check engine light bulb replacement

2004 2500HD chevrolet. CEL was on but went out while driving. Had the truck at the stealership for some other repairs and they said that the CEL bulb was burnt out but that it could not be repaired, in order to get it on again would mean replacing the whole cluster. Is this true or am I able to remove the cluster and solder in a new bulb?

As stupid as this sounds I pulled my cluster to pull the bulb out and ditch it (been on since 2009) and there was no bulb I could find

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

There are people on ebay who can rebuild the clusters but honestly I've never heard of that before. Does the light come on during prove out when you first turn the key to on?

They said it would be $65 for the repair plus shipping costs. I find it hard to believe that I cant do this myself. Really I just need to know what kind of LED/or regular bulb to buy.

I ahve seasrched the web thouroughly and I have found a lot on replacing the dash bulbs behind the guages but nothing on the warning lights like CEL and battery light. Those seem to be stock LED.

They are LED and they'll be soldered onto the circuit board. I am not sure how easy that can be done unless you have some serious soldering experience.

• 1 month later...

Turns out the previous owner yanked the CEL LED out of the circuit board and now nothing can be soldered in its place, I had thought that it was on but I must have just imagined that. So I am living without it and just scanning regularly for codes.

Archived