Lower Steering Column Bearing Installed

Easy less than one hour installation for new lower steering column bearing for GMT-800. Cured a steering rattle that persisted beyound intermediate steering shaft replacement. I could actually see it moving within the bearing and making noise. I had to WD-40 the shaft to get the bearing to slide on, but I was able to get it on without tools (it was a bear though). You don't need to remove the steering column as was said in the Helms manual. Picture of the old one is below, the new one looks redesigned. Hopefully it will last longer (for starter, it's green). Cost about 35 bucks at dealer.

post-15846-0-19109900-1335833655_thumb.jpg

post-15846-0-47260200-1335833689_thumb.jpg

I remember your other thread where several posted that the column needed to be removed. I have never removed it to replace a bearing. I believe Alldata doesn't remove the column. Congrats

I hope this will fix that issue. The rattle is annoying. I will be trying this part in the near future.

I am currently using the hose clamp method under the dash as described on the diesel truck forum and although it helps a little the rattle never went away.

Man, my mother borrowed my truck the other day and even she commented on the "dying goose" groan. On another note, rattle is completely gone with bearing replacement.

rattle fixed great!!

Now can anybody give a fix to the annoying groon in the column when turning left. sounds like a dying goose......

Double check your tire pressure, fluid level, condition. Top off/change as necessary. Lube up the front end and see what happens?

If you have tried all that...maybe the pump is going out?

Just some thoughts/suggestions.

I hope this will fix that issue. The rattle is annoying. I will be trying this part in the near future.

I am currently using the hose clamp method under the dash as described on the diesel truck forum and although it helps a little the rattle never went away.

Have you already replaced the ISS with the updated part?

The squeek is definitely at the top of the column near the steering wheel. I'm not even slightly concerned about it, just kind of strange. My uncles BMW does the same thing. I'm wondering if there isn't so much stuff up there now (airbags, wiring harnesses) that it's inevitable to not have some kind of rubbing noise.

• 4 months later...

How is the bearing holding up? I'm going to have to replace mine due to a slight rattle / clunking while turning. I have the "green" bearing installed at the factory with 31K on it. I contacted Dorman and was told that their bearing is an updated version of GM's newest bearing. Rockauto has it for $16.35. I'm not sure which one to go with. Any input comments would be greatly appreciated.

After having my intermediate shaft replaced, I was getting a creaky rattle from the column. I brought it back to the dealer many times to diagnose (they could not find it) and I tracked it down to the same bearing. The dealer then replaced and the noise when away. I don't have any noises turning the wheel, but do occasionally have the dead power steering problem that GM has been repairing (I am beyond the warranty so it will not be fixed).

bbwb

• 2 weeks later...

The new bearing has been holding up great on my truck. The green bearing is the new one, it shouldn't be failing this soon with only 31k miles. Make sure your intermediate steering shaft isn't making noise. You can go to the bottom of the steering column near the firewall (inside truck), grab the column, and see if you can get the bearing to make noise.

O.K. guys , I just about spit my coffee out on my monitor laughing! I clicked on this thread and started reading, as I need some help for the "damn dying goose" sound on my '01 YXL. What in the hell is that? I checked the PS fluid level, and it's full. I had changed the fluid out a while back, turkey bastor style, purging and refilling over the course of a few days, letting it cycle through.

Man, that sound is annoying as hell...........

Archived