Well Toyota finally did it!!

doverarjim

Just saw an ad on tv where Toyota bragged and showed pictures of their truck pulling the space shuttle!! Makes me think back to a time long long ago where a guy pulled a train with his teeth!! :jester:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I paused the TV when I saw that commercial and read the small disclaimer.

Do not attempt. The Tundra is towing more than it is rated. This was done for a short distance and serious damage can occur

Something like that

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

A guy I play poker with has a Tundra CrewMax with the 5.7 and he doesn't like the commercial. He thinks its stupid and almost encourages people to overload their truck.

As I tell my wife, the commercial people play on the ignorance (normally use alternate term but I'll be nice) of the common man. Sure they will make some sales happen but the first time someone wants warranty repairs for doing something stupid with their truck....they'll be out on their butts.

I've had my truck overloaded going up and down steep 8% grades on a winding road with an 11,000 pound toy hauler because the dodge 2500 grenaded the transfer case 2 weeks before the trip. I had no trans cooler and it was 105 outside. I knew my weight rating for the truck but I knew all the risks and no one to blame but myself

That's the difference you knew going into the haul you were overloaded. Met soooo many people that bought a truck "thinking" they could do all this great stuff because the salesman "said I could" and then wonders why their vehicle comes up broke. I've also overloaded my truck, including on the trip that go me to Georgia from Alaska. However if something were to break I knew who to blame. Idiotic commercials, advertisements, programming, needs to stop. Just my opinion. I'd love to haul the shuttle but I'm not going use my 1/2 ton just to "prove a point" or whatever Toyota was thinking.

And my drive was a 4 hour tow. I don't have a electronic brake controller either which made the tow that much harder. I towed one way. I had to leave the campsite to go to class so when I got back to town I dropped my uncle off to get his Dodge from the shop and he drove back to camp for the night and brought his trailer home the next day with it.

Didn't they have an advertisement where they gave an older gentleman a truck and he flat out said he overloaded it numerous times and it kept going? Why would you brag about overloading numerous times?

If that was towards me, I overloaded by a lot once because I was in a pinch.

To the OP: What is it Toyota finally did?

My guess is over the top advertising/bragging

I agree that Toyota should not advertise the usage of their vehicles in an irresponsible manner because consumers will more than likely imitate it. Then that person will wonder why their truck is either limping home or just can’t make it. However, Toyota is not the auto manufacturer who does this.

Oh I know they aren't the only one. But I have a good sized flat screen in my living room and I had to pause it and concentrate to read the disclaimer. Its that small. And they are the ones at the moment showing off and going to make people think

"A stock Tundra towed the space shuttle so since I have a CAI, cat-back, and a tune, I could pull this 30 ft 5th wheel up a mountain road to a campsite"

Archived