2004 Silverado Steering Wheel Groan?

I've searched high and low and read numerous posts about this strange noise that appears to be coming from the steering column right below the steering wheel but no updated answers. I just bought a 2004 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 with 130000 miles, well cared for clean truck. I love the truck and have zero complaints but the weird rubbing/groaning noise coming from the steering wheel/column. The noise only occurs when turning left and it sounds like rubber rubbing against rubber and you can feel it slightly in the wheel. I sprayed a little WD in the rubber boot where the shaft goes through the firewall and I replaced the power steering fluid but no luck. I read where having the front end lubed has fixed it, replacing the ISS (?) spring has fixed it and replacing the gear box has fixed it lol. I was just curious if anyone had any good updated information on what's really causing it.

It looks like it's a fairly common problem with these trucks but not normal. I had an 03 just like it and it didn't make the noise, I did have the steering shaft replaced because of the clunking noise on 03 but no rubbing/growling noises. I feel what makes it even weirder is the fact it only does it when you turn the wheel left.

my 03 has been doing it for years. some say it's the clock spring. mine used to be bad when it's cold outside now it's doing it all the time..next time i'm at the dealer i'm going to have them check it out..

my 03 has been doing it for years. some say it's the clock spring. mine used to be bad when it's cold outside now it's doing it all the time..next time i'm at the dealer i'm going to have them check it out..

I've read about the spring some say that's what it is but I'm not sure. The temps around here have been 40-50 degrees of a morning and my truck doesn't make the noise until you've driven it for 20-30 minutes it doesn't do it cold. I thought maybe since it wasn't doing it cold that maybe the power steering fluid needed changed because the viscosity was breaking down when warmed up. I changed the fluid using the Lucas stuff but no luck.

I did a little more digging around last night after pulling in the garage, I had my daughter move the wheel while I dug around under the hood some more. I had her slowly move the wheel back and forth with the wheels cut to the left where it makes it's worst noise. I really feel it's in the gear box which some have mentioned the gear box being the culprit. I grabbed one of the lines on top and could really feel the vibration resonating out of the gear box each time she moved the steering wheel.

Same here w/ my 2006 with 75k- I’ve read that it’s the plastic column bushing.....dealer wants to disassemble the steering column to find it.

I just pisses my off that GM wont issue a recall for this problem!

Now the damn ISS is cluncking again.....keep us post on what you find.

How about some help >>>>>>>TRISH GM Customer service<<<<<<<<<

Same here w/ my 2006 with 75k- I’ve read that it’s the plastic column bushing.....dealer wants to disassemble the steering column to find it.

I just pisses my off that GM wont issue a recall for this problem!

Now the damn ISS is cluncking again.....keep us post on what you find.

How about some help >>>>>>>TRISH GM Customer service<<<<<<<<<

I'll definitely post up my findings, I'm going to replace the gear box and hope that fixes it. The box is around $215.00 which I guess isn't bad just sucks to have to spend that kind of money for a noise, it steers great. I agree with you it's a crock GM won't issue a recall on this since there's so many with the same problem.

I have the same problem with my 03 Yukon. I have replaced the ISS, the plastic bearing at the bottom of the shaft ( new version ), and the steering wheel position sensor and problem still there. I believe there is a bearing just behind the steering wheel and my guess is that is the problem. Mine feels like that is where it is coming from. It will be nice if someone figures out the problem

I have the same sound and slight feeling in the steering wheel. Does it when I turn left or right. I will be interested to see what the fix is for this. I don't drive my truck enough to fix it right now (have 24/7 use of my work truck). My truck is super clean and very well maintained by the previous owner. Just replaced a bunch of wearing items and all fluids. Has 99k on it.

I'm kinda in the same as you Derek I have a work truck so my personal truck doesn't get drove much. I would've bet a paycheck that the noise was being cause by rubber rubbing on rubber or plastic or something right there in the steering wheel itself. However since grabbing the pressure line right where it comes out the top of the gear box while my daughter was moving the wheel getting it to make that noise I'm really leaning towards the gear box. I wish I had the extra money right now to replace it so maybe we can all get an answer.

I had an '02 Sierra that did this from day 1...the company I work for still has the truck and it still makes the noise. Doesn't seem like it has caused any problems, just annoying more than anything..I had an '03 though and it never made a groan at all

• 1 year later...

Was wondering if there was a fix for this. " There is a weird rubbing/groaning noise coming from the steering wheel/column. The noise only occurs when turning left and it sounds like rubber rubbing against rubber and you can feel it slightly in the wheel." I have a 2004 Silverado Z71 with 80K on it, has been making the noise for awhile, have had it to 2 mechanics with no luck. One just told me that his truck did the same and to deal with it??

I'll definitely post up my findings, I'm going to replace the gear box and hope that fixes it. The box is around $215.00 which I guess isn't bad just sucks to have to spend that kind of money for a noise, it steers great. I agree with you it's a crock GM won't issue a recall on this since there's so many with the same problem.

Chiefmorton well did you solve the problem?

My truck 03, did the exact same thing. I replaced the ISS and it didn't help. I just put a new steering box in and the sound is gone!

what was the cost of the steering box? new/reman.?

Archived