Good idea to test your spare tire winch....

Saw a guy on the side of the road with a tire that exploded waiting for the tow truck. Thinking WTF! just change it.

Last night I figured to prevent being like him, I should actually drop the tire to make sure if it worked.

Yeh, what a farking adventure. Turns out during assembly, the retaining clip that holds the tube from the bumper to the winch was on the wrong side of the frame hole. So instead of spending the 30 seconds to thread it through the hole and install it, it was just left there dangling. :devil:

So it took an hour in the garage screwing around to figure out why I couldn't line up with the winch. Thanks GM. Would have been great for my wife and kids to be out in the winter and be totally f**ked...

So a heads up, grab a beer and check your spare tire winch. :smoker:

Mine wont unlock so its towtruck for me if i ever get a flat. A buddy of mine works at a dealership and says people come in weekly to complain and try and get it fixed. Seems like it needs to be redisigned.

How about lubing it a couple times a year? It does spend an awful lot of time getting exposure to the elements after all...

That is a good idea, I am going to have to test mine to see if it works.

About 2 months after I bought my truck a neighbor who owns an 04 Silverado came over and asked to borrow the handle extensions to drop down his spare tire and change his flat since he didn't have his.

So I went to loosen the wing nut to get the tool bag out and the thing was stripped.

A brand new truck and the stud is stripped. It took me 15 minutes to get the wing nut off.

I got the dealer to repair the stud and wing nut, but I am glad I used it. Could you imagine the frustration finding that out when you get a flat after your warranty runs out.

I am going to check my spare tire operation this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbs:

Second on this...it is so easy to ignore. I'm going to do mine next week. I haven't used mine in more than 3 years...who knows whats up. I do pressure checks, but I haven't winched it down in ages. The last time i used it I had to play with the "secondary lock" bullshit.

Second on this...it is so easy to ignore. I'm going to do mine next week. I haven't used mine in more than 3 years...who knows whats up. I do pressure checks, but I haven't winched it down in ages. The last time i used it I had to play with the "secondary lock" bullshit.

That's the issue. I kept thinking "need to check the air pressure of the spare", but that gets forgotten as well (out of sight out of mind). Turns out it was low, so it was good to get that all taken care of.

Don't just winch it down and back up again and call it a day. There were problems with the secondary locking mechanism rusting. I let mine down about once a year and lube the lock really well. Also check the boot where the lock fits into when the tire is stored.

Archived