• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#16 STex

STex

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,250 posts
  • Drives:09 SLT CC 4x4

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

Not concerned about this and will keep onstar as I need/like the back up cel phone, but Would the fuse fix be one of the headliner fuses in center instr panel fuse block (page 5-125 my manual)? Dealer should be able to identify for you.

#17 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:51 AM

If you were to take out the module, no red light would appear on the mirror. The fuse you pull is the INFO fuse under the hood. Either way OnStar is dead once you do either.

Eventually I'll get around to pulling the module as it's pretty useless. The XM module is already sitting on the shelf because it's useless, if I wanted to listen to commercials I'd not pay for radio.

this is what I was going to suggest, do a search to get a "how to" for removing the overhead console, you'll find the OnStar mic in there, just unplug it or cut the wires and you have solved your problem without causing other problems.

What problems are you going to cause removing the OnStar module or pulling power from it? The fuse has been out in my truck for over a year, I had taken the module out at one point because I had that center dash panel off. I started the truck and checked everything and it all worked. Nothing will happen to the truck if you disable/disconnect OnStar.

If you cut the wires to the microphone you won't be able to do something like upgrade to a CoStar bluetooth module or anything like that.

Edited by brims, 22 March 2010 - 09:56 AM.

Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau
Future mods: 2 low/6 high
Possible mods: rear sway bar, blacked out front and rear bumpers

#18 bpaszek

bpaszek

Enthusiast

• 37 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

Not sure if this had anything to do with it, I removed my Onstar module in order to install my BlueStar module. When it was removed, I had to move my truck. As I backed out of the garage to the end of my driveway, I got a 'service 4wd' error and the tranny felt like it didn't want to shift and the truck felt like it was in 4wd. I shut the truck off, installed the BlueStar and never had the problem again.

Again - I have no idea if this had anything to do with the Onstar module being removed and nothing being plugged in it's place, but seemed awfully coincidental...

#19 cgalford

cgalford

Enthusiast

• 142 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:58 AM

Same thing with me, I disconnected the module to try to make more room for all the wires connected to my nav, when I started the truck to move it I got a service 4wd error. I think the module may contain the brains to the autotrac system or would trip something causing whatever controls the autotrac to not work.

Not sure if this had anything to do with it, I removed my Onstar module in order to install my BlueStar module. When it was removed, I had to move my truck. As I backed out of the garage to the end of my driveway, I got a 'service 4wd' error and the tranny felt like it didn't want to shift and the truck felt like it was in 4wd. I shut the truck off, installed the BlueStar and never had the problem again.

Again - I have no idea if this had anything to do with the Onstar module being removed and nothing being plugged in it's place, but seemed awfully coincidental...

2008 Hummer H2 6.2/6Spd Black/Black
2009 Yamaha R1 CVMA Racing License #297

#20 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

Same thing with me, I disconnected the module to try to make more room for all the wires connected to my nav, when I started the truck to move it I got a service 4wd error. I think the module may contain the brains to the autotrac system or would trip something causing whatever controls the autotrac to not work.

Really? I hope they didn't do something as boneheaded as that. That's terrible. Wonder if killing power to the module via the fuse will give those issues. Or maybe communication loops through the OnStar module to the 4WD module or some other 4WD related module.

Looks like with the RPO UE1; communication system vehicle GPS 1, guess a fancy term for OnStar; high speed GMLAN goes through the VCIM before going to the TCCM. So it's removal would severe communications with the transfer case module. The GMLAN goes onto the electronic brake control module (ABS?), fuel pump flow control module, and the trailer brake control module. So I'm retracting my prior statement that it's removal won't hurt anything. Maybe I didn't start the truck with it out, thought I had.

If you have a 4.3, an LMG, LY6, or an LC9 engine you don't have the fuel pump flow control module. The things I find out with these service manuals...

Edited by brims, 22 March 2010 - 01:22 PM.

Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau
Future mods: 2 low/6 high
Possible mods: rear sway bar, blacked out front and rear bumpers

#21 cbsaf

cbsaf

Enthusiast

• 196 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

Well, alright guys I went ahead and tried to remove it. I had to remove the two screws below the driver's trim panel and pop out the side nearest the center panel. I then took two 7mm bolts out of the center panels edge and the piece was then only held on by gator style clips.

The module was held in place by three plastic dash clips. I removed it and disconnected J1, J2, a maroon antenna wire, and a blue antenna wire. There was also some other type of cordless thing on the module. I didn't mess with it. I put the Onstar module in the garage.

Upon starting the truck the rear view mirror light was red. When activating Onstar it would simply beep rather than dial or dial tone. All three buttons did this. It would not work. My instrument cluster had the traction control, ABS, and parking brake lights iluminated. GM has put management of these systems in the Onstar module.

I then reconnected J1 and J2 and the warning lights went off. I tried unplugging one of them at a time to isolate the culprit but both connectors were required to have the brakes work normally. The two antenna wires were a non issue. I left them unplugged and reassembled the dash. The Onstar system was still active but could not dial out.

I then removed the fuse panel cover on the side of the dash. I removed fuse #22. The lights on the rear view mirror went out. Onstar would not acknowlege any buttons being pushed. It is dead and now can not communicate.

Does anyone know what the wireless thing near the two antenna connectors is? Does it have something to do with a bluetooth?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by cbsaf, 22 March 2010 - 01:33 PM.

#22 cbsaf

cbsaf

Enthusiast

• 196 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

On a side note I actually got my dash back together and looking better. The factory put some of the clips on the plastic panels off center and too shallow. My dash had horrible seam lines. I managed to straighten out some of the clips before reassembly and now everything lines up nicely.

#23 USMdude

USMdude

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jbo
  • Drives:1999 GMC Sierra

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

Hahaha, I love it.... I would do the same thing to get rid of those DANG LIGHTS in the mirror..... The other half had a Tahoe with them it drove me nuts ON LONG drives at night..

What about the black box feature????????? What is it stores the last 60 minutes of drive time? Which could be reviewed in court????

Did that ever seem to make its way into the cars and trucks on the road? I remember reading about it years ago right after OBDII was released. Never really followed up on it. GEEEEE I didn't realize exactly how long I have been fiddling with cars and selling parts...... Oh well, If anybody knows bout that post up here...

Yeah, cell phone of any kind is traceable to location. Weather with triangulations or with GPS.... I shutter to think about things like that. But I do enjoy knowing where my drivers are while they are on the clock... Those GPS phones really pay off sometimes...

Jbo

#24 spurshot

spurshot

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,510 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

I read somewhere that the 2009 and later GM cars had the capability for Onstar to disable the vehicle. The intent of this capability was touted as a theft recovery feature or law enforcement aid.

Just the other day I read or heard on the radio about a former dealership employee that had been terminated and had used another employee's ID to get into Onstar and disable and trip horns on vehicles that this dealership had sold. So, those of you than think Onstar can't be abused now have an example of how it can. If any of these vehicles were needed for an emergency at the time, it could have been a real problem for real people.

To hell with Onstar, I'm not willing to have the potential for some error on mischevious hacker to disable my vehicle when I might need it.

DSC_7821_zpsacf5baa7.jpg

2014 Sierra SLT All Terrain 5.3 Crew 6 1/2 ft bed, 305/60-18 Cooper ST Maxx, 1 1/2" level, 5000k Morimoto HID, 4 Baja Designs SII LED lights, AMP Power Steps, Bushwacker flares, Foglights w/High Beams mod, Wilwood 14.25" 6 piston front brakes, Snugtop Hi-Liner Sport. 

2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Crew 4x4 LTZ, NHT

#25 Zakman

Zakman

Enthusiast

• 377 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

Well, alright guys I went ahead and tried to remove it. I had to remove the two screws below the driver's trim panel and pop out the side nearest the center panel. I then took two 7mm bolts out of the center panels edge and the piece was then only held on by gator style clips.

The module was held in place by three plastic dash clips. I removed it and disconnected J1, J2, a maroon antenna wire, and a blue antenna wire. There was also some other type of cordless thing on the module. I didn't mess with it. I put the Onstar module in the garage.

Upon starting the truck the rear view mirror light was red. When activating Onstar it would simply beep rather than dial or dial tone. All three buttons did this. It would not work. My instrument cluster had the traction control, ABS, and parking brake lights iluminated. GM has put management of these systems in the Onstar module.

I then reconnected J1 and J2 and the warning lights went off. I tried unplugging one of them at a time to isolate the culprit but both connectors were required to have the brakes work normally. The two antenna wires were a non issue. I left them unplugged and reassembled the dash. The Onstar system was still active but could not dial out.

I then removed the fuse panel cover on the side of the dash. I removed fuse #22. The lights on the rear view mirror went out. Onstar would not acknowlege any buttons being pushed. It is dead and now can not communicate.

Does anyone know what the wireless thing near the two antenna connectors is? Does it have something to do with a bluetooth?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Yes if you removed the VCIM you also disabled Bluetooth capability. However, your VCIM is a hot item on here so you could probably sell it and make a nice profit.

Posted Image

2010 Black Z-71, CC, 4X4, 1500
Mods: Chrome Door Handles, 275/65/18" Destination A/T Tires, 2" Rough Country Lift, 3" rear blocks, Comp/Temp mirror, Spray in bed-liner, Black front and rear Bow-Ties.
Acc: Lund Soft Tonneau, Molded GM bug shield, Chevy molded laps, nerf bars, Chrome Tow Hooks, Chrome Grill inserts, AirAid filter, Chrome tailgate handle, AVS vent shades and stainless steel hide-away tie-downs.

Sold: 2008 White, CC, 4X4, 1500

#26 cbsaf

cbsaf

Enthusiast

• 196 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

I read somewhere that the 2009 and later GM cars had the capability for Onstar to disable the vehicle. The intent of this capability was touted as a theft recovery feature or law enforcement aid.

Just the other day I read or heard on the radio about a former dealership employee that had been terminated and had used another employee's ID to get into Onstar and disable and trip horns on vehicles that this dealership had sold. So, those of you than think Onstar can't be abused now have an example of how it can. If any of these vehicles were needed for an emergency at the time, it could have been a real problem for real people.

To hell with Onstar, I'm not willing to have the potential for some error on mischevious hacker to disable my vehicle when I might need it.

Thanks for the reply. That basically sums it up for me. It is just a machine and it can be abused. It is no different from hacking an ATM or identity theft from a laptop computer. I am sure nobody ever expected those abuses until they happened and now happen frequently. The newest versions of Onstar can shut down the vehicle. I just saw the commercial for it the other day.

I wasn't worried about anything involving tinfoil as much as I was worried about what young punks might be working for Onstar. With no antennas or power from the fuse block I feel more confident in the truck.

#27 cbsaf

cbsaf

Enthusiast

• 196 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:30 PM

Yes if you removed the VCIM you also disabled Bluetooth capability. However, your VCIM is a hot item on here so you could probably sell it and make a nice profit.

I tried to remove it all but the truck needs the module for the ABS and traction control. I just unhooked the antennas and power but left the module plugged in. Everything works properly that way.

I can't wait to see my next diagnostic email. I wonder if Onstar will panick when they can't get any info? What will they do?

#28 C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,005 posts
  • Name:Charlie
  • Drives:08 Sierra CCSB All Terrain

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

I have to say, guys.... it's really kind of funny the level of paranoia some of you seem to have. Why are any of you even on the internet if you're this scared?
2008 GMC Sierra CC SLT "All Terrain" Z71 4x4
Stealth Gray Metallic | Ebony UltraSoft Leather | 5.3L FlexFuel AFM-Delete V8 | 3.73 Locking Differential (G80)
Airaid MIT | K&N Drop-In | HP Tuners | Line-X Over-the-Rail | Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite | Spencer's 6K HID Conversion Low Beams and Fogs | OEM Navigation | OEM OnStar Bluetooth | Addco Front & Rear Sway Bars

2009 GMC Envoy Denali 4WD
Quicksilver Metallic | Ebony Leather | 5.3L AFM V8 | 3.42 Locking Differential (G80)
"IEATSRT8'S" CAI | Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar | HP Tuners

#29 Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,329 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

I have to say, guys.... it's really kind of funny the level of paranoia some of you seem to have. Why are any of you even on the internet if you're this scared?

Or talk on a phone (not a cell), hell dont go outside as a satellite may be watching. Dont go to the doctors as they may plant a chip inside your body. :shakehead:

2015 White Double Cab Chevrolet Silverado Longbed 2500HD 4x4, 4:10 Gears, 6 Speed, 6.0 L
2015 Dark Blue Chevrolet Traverse 2LT AWD

#30 asilverblazer

asilverblazer

The Red-Headed step child of the bunch.

• 3,636 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

***snickers to self at all the little jokes in my head.***

Edited by asilverblazer, 22 March 2010 - 04:48 PM.

1955 Chevrolet 4400 1 1/2ton Stake Bed
2007 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab LT Z-71 5.3L 4x4 BLACK
Signal Mirrors, Chrome Covers, Chrome Door Handles, Painted Bow-Ties, Painted Mirror Housings, Painted Tailgate Handle Bezel, Chrome Tailgate Handle, Leveling Kit, Kenwood DDX616 Headunit, Infinity 6022i speakers powered by Alpine Amp, Alpine Subs powered by Alpine Amp, Tinted Windows, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, Dale Jr. Cannons, Dueler A/T Revos

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users