Power Braking???

So the other night as I was leaving work, the GM did a nice 180 with his camaro.  I wasn't about to try it, because I didn't want to get the truck up on 2 wheels!!.  However, one of the kids I cook with has a nice mustang (I'll try to take a pic of it some time) and a dishwasher talked us into doing a little power braking.  He only got 1 wheel to spin, but left a nice black patch of rubber.  I on the other hand lined up the truck so I wouldn't slam into anything if it got loose (started at the end of the parking lot), and stood on it for about 10 seconds.  I know it's juvenile, but hey, I got a V8, and he's got a 6 banger!  Had to defend my manhood and Chevy's everywhere right?  Anyway, after I let go of the brake, it kept spinning both tires, but the rear started to slide a little to the left, about a foot to 6 inches.  Just wondering why it did that and didn't go straight?  I did manage to leave about 20 - 25 feet of rubber though.  Just wondering though, anyone else have this "problem"?

The rear will follow any crown of the road or parking lot.  I've done it before and never let off the brakes and the rear end just slowely drifted around.

I was surprised and wondering why it didn't cause a fault or warning light with the ABS...

How are you supposed to power brake with a manual tranny?  I always put it in first and slowly creep forward.  Then, hit the brake and punch the gas.  When the rear wheels start spinning I get tons of axle hop.  I this because I have a 3/4 ton HD?

Okay, I used to do this in my first truck.  It was a 92 Izusu std cab 5 speed with a V6.  I think the engine weighed more than the truck and it had tons of power.  Anyway, the way to do it with a manual takes a bit of skill, but it can be done.

1.  Put your left foot on the clutch, DUH!

2. Put the heel of your right foot on the brake, and your toes on the accelerator.

3. As soon as you can let the clutch out, #### your left foot over to the brake, and right over to the gas.

4. Hold on!

This takes some practice to get used to useing your feet like this.  Took me a couple times, and because my third leg won't reach the peddles!!!  LOL!  Good luck

Well this thread is right up my alley! :thumbs:

Do you have to hold the brakes all the way down or what?

That's the one good thing I like about front-wheel drive on a manual, you don't have to do all that fancy foot work, just use the parking brake. :devil:

General,

You have to preload the drivetain enough to break the rear tires loose, but not so little that the front of the truck moves.  Depending on how much power you have, you may have to ease up and pump the brakes once or twice to get the rears to spin.  Once they are broken loose then just hold the truck still with the left foot and apply the gas with the right one.  It's hard on the driveline to say the least, let alone the rear brakes!!!

If you have enough HP it's not hard to get the truck to shift gears and to see speeds in excess of 50 mph on the speedo while sitting still...  :thumbs:

He only got 1 wheel to spin, but left a nice black patch of rubber.  I on the other hand lined up the truck so I wouldn't slam into anything if it got loose (started at the end of the parking lot), and stood on it for about 10 seconds.  I know it's juvenile, but hey, I got a V8, and he's got a 6 banger!  Had to defend my manhood and Chevy's everywhere right?  Anyway, after I let go of the brake, it kept spinning both tires, but the rear started to slide a little to the left, about a foot to 6 inches.  

Kania, It sounds like the camaro has a limited slip or an open differential (I can't remember the difference right off hand ??? ) while you have a locking diff.  He didn't slide sideways because only one of his rear tires had no traction, the other held his car straight.  Yours has both tires to break loose.  Obviously, if you have no traction in the front/back directon, you have none left and right (unless you are a skater or skiier).  :thumbs:

He only got 1 wheel to spin, but left a nice black patch of rubber.  I on the other hand lined up the truck so I wouldn't slam into anything if it got loose (started at the end of the parking lot), and stood on it for about 10 seconds.  I know it's juvenile, but hey, I got a V8, and he's got a 6 banger!  Had to defend my manhood and Chevy's everywhere right?  Anyway, after I let go of the brake, it kept spinning both tires, but the rear started to slide a little to the left, about a foot to 6 inches.  

Kania, It sounds like the camaro has a limited slip or an open differential (I can't remember the difference right off hand ??? ) while you have a locking diff.  He didn't slide sideways because only one of his rear tires had no traction, the other held his car straight.  Yours has both tires to break loose.  Obviously, if you have no traction in the front/back directon, you have none left and right (unless you are a skater or skiier).  :thumbs:

Open diff would only spin 1 wheel.  Limited slip would spin both.  Locking diff would spin both, but suppose to unlock at speed.  The sideways slide is caused by one of the wheels spinning slightly faster than the other due to the friction in the clutch plates in the diff.

The camero left 2 nice black patches, that are still there, the Stang only left the 1, but d@mn if it aint a black one!  Do the newer trucks have a proportioning valve on them?  We put one on the 68 so we could power brake more easily if we wanted to.

first off the stang had a open diff or a posi that was cooked from power braking. then your truck has a posi. a locker most of the time only lets off whent you take your foot just about all the way off the gass. cool  :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

As for doing a smoke show with a stock clutch I don't recommend it.

Excessive shifting during a burn out (so you don't rev your motor too high and dumping the clutch till you get to 3rd won't be good for it)

Not saying I don't do it.  But I've also payed the 900 dollar price tag after I burnt out my first stocker.  But now i have a dual friction performance clutch heh heh.

As for  a clutch burnout, rev it to about say 3k

then dump it. (right foot has to maintain gas and brake)

then when you get your speed up quickly slam into second, then you should be going fast enough to let up and rev it till there is ton's of smoke all around you.  I tend to stall out when I try to go for 3rd though (around 40mph on the speedo)

I suggest practicing, so's not to embarass yerself in front of thy peers!

Go here;  www.chevy4x4trucks.com/CMNTMXR81 and scroll down to MVC-018V.MPG

That's me power braking with mine.  :thumbs:

as to how to do it with a stick, it's very simple.  It just needs some quick foot coordination.  :devil:  I used to have to do it before I got my line lock on the Camaro.  CLutch in, gas up to about 3,500rpm, pop the clutch and quick jam my clutch foot on the brake and sustain a 3,500rpm burn out to heat and clean the tires for about 10 seconds.

Archived