 2010

SUBJECT: Do Not use Slip Yoke Grease from Bulletin #09-04-17-002C on 4WD Vehicles.

MODELS: 2007 – 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Series

2008 – 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe 1500 Series

2007 – 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Series

2008 – 2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 1500 Series

Equipped with 4WD (RPO NQG, NQH)

TO: Chevrolet/GMC Dealers

ATTN: Service Manager and Parts Manager

A new grease, part # 19257121 (in Canada, 19257122), was recently released for lubrication of slip yoke splines to repair a condition of a bump feel or clunk noise at stop or from launch on the vehicles equipped with 4L60 Automatic Transmission (RPO M30) and 2WD. Please see Bulletin # 09-04-17-002C for details.

Do not use the new grease for lubrication of slip yoke splines on 4WD vehicles. The output shaft in a 4WD transfer case does not have a grease retainer to keep the grease from migrating into the transfer case and mixing with the fluid inside. The new grease is not compatible with the Automatic Transmission fluid used in the transfer case and can cause damage if mixed. Lubricate the splines on 4WD vehicles with Automatic Transmission Fluid, P/N 88861003 (in Canada, 88861004). Please refer to Bulletin # 09-04-21-003B for repairing the bump feel or clunk noise condition on 4WD vehicles.

• 3 weeks later...

Dose anyone have the exact service bulletin for the drive shaft clunk? I went to my dealer yesterday and they said there is no TSB for it and they couldn't replicate it. The truck only has 14k miles and it drives me crazy.

Dose anyone have the exact service bulletin for the drive shaft clunk? I went to my dealer yesterday and they said there is no TSB for it and they couldn't replicate it. The truck only has 14k miles and it drives me crazy.

From the post two above your's, "Please see Bulletin # 09-04-17-002C for details".

Archived