My truck is a 2002 2500HD with the 6.0 motor. Ive had flowmasters on their for almost 6 years now (can't believe they haven't rusted out yet) and want the truck to sound a little louder but still be able to pass state inspection. Need to have the cats and mufflers.

My question is; what would headers really do? Help more exhaust leave creating a tad more power? How about sound, would the truck sound better/louder?

How about short versus long? I really know nothing about these that's why I'm asking.

Get longutbes there worth the extra money as they'll make it louder and give you some more power

Any brand recommendations? How about material? I've heard of Gibson and Pacesetter. Seen them in stainless and ceramic coated. Is one better then the other?

Pacestter, hooker headers, and kooks all make some good stuff...make sure to research everything real close before shelling out the money though

Where do you live? I'd get up to date on your states laws as some states won't like non-factory cats with long tubes. Shorties don't do anything on a stock or near stock LS engine.

Unless you have a modified fuel system or consiutantly live in the high rpm range (race car) Headers wont do diddly for power or fuel economy. Gm goes to great lengths (as well as most modern engine mfgr,s) to insure engines today run at the highest possable efiiciancy. it,s not like the old days, More is not always better, It,s the complete design package that counts, I think if you found any honest Dyno operator who has done befor/after test ratings on vehicles with headers,you will find little or no improvement,and in some cases ,even lower torque output at low rpms with the headers, ( Dont belive the header ad charts.,they,re extremely subjective)

Unless you have a modified fuel system or consiutantly live in the high rpm range (race car) Headers wont do diddly for power or fuel economy. Gm goes to great lengths (as well as most modern engine mfgr,s) to insure engines today run at the highest possable efiiciancy. it,s not like the old days, More is not always better, It,s the complete design package that counts, I think if you found any honest Dyno operator who has done befor/after test ratings on vehicles with headers,you will find little or no improvement,and in some cases ,even lower torque output at low rpms with the headers, ( Dont belive the header ad charts.,they,re extremely subjective)

So how about making the truck sound better then it currently does? Would the long tube headers make the truck sound "meaner" and louder or not anything noticeable?

Most of the tone is created by a nicely balanced exhaust system (98%)...Headers wont contribute much there. They may however,depending on quaity,produce a "tinny" sound uner acceleration that can be mistaken for spark knock. It,s not,it,s combustion sound transmitted thru the thinner pipe that the stock manifold would normally insulate.Heat retention and or heat "sinking" provided by the heavier manifolds are also an imprtant consideration,esp with alum heads. We,ve found in the past that engines running header would sometimes have considerably higher cyl head temps. In the long run,over time,it could certainly be an issue.

Well, maybe I'll stay away from getting headers. I just want louder exhaust then I have. I have two 40 series Flowmasters and everyone I know says how loud and deep the truck is. Maybe I need to have my exhaust tips angled out to the side rather then going straight back like I have them now. Oh well........

get high flow cats,long tube headers will provide a pretty damn good boost in hp ftlbs threw out the powerband.Most ppl get longtubes for the hp/torque,but if you have no cats the longtubes will stop just about all the popping and crackling.

Well, maybe I'll stay away from getting headers. I just want louder exhaust then I have. I have two 40 series Flowmasters and everyone I know says how loud and deep the truck is. Maybe I need to have my exhaust tips angled out to the side rather then going straight back like I have them now. Oh well........

get the exhaust tips cut off and have turn-downs put on before they reach the rear axle.

get the exhaust tips cut off and have turn-downs put on before they reach the rear axle.

So basically that is right behind where the mufflers are located right? So even with the same mufflers I have now, getting rid of the tips and the additional exhaust pipe will make it louder?

So basically that is right behind where the mufflers are located right? So even with the same mufflers I have now, getting rid of the tips and the additional exhaust pipe will make it louder?

it has in my experience. it could just be from the effect of the exhaust bouncing off the ground instead of being directed out behind the truck. my 2010 5.3 had a flowmaster 40 with a turndown and it was noticeably louder than my 2011 5.3 with a flowmaster 40 directed out the back behind the right rear wheel.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived