What did you do with your truck/shop today

SarahsGMC

Question by member posted here to help others.

Battery Drain - illumination ghost in instrument panel

I read on this post that you have a possible fix for this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

HoC9bKN.jpg

Answer:

I suppose 03-04. Remove back cover only. Start by checking the back plain of the circuit board for copper migration. If you see any black or dark brown deposit around the copper islands (especially these 3 that look like Orion's belt )

Nl1PwLW.jpg

take some contact cleaner or brake cleaner the closest to 100% alcohol you can find then brush with hard bristle like a toothbrush.  Sanding pen works best but not everybody has these.PZMGzt9.jpg

IQaRwS6.jpg?1

If it cures the problem, you can then add lacquer or nail polish to the area so it doesn't happen again.

UAABQNP.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 11:29 PM, Chris said:

Funny you bring up Lexmark. My printers at work and probably a good majority on the base are Lexmark. And the govt probably pays 2-3 times what we do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Heh, if you have access to the " federal employee deals" offered by HP....:lol:. You pay the same "discount prices" the government does.

Years ago I was shocked by how overpriced it was. So I went to the HP Business sales site, and the HP Government sales site. Same PC, same specs and model number, warranty, everything. The one on the Gov. Site costs hundreds more. 

Organized my 180 new Milwaukee Shockwave Impact bits. And my new reciprocating blades set. They all came in red cases that match my new tools.  Organized some more stuff in my garage, moved some kid stuff to the shed.

Was looking at impact sockets set(bought some. But realized they are powder coated CR-V, probably ought to have some Cr-Mo on hand), and found some sets on Harbor Fright are advertised has CR-Mo, but features say made of Cr-V. That's shady. Pics show a Cr-V stamp. Think I'll just grab the deep metric Kobalt set for $60 sometime. Already tried the ones I have on lug nuts and they work fine.

Edited by SnakeEyeSS
  • Like 1

Swapped the Mazda to winter wheels and tires. Used the 2767 to take the lug nuts off, and my impact driver to put them on. Battery wouldn't charge because it's still full. The random internet people saying the 2767 is overkill for occasional auto use is hyperbole IMO. The 4th setting, nut removal, is fantastic( I bought the high torque since I have a Honda V6 with a timing belt) It seems to start low and then cut power once it can tell the nut is loose. I saw a elsewhere of "geez, so much power it will damage the threads". I don't see that happening. Although much weaker, the impact driver is more aggressive since it doesn't have the nut removal setting. And it just so happens on setting 2 the driver was tightening the lugs to 80-90. It was only taking a slight movement (1/8 to 1/4 turn) for my torque wrench to click at 95. Yeah, that is over the specs for the car, but with the dealer morons having them torqued over 200 I'm not worried. :lol:

Edited by SnakeEyeSS

On 11/30/2018 at 4:17 PM, Coby7 said:

About a month ago I ordered stepper motors, it normally take a week to 10 days to get these. I was down to 10 motors and was about to start refusing jobs on clusters. They were hung up at customs for a while, then the postal strike, then misdirected and work to rule.  Well they special delivered it to my house this afternoon with apologies just in time because I have 2 clusters coming tomorrow.  Here is what 1000 stepper motors look like, 100 per tray.

3wEzCxA.jpg

I was going to quit doing this, but since the demand for my services is so high, I'll quit after these 1000... That's what I said the last time too!

How do these differ in quality/ price from the white X27's floating around everywhere?

Well I buy them 1000 at a time so I get a good price. about $2.35 Cdn after shipping, tax and customs.  When I first started I used the white ones but they would fail. The last generation of white motors are better than the first generation.  But I've never had a black one fail on me yet, better quality, better design.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Coby7 said:

Well I buy them 1000 at a time so I get a good price. about $2.35 Cdn after shipping, tax and customs.  When I first started I used the white ones but they would fail. The last generation of white motors are better than the first generation.  But I've never had a black one fail on me yet, better quality, better design.

I think ya need your own "What cluster did Coby7 Repair today?"  thread.

How many do you figure you do in a year?

• Like 2

Started working on my suspension last night, still have the other side to complete.

Additionally, I am new and this is my first post. I have been on GMFULLSIZE since 2007 but I am looking for a forum with less children. So I'm gonna give this a go.

20181207_193418.jpg

20181207_184400.jpg

20181207_201742.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome Mike!

What kind of press do you have that was able to move that crazy spring? I tried 7 years ago to do mine ... and it bent my press! Had to bring the stupid things to the dealer ... where they installed my speed nuts for the strut on upside down ... :sick: That made installation real fun, let me tell ya ...

All too familiar sight for me. Been in there twice in 95k miles. First time for the blown strut and a bad lower ball joint that failed at 38k miles - did the work at around 43k. Then it all came apart again at 55k miles for upper control arms / ball joints, & hub bearings.

post-65085-0-01884800-1332987967_thumb.jpgpost-65085-0-52318300-1332988006_thumb.jpg

post-65085-0-38366100-1428947376_thumb.jpg

post-65085-0-34076000-1427195567_thumb.jpg

Jsdirt,

I used an old set up I have had for ever. Just all thread and some hooks. It was a struggle to make it happen, good hour to swap 1 spring. I would not recommend the process to anyone. 

Ya, the ball joint seems common, I fear taking to dang truck off road, always think I'll end up with a bad joint.

20181207_185524.jpg

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah that thing has some SERIOUS energy - would be an ER visit for sure if the press let go.

They sure don't build 'em like they used to. When I was 16, I don't remember ever changing ball joints on any one of the cars or trucks I had. Brakes, and wheel bearings I forgot to grease were about it.

Just finished a cluster refurbish LEDed in cool white.

Before picture shows the 2 bad stepper motors ( battery & fuel ), burnt bulb in the lower numbers of the speedometer and the dead PRND321 display.

O00Jlkm.jpg

PQcQxFr.jpg

M6hO3iF.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah I like the first 4, not crazy about the red though.  But the client is always right. Not crazy about green either but a lot of people like green.

xKEyKZf.jpg

Edited by Coby7