Need more umph !

I'm towing a Pop Up camper that maxes out at 3,500#.....I'm probably towing at less than that.....not much gear for my Wife (99#), myself (180#), and our dog (14#)....never weighed it loaded to go. Anyhow, I'm towing with an '06 Silverado E/C, 5.3L and 3:42 gears......I know the gearing isn't helping much, but if I'm traveling at 70mph, and hit a slight incline, it doesn't take long for the truck to start down shifting, upshifting, then downshift again while losing speed.....I do use Tow/Haul mode. What can I do realistically to help with power/torque.....a Tune ???....exhaust ????....air intake system ???....not looking to replace gears, or spend thousands.....any suggestions

I drove from North Dakota to South Carolina this summer and pulled a U-Haul trailer (double axel) with about 2K in weight inside it. I used the tow haul and overdrive with my 5.3, 4spd, & 3.42 gear. Truck pulled great but I did loose some power when I went up a hill. To combat it, I would kick the transmission out of lockup before the hill on my own to have extra power, and if needed I would down shift to 3rd gear. Even in the Blue Ridge Mountains the truck did fine.

I would say if you wanted to upgrade, tune definately and maybe an exhaust.

exhaust isnt going to render you much power for towing. your best bet is going to be a tune, and an intake. both pretty cheap things to do. also mentioned above, regearing.

I usually tow with Tow/Haul Mode in "Drive"...never tried 3rd, might try it on my way to work tomorrow (no trailer), just to see where my RPM's will be...looking at an upcoming 4-5 hour pull in September and don't wanna blow it up (84,000 miles). I figured a Tune would be the way to go, just neeed someone to agree.....maybe I shoulda bought that new 2500 Crew Cab my Wife me to buy last month :dunno:

i have the same problem with my 4.8 and 5.3 even when towing little weight like your 3500lbs.

whenever i see i big hill or incline i would just shift it down into 3rd before the incline and keep it in 3rd until your at the top. shifting it that way will be the easiest on your tranny.

yeah a tune and intake will help a little bit but not enough to justify spending 500+ for them.

the bigger the engine the better it will tow

Tune and gears. I hauled about 6k pounds of dirt a few months ago with a tune while in tow/haul. The truck did pretty good. The tune definitely helped, but regear is next on the list. I have 3.42 right now and want to go to 4.10 minimum.

Don't shift it down to 3rd while you're driving. Leave it there all the time, unless you're in a really flat area. With hills, you'll do better mileage wise with the higher RPMs in third than you will shifting back and forth. You won't hurt anything by spinning a faster RPM, constant shifting is hard on stuff though.

I'm leary on regearing....afraid somebody will screw something up....and being 4wd, thats 2 sets of gear$. I did give it a run in 3rd on the way to work.....70mph = 2300 rpm......75mph brought it to almost 3,000 rpm....not sure I want to do that for 4-5 hour trip, but it seemed to jump pretty good. I'm gonna price out gearing.....any reccomendation on a Tune, and Intake. Thanks :driving:

Regearing can be pricey. If you ask around I'm sure you could find someone that will recommend a good shop.

As for the tune Blackbear. A lot of people have their tunes and it is night and day difference.

You shouldn't be going any faster than 55 while towing a trailer. Read the side wall on the trailer tires i garuntee you they say that. Just put it in 3rd and go. You won't have to regear, it will probably be around 2100 rpms at that point.

You run 55mph around here and ya get run over. Camper tows right behind the truck without a problem.....brought her up to 95mph for about 2 miles trying to catch up to a buddy, tracked perfect, checked everything at next stop, tires okay, not heat build up, everything stayin' cool. I'm confident in the set up, just tired of hammering the truck trying to keep pace with my buddies F150....who, by the way, has 3:73's, and the same motor, but I'm not looking to drop big $$$

Archived