What did you do with your truck/shop today

SarahsGMC

When I was commuting, I was putting about 20k a year on the truck, or more. Haven't commuted since '09, so the truck went from above average miles for the model year, to below average.

We also have 3 vehicles, plus 3 motorcycles. If I don't have to haul anything, we usually take the wife's '93 940 or the '86 Grand Marquis for any kind of traveling. They both get much better mileage, and are both super comfy. Nothing beats the Merc in that department.

I've been using newspaper for years as well. I just suck at windows, if I only drove during the day then I wouldn't care as much but since 90% of my driving is at night my crap jobs are very apparent.

As far as mileage the beast has 43600ish miles and is an '09. Apparently my dad drove a lot less than I thought he did. Granted if he hadn't retired early it would be at least double that. I've only put about 3k on it since his passing in November, but I didn't work much in Nov/Dec or go anywhere.

Had the tint on the drivers side window replaced. Somehow some thing caused a knick in the film. Wasn't a big one, it was the size of the head of a sewing needle. But when sunlight hit the window it looked like the size of a quarter to me and stuck out. LOL Dude offers a lifetime warranty for as long as you own your vehicle so I took advantage of the great offer. Plan to go back in a few weeks to get the rear window and the two rear side windows tinted an additional 18% over the factory tint.

My El Camino looked just like that, coming home through WY on I-80 the first week of May, 2001.

Hit a nasty snowstorm headed eastbound about 300 miles outside of Cheyenne. Before the snow started, I almost spun out into the ditch while throttling up to climb a hill. Had a 18-wheeler behind me, I was making eye contact with the driver through my side window! The whole car and trailer was sideways across both lanes. Somehow I managed to drive out of it, got into the right lane, and sweat immediately started pouring down my face. HOLY CRAP what an adrenaline dump that was!!! Now that I knew my tires TOTALLY SUCKED in the snow, I was doing 45mph in the right lane for the next 15 grueling hours ...

I stopped for fuel, oil, and food in Cheyenne since the snow stopped - couldn't get my hood open. Was 4" of solid ice on the front. My headlights were the only bare surface - just a 3" circle in the center of each. My U-Haul trailer had a wedge-shaped form of ice at least 3' thick, that had built up over the miles - strangest thing I had ever seen! Wish I had got a picture of that. Was long before cell phone cameras. Chatting with a trucker, he told me I'd better beat-feet, since there were rumors of shutting the highway down any minute. Climbed a big hill out of Cheyenne, and was in the middle of hell! Couldn't see 3' in front of me, my wipers were thick blocks of ice not wiping anything, and I was sliding all over the place, white-knuckling the entire drive. Had to keep sticking my hand out the window to flick my wiper when I could catch it. Almost drove right into the back of a parked semi - couldn't tell where the road was! Boy was that close! Worst road conditions I have ever experienced in my life. Trucks were blowing by me at 65, since they knew the road was closing. Every time one blew by me, I almost lost control. What a ride!!

As I started descending in elevation in NE, the snow finally turned to rain. I was so beat! Pulled into a truck stop for more chow, and just stared at my car & trailer - the entire front had to have been 5" solid! That wedge on the trailer had grown even bigger too - I would bet it was 4' thick at the center. Went in and chowed, came back out, and the entire wedge of ice had fallen off in one giant block. I could hardly move it out of the way! Amazing it stuck there for all those miles. Was finally able to pound through the ice and get my hood open. Luckily since the RPM's were low, I still had enough oil in the crankcase (used to blow it out the breather at high RPM) to keep the engine safe. Topped off the tank, and found a spot to sleep. What a day that was! Don't think I went 400 miles in 16 hours.