Possessed Pickup

zdavis7931

Question

I currently own a 2010 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab with the 5.3L engine and have only had the truck for about 2 months! The truck had 75K miles on it when I first drove it, I noticed that it had a little bit of a rough idle and figured that would go away after being driven hard enough and sure enough it did, but what concerns me is that I have been having this re-occurring problem where the Traction control and Stabilitrak systems go haywire, my dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree, the engine revs uncontrollably, I lose the use of the accelerator and the brakes start to actuate and cause the steering wheel to almost jerk away from my control and on top of that the door locks continuously unlock and lock while all of the other stuff is going on! I am usually the only one in the truck and i commute to work 55 miles one way and i see this as a safety issue! The vehicle has been to the dealer 3 times for various electrical issues shortly after I purchased it and is still having issues with the starter not turning the engine over that the dealer just can't figure out! I also just had it in for an oil change and to have the slow wipers looked at as well because they were actually parking anywhere on the windshield they wanted and sometimes the wipers did not work at all when it was raining! Thankfully the wiper issue was resolved with a new module, but this other issue is a whole other thing in itself!

Please help, as I am almost at the end of my wits and about to tel the dealer to buy the truck back and find me something else or I will go somewhere else! P.S. I bought the truck from a GM dealer!

Update on the truck! It has been at the dealership since Monday this week and when they first looked at it, they got a code for a non-specific communication error (which basically means they don't know where to look)! Code was cleared and the service techs and even the service writer whom I have been working with have driven the truck home all week and they have had no issues! I was talking to a friend of mine last night about it after he laughed at me for the grocery getter the dealer gave me as a loaner and he had mentioned to me that the GM trucks they have at his work (UPS) do the same thing as well as belch black smoke and does not throw codes! The mechanics at UPS just replace the crank and cam sensors and that apparently solves the problems with their trucks! Has anyone out there ever hear of anything happening to their truck or a friend(s) truck(s) that does the same thing mine is doing? I swear these electrical gremlins in this truck are going to drive me nuts sooner rather than later!

Give it a shot- only bc of the non specific code

Keep at 'em - they seem to do everything in their power to get people to give up.

Yeah, the neighbor has been through all that with them - they did something to the intercooler - block off half of it, or whatever they do ... and it didn't work. The truck dies SOMETIMES at full throttle, and nobody can figure out why. Then they detuned the truck as a bandaid, and installed some black box recorder to record the event. Happened again, and the black box did nothing to aid in diagnosis. It's been a long road for him to say the least! I'd have snapped long, long ago .... :lol:

They even tried charging him $6k for the "new" replacement truck, when none of this was his fault ... :rolleyes:

I've got another buddy with a '10 E-boost - bought it with just a few thou on it out in NY for MUCH cheaper than any local dealers could sell it for, and he still hasn't had an issue - he's closing in on 100k miles too.

This is exactly why I feel computers belong next to a DESK in your HOUSE, NOT in a friggin motor vehicle ....

I was in a 14 bmw the other day and it was nothing but buttons and screens! Not a single price of mechanical gear in the whole cabin (besides the glove box door i guess) you push a button to start it, a button to put it in park. The shifter lever in the middle was like a cheap Video game controller. All i could think while i was in there was that this thing is way too far removed from what a vehicle actually is. Seems like they are trying to turn them into magic driving machines. Ill take my truck any day!

This is exactly why I feel computers belong next to a DESK in your HOUSE, NOT in a friggin motor vehicle ....

Intermittent ground of the low speed communication bus? Such was the case on my son's '07 'Hoe back in 2008. Chevy techs got it on the first pass and that vehicle's had no problems since.

Update on the truck! It has been at the dealership since Monday this week and when they first looked at it, they got a code for a non-specific communication error (which basically means they don't know where to look)! Code was cleared and the service techs and even the service writer whom I have been working with have driven the truck home all week and they have had no issues! I was talking to a friend of mine last night about it after he laughed at me for the grocery getter the dealer gave me as a loaner and he had mentioned to me that the GM trucks they have at his work (UPS) do the same thing as well as belch black smoke and does not throw codes! The mechanics at UPS just replace the crank and cam sensors and that apparently solves the problems with their trucks! Has anyone out there ever hear of anything happening to their truck or a friend(s) truck(s) that does the same thing mine is doing? I swear these electrical gremlins in this truck are going to drive me nuts sooner rather than later!

I finally got the truck back on 2 days ago from the dealer as they had it for almost 2 weeks! They ended up replacing the Body Control Module (BCM) failed causing the power door locks quit working during the pin test procedure they did as a last resort! It's very possible that the BCM caused most of the problems the truck was having but does nothing to explain the chugging and lurching I experienced while driving the vehicle which would lead to the conclusion that there was a problem with the connections causing the engine and transmission to miss-communicate creating the drive-ability issue! I still have my doubts that it is truly fixed as only time will tell!

The various modules communicate with the PCM on a "bus" system, and if a module stops communicating, the PCM flags a communication error. Loss of communication causes problems itself, and a module that's gone offline can cause all sorts of other problems - like disabling the traction control, or signaling the PCM to go into limp mode. If it does it all the time it can be reasonably easy to diagnose, but if does it rarely it can be pretty tricky, to the point of relying on a lucky guess or two. The problem at dealerships is the guys are paid on flat rate and nobody makes any money on this sort of problem, so nobody really wants to deal with it. I'd be inclined to lean towards threatening lawsuit or demanding a loaner car and refusing to take the truck until its fixed. In that case, the service department would be motivated to get someone to do the work, and free up some "internal" funds to cover the time spent.

This explains every problem that I have experienced with the truck so far, why the dealership has not been able to figure this out is troubling since this is a TSB issued by General Motorts! Also looking at the pictures provided, the location of this part and it's supposed role in the functionality of the vehicle is also troubling being on the bottom of the engine/transmission mere inches from the extremely hot exhaust pipe supposedly being protected from the heat by a tiny heat shield but still exposed to massive amounts of moisture, road debris, dirt, road salt etc. The people who design these vehicles are absolute morons, they try their hypothetical situations in a controlled environment for a few weeks but never truly test the product over the long term such as what the consumer does and eventually pays for in repair bills becuase of this ineptitude! I personally will never buy another GM vehicle as long as I live after this experience! The 2 links I am posting offer an explaination of my experience with the vehicle and the drivability problems! The first time I brought the truck in was for a wiper motor module that had failed and my wipers would not work, they also did 3 recall repairs at the time of that service, but failed to notice the TSB from GM that affected my particular model! http://engine-codes.com/uploads/gmc/08-07-30-021E.pdf http://www.ls2.com/boggs/dtcs/Scan_Tool_Does_Not_Communicate_with_High_Speed_GMLAN_Device.pdf

A new update on the possessed pickup! A couple of weeks ago the truck acted up doing the same thing that it started doing 2 weeks after purchase! But this time I had my best friend in the truck with me and we were on our way back to his house from breakfast when it started doing its dance! We figured out that the engine is actually shutting off momentarily and restarting causing the truck to buck and lurch, the gauges still go ballistic and the door locks still unlock and re-lock but we had a new development when we limped it to the dealer which was less than a half-mile away praying we didn't get killed on the way because of the idiots on the road! When we pulled into the dealer I shut the truck off and when I did that the truck lost all power (no electric flowing to anything) we (myself, my friend and the service writer) were flabbergasted because nothing worked! No start, no lights, no gauges nothing! I then proceeded to open up the rear doors to gather my stuff and the interior lights came back on when I opened a door (took moment to scratch head)! I was then able to get the truck to re-start and the service writer and myself took it for a drive and of course wouldn't ya know, it didn't act up! It seems as though it's doing it when its humid outside and yes that day it was humid after we had some rain the previous day and it's only doing it while the transmission is in drive, not in Park, Reverse or Neutral and when a diagnostic tool is hooked up the dealer only gets a communication error! It has not acted up since then, but is really frustrating that it does it so sporadically making it difficult to pin down!

My neighbor is just finishing up a year-long saga with FoMoCo over his Ecoboost-powered F-150 that nearly killed him,several times, while trying to pass on different occasions. Truck had been to the dealer countless times without a fix. They seemed to be trying to run the clock out on his warranty. Nobody seemed to care ... until he got a lawyer. Now he's getting another truck .. for FREE.

Yep - welcome to the world of electronically controlled cars! :nonod: I'll take a points adjustment in the snow over this any day of the week ....

Archived