Leveling Kit, or trailer effecting tire wear?

KGTR312

Hey, I own a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500, I have a 2" left in the front (Levelling kit). My front tires are wearing out unevenly, I went to see my mechanic today, he said it's due to my trailer putting to much weight on the rear causing the front to lose alignment and also cause the suspension to not work effectively (Not hes exact words).

Any truth behind this?

I asked him how can we fix this, he replied. flip the tires and make an aggressive alignment.

i have never heard of anything like that happening before... you might just need a simple alignment. put the rear tires on the front and get the truck PROPERLY aligned, (not at a place like Tires Plus), and watch closesly if they are still wearing.

Too much weight on the back will lift the front and cause unusual tire wear, but you need to be towing often.. A weight distribution bar can help. Did you re align your front end after install of the 2'' lift kit?

He should of did a realignment, I didn't tell him but isn't it part of the process? 75 % of the driving I do is towing my trailer for work. How about putting in another leaf spring?

Well at this point you're going to need another realignment if you got one in the first place is another story. Leaf springs should help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

If the alignment wasn't done properly it will eat the tires. It's possible to set the alignment so that your steering wheel is straight and the truck drives straight, but still have settings out that will eat your tires. It sounds like they didn't properly align the truck from the get go. You would have to be towing quite a load all of the time to cause a tire wear issue.

I agree that your alignment probably wasn't done correctly after the level kit....so normal driving would cause your tires to wear unevenly....and bringing the nose up even more when pulling a heavy trailer will just exaggerate things. I would get the alignment checked and go from there.

Archived