The Most Miles You've Driven On One Tank

well it's always been my quest to someday make 500 miles on one tank of fuel, with a standard 26 gallon tank. yesterday I came the closest I ever have. I netted 459 miles (over 2 weeks) for an average of 18.3 MPG plus/minus .1, that's the best i've ever done! previous best was 17.9 MPG not bad for a 6 year old crew cab 4X4, with nearly 100,000 miles, heavy chrome wheels, with 4.10 gears :cheers:

at a stop light about a mile before I filled up

IMAG0098.jpg

so how about you....what's the farthest you've ever driven on one tank of fuel? anybody ever make 500 miles???

I have cracked 400 on every tank so far. My last car I kept a spread sheet with MPG and all the pertinent stuff. I was going to do it with this truck too but haven't yet started. I am scared to let the tank run too low in this truck because of the fuel pump over heating issue.

I will see how many miles I get out of this tank when I fill up Friday.

I have cracked 400 on every tank so far. My last car I kept a spread sheet with MPG and all the pertinent stuff. I was going to do it with this truck too but haven't yet started. I am scared to let the tank run too low in this truck because of the fuel pump over heating issue.

I usually don't let it run that low. Most of my tanks average around 250 miles. In my old car, that was about as far as I could go before it was really empty and it seems like I am still in the habit of looking for gas stations when that time comes around.

I usually don't let it run that low. Most of my tanks average around 250 miles. In my old car, that was about as far as I could go before it was really empty and it seems like I am still in the habit of looking for gas stations when that time comes around.

Depends on what year, what sized truck, etc. If your tank runs only 250 miles and it's anywhere near new, you aren't getting very good mileage. Mine runs 425 miles on a tank...course I have a reg. cab short bed, but I do tow around 3500 lbs. 2-3 times a week.

Depends on what year, what sized truck, etc. If your tank runs only 250 miles and it's anywhere near new, you aren't getting very good mileage. Mine runs 425 miles on a tank...course I have a reg. cab short bed, but I do tow around 3500 lbs. 2-3 times a week.

Haha, nope. I had a 1987 Monte Carlo with a ZZ4 and a 4.10 posi. It actually did get okay highway mileage, but had an 18 gallon tank. Made for short trips.

I've driven about 17500 miles with the same tank, but I've had to fill it up a lot of times.

OH

Wait...

:lol:

:cool: I was waiting for someone to chime in with that response

I don't remember the exact # of miles but I almost made it from Detroit to DC on One tank averging 23 mpg I"m pretty sure it was over 500...I had to fill up about 20 miles short

very impressive. what speed where you traveling? i'm trying to keep it at 65 MPH on the freeway (up and down US 127 from Lansing to Mt. Pleasant), right there I'm cruising about 2000 RPMs and the engine can produce about 19-20 MPG depending on wind, climate, and traffic. If i went one trip, on a whole tank at 60 MPH, I think i would crack 500 miles.

4.10s and the wheels are dogging me a little.

For the most part I kept it around 65 or so, this was on a 2wd truck with 3.42 gears, and the little tires(245/70r17) I'm not sure how much the afm had to do with that also. Now since the lift and new tires I'm sure there is no way I could get that anymore

I've driven about 17500 miles with the same tank, but I've had to fill it up a lot of times.

OH

Wait...

:lol:

:cool: I was waiting for someone to chime in with that response

I don't remember the exact # of miles but I almost made it from Detroit to DC on One tank averging 23 mpg I"m pretty sure it was over 500...I had to fill up about 20 miles short

very impressive. what speed where you traveling? i'm trying to keep it at 65 MPH on the freeway (up and down US 127 from Lansing to Mt. Pleasant), right there I'm cruising about 2000 RPMs and the engine can produce about 19-20 MPG depending on wind, climate, and traffic. If i went one trip, on a whole tank at 60 MPH, I think i would crack 500 miles.

4.10s and the wheels are dogging me a little.

I've made it 490 miles on 24 gallons once. Just once. All the planets were aligned properly and I had a serious tail wind. :cool: But no, seriously I did go that distance. Never happened again. The best I have done since then was 430 miles in 24 gallons.

Archived