Goodyear Tires Blew @ 25k miles....WTF???

zogg

Two weeks ago I bought my 09 Silverado with 25,345 miles on it. Beautiful truck, but nothing special. My concern was that it had a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires on it. They looked great with about 50-60% tread, and not sidewall damage or scrapes....but I have had problems with Goodyear tires int he past.

So yesterday, I am driving down the interstate at 70 mph, and I hear a bang from the front. Then the truck starts bouncing and the warning light on the dash says I need to check the left front tire pressure. By the time I got to the shoulder, I was driving .on the rim....ugh

So, I ordered a complete set of new Cooper DIscoverer AT3s from treadepot.com ($619 for the set with shipping), and they should be hear tomorrow. I decided if one Goodyear was bad, the rest are too.

Today, I go out to the garage to go to work, and the right rear tire is flat. I turn on the compressor and try to fill it up, but the side wall had blown out over night, I guess. So now I am stuck without a spare (also a crappy Goodyear) because it is already on the left front.

I will never, ever, never buy a Goodyear tire or a vehicle with Goodyear tires on it!!!!

In fact, I used to sell tires at Sears, and for every tire that came back to the store due to a blow out, thrown tread, or split sidewall, at least 7 out of ten were Goodyears.....

Can't wait for the Coopers to get here so I can have some real tires on my truck.

Very odd. Maybe the first owner didn't keep full pressure in the tires? My stock Wrangler AT/S tires have 41k, and still have plenty of tread. I've towed a heavy camper about 30% of those miles, but I run 40+ psi when doing that. These tires run very smooth, so I can't complain.

Sounds like you ran over something on the highway. I have AT/S' on my winter rims with probably 30K miles on them and they are still at 50% and have been good tires. My brother has a set on his truck and has 70K+ on them and they still have some tread left. He did have to replace on because he punctured it at a constuction sight, but he has also done that with other brand tires on his truck.

Generally when the sidewall splits you will find that the tire was run flat at some time. The problem with just plugging a tire with the simple plugs is that you have no idea what the inside of the tire looks like. A tire that is run flat for even a very short distance will cut up the inside of the sidewall. If the technician does not take the tire off the rim to repair a nail hole, they will not see the damage inside. Miles later the tire blows out, and the tire manufacturer gets blamed for it.

Two weeks ago I bought my 09 Silverado with 25,345 miles on it. Beautiful truck, but nothing special. My concern was that it had a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires on it. They looked great with about 50-60% tread, and not sidewall damage or scrapes....but I have had problems with Goodyear tires int he past.

So yesterday, I am driving down the interstate at 70 mph, and I hear a bang from the front. Then the truck starts bouncing and the warning light on the dash says I need to check the left front tire pressure. By the time I got to the shoulder, I was driving .on the rim....ugh

So, I ordered a complete set of new Cooper DIscoverer AT3s from treadepot.com ($619 for the set with shipping), and they should be hear tomorrow. I decided if one Goodyear was bad, the rest are too.

Today, I go out to the garage to go to work, and the right rear tire is flat. I turn on the compressor and try to fill it up, but the side wall had blown out over night, I guess. So now I am stuck without a spare (also a crappy Goodyear) because it is already on the left front.

I will never, ever, never buy a Goodyear tire or a vehicle with Goodyear tires on it!!!!

In fact, I used to sell tires at Sears, and for every tire that came back to the store due to a blow out, thrown tread, or split sidewall, at least 7 out of ten were Goodyears.....

Can't wait for the Coopers to get here so I can have some real tires on my truck.

Why is it that I do not believe that statement, if you had that many come back why wouldnt there have been a recall? If all that really happened you have no clue on how or what happened to those tires before you bought the truck. If it would have been another tire company would you still post the same problem?

I have never had problems with goodyear tires in the 32 years I have been driving and I have owned alot of Goodyear tires in that time.

I would be going back to the place you bought the truck from 2 weeks ago and tell them about it and not be going out and buying new tires for the truck, Have you done that? That is some of what make this post a little strange.

I'm not a fan of the SR A's on mine, the low ply rating causes a lot of flats, I'll be putting Falken Wildpeaks on once I've run every last mile out of these. I think the sidewalls flex more than the springs do when I hook up to anything. E ranges have treated me much better.

i personally think goodyear tires are junk, i have had many bad experiences and so have people i know.

A little overpriced? Sure. Junk? Doubtful. They wouldn't be as popular or around this long if their tires were just junk. Remember the old OEM Firestones that kept exploding on the Ford Explorers about ten years ago? Many swore them off. However the best set of tires I ever owned were some Firestone Destination A/T's. Took everything I threw at them with no issues. I've still only got 12k on my OEM Goodyears, but I've had no complaints thus far.

i personally think goodyear tires are junk, i have had many bad experiences and so have people i know.

A little overpriced? Sure. Junk? Doubtful. They wouldn't be as popular or around this long if their tires were just junk. Remember the old OEM Firestones that kept exploding on the Ford Explorers about ten years ago? Many swore them off. However the best set of tires I ever owned were some Firestone Destination A/T's. Took everything I threw at them with no issues. I've still only got 12k on my OEM Goodyears, but I've had no complaints thus far.

ive had many diffrent goodyears and they all have worn extremely fast and ive had many flats with goodyear. i had 2 diffrent types of goodyear on 3 of my trucks and they were all bad. Firestone makes a great tire. any type of Destination tires are great, and the Transforce tires are really amazing too.

thats just my opinion on goodyears, i could be wrong i could be right who knows

Those firestones were failing simply due to running stupid low air pressures. For whatever reason, Ford was suggesting 26 to 28 psi on those tires. Do that in Florida, in the summer and it will fail. The sidewalls would end up melting. Anytime you get a sidewall failing, you will also find evidence of tire being run with low air pressure.

Archived