Tranny over heating while towing

All h I personally think that radiator that came with the truck is too small and maybe there is something wrong with this because it doesn't happen all the time but sometimes when I'm pulling and I'm in traffic the truck overheats maybe I should upgrade to a larger 1. As for the transmission goes it's between 180 and 200 right now about 190 and I'm not pulling the trailer normal driving no traffic.. and I have upgraded the cooler and replaced ALL the transmission fluid under normal driving conditions I should be running cooler then what it says in the book because of the upgrade that's what worries me I think there might be something other wrong in the transmission

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK-thanks. So you really have no idea what the transmission temperature was. And since you didn't have a tranny cooler-you didn't have the tow pkg. Not giving you a hard time-just separating out the facts.

I installed a receiver and my truck pulling that trailer was under a last resort situation. Since then I beefed it up

I read where GM says the New Dexos Tranny fluid will be good up to 275 degrees. I don't think around 200 is anything to worry about. Again, your DIC will tell you if your transmission gets too hot!

WHO HAS SEEN THE DIC (transmission hot) MESSAGE ON THIS ENTIRE THREAD? PLEASE TELL US ABOUT IT!

Even though the fluid may be rated for 275 degrees, if your seals are older and have some age to them, It could break them down faster. And I for one have not seen the message, but I have an alert set on my Bully Dog tuner for 230

Hi,

some symptoms of transmission overheating. If your transmission is over heating,its important to check your transmission fluid regularly and make sure tere is no sign of burning in the fluid which should be a bright reddish colour with no real odor.as it burns it will turn black than actually become a brownish colour as a chemical continous to decompose.The radiator cool your transmission when your engine is overheated.

Hi,

some symptoms of transmission overheating. If your transmission is over heating,its important to check your transmission fluid regularly and make sure tere is no sign of burning in the fluid which should be a bright reddish colour with no real odor.as it burns it will turn black than actually become a brownish colour as a chemical continous to decompose.The radiator cool your transmission when your engine is overheated.

Everybody is concerned about 200 degree temps while towing- The new Dexron will holdup to temperatures of 275. The owners manual is not clear. It says 200 degrees is the upper end of normal. BUT, it doesn't say what normal is for towing. NOR, has anybody here (with the exception of one poster who towed with his truck w/o it being properly equipped) has ever seen the DIC message "transmission overheating-idle motor" or soemthing to that effect.

With the B&M cooler, does it have a larger capacity that the stock cooler?

Right now with the stock cooler and a pan drop/filter change it takes 5 quarts. With the new cooler, will it take the same 5 qts or will it take more (5.5, 6 qts)?

Also, is there any sort of purge that you need to do to get the air out once you attach the new cooler?

With the B&M cooler, does it have a larger capacity that the stock cooler?

Right now with the stock cooler and a pan drop/filter change it takes 5 quarts. With the new cooler, will it take the same 5 qts or will it take more (5.5, 6 qts)?

Also, is there any sort of purge that you need to do to get the air out once you attach the new cooler?

It will hold a little bit more fluid but nothing significant. And as for bleeding just make sure your fluid level is good and let it idle after installation for 5 min. or so to get all the air bubbles out of the Iines. That's what I have done for all of my coolers and it has worked out fine. Nothing special needs to be done

It will hold a little bit more fluid but nothing significant. And as for bleeding just make sure your fluid level is good and let it idle after installation for 5 min. or so to get all the air bubbles out of the Iines. That's what I have done for all of my coolers and it has worked out fine. Nothing special needs to be done

I didn't think there was anything special to do as far as getting air out since it's not a closed system like a brake system.

Looks like all I need to get are the adapters to connect the quick connects to the B&M cooler and I'm set. And fabricate up some brackets.

• 3 weeks later...

just a quick update the truck is been pretty good lately its been 98 degrees outside and I'm pulling the trailer through traffic and it hasn't gone above 200 degrees the transmission temp as far as the truck overheating I had the coolant flushed and it's been great ever sense thank you all for your input and help

Archived