6.2L gear ratios

what do you guys think regarding rear end gear ratio mated with the 6.2L motor?? Originally, I was thinking wait for the max trailer pkg and the 3.73 cause thats what I have, have never had anything higher, and I do good amts of moderate towing, (this is why I am upgrading from 5.3L w/ 3.73 and 4spd because it has to work pretty hard to tow my stuff)

But now I am getting antsy and can order the 6.2L but being told max trailer pkg not available yet. So now I am thinking 3.42 might be just fine with 6.2L torque and 2 more gears than what I am used to. And I might even see better mileage than am expecting with 6.2L

So what u think...?? I want decent mileage but I'm not expecting an economy model either with the 6.2L, and not willing to sacrfice a good tow unit for 1 mpg. I do not like having to work my motor and gear hunt all day when pulling moderate load at 75 mph....

although I do like the bigger 9.75" rear end, 3.73 gears, enhanced cooling, trailer brake controller, and beefier rear susp. with the max trailer pkg I do not really need any of it. and maybe 3.42 might be better overall with this motor???

what do you 5.3L guys think with the 3.42 gears on this '14??

I'll just say this. I traded my Trailblazer SS in on the '14 Sierra with 3.42's (the trailblazer had the 6.0 LS2 based motor with 4.11 gears) and the seat of the pants method tells me that it's just about as quick and quite possibly quicker than the TBSS. I was a little worried I'd miss the acceleration when I needed it but I can say that I'm more than pleasantly surprised by the Sierra. If you get on it off the line you'll easily smoke the tires and wag the ass end...

what do you guys think regarding rear end gear ratio mated with the 6.2L motor?? Originally, I was thinking wait for the max trailer pkg and the 3.73 cause thats what I have, have never had anything higher, and I do good amts of moderate towing, (this is why I am upgrading from 5.3L w/ 3.73 and 4spd because it has to work pretty hard to tow my stuff)

But now I am getting antsy and can order the 6.2L but being told max trailer pkg not available yet. So now I am thinking 3.42 might be just fine with 6.2L torque and 2 more gears than what I am used to. And I might even see better mileage than am expecting with 6.2L

So what u think...?? I want decent mileage but I'm not expecting an economy model either with the 6.2L, and not willing to sacrfice a good tow unit for 1 mpg. I do not like having to work my motor and gear hunt all day when pulling moderate load at 75 mph....

although I do like the bigger 9.75" rear end, 3.73 gears, enhanced cooling, trailer brake controller, and beefier rear susp. with the max trailer pkg I do not really need any of it. and maybe 3.42 might be better overall with this motor???

what do you 5.3L guys think with the 3.42 gears on this '14??

Hard to give an honest answer since nobody here has driven the new 6.2 with either the 3.42's or 3.73's. On the press sheets the 6.2 with 3.42's will tow around 9700 lbs, with the max trailering package and 3.73's it will tow 12000 lbs. Not sure if you're aware but the max trailering will be available with the 5.3 as well. I would imagine the 5.3 with 3.73's would be a stout combo.

We have two 13s with the 6.2l, one with the NHT 3.73s and the other with 3.42s. There is a definite difference, and the 3.73s definitely get the truck moving faster.

The 14s are similar results, just more efficient.

Sent from a jelly bean.

I have the current 6.2 with 3.42's. If your towing is under 7000 lbs then the 3:42's work fine and return fair MPG. If you tow over that then I would suggest the NHT. My Travel trailer is about 8K and it really makes the trans work to match engine rpm's to keep moving. I am looking at the NHT so the truck will hold a gear longer and it should not shift down as much. I am also at 3500 feet elevation and tow in the mountains so the added gear would offset the power loss and help uphill.

PJ,

What is "moderate towing" weight wise and what kind of trailer?

As mentioned, if you are up to about 7k lbs, chances are you would be fine even with the 5.3/3.42 combo, but more power equals more fun!!! The 6spd tranny halps a lot imo!!!

While I don't have any '14 seat time, our '10 1500 4x4 5.3/6spd/3.42 combo did just fine towing our 7k lbs travel trailer. Only reason we now have a '13 2500HD is payload!!! We live in Mi, have only travelled in state with the trailer so not sure how the '10 combo we had would have done in the mountains.

From what I have read, you want the factory brake controller!!! Night & day difference compared to the aftermarket controllers.

I hope this has helped a little!!!

Good luck!

Chris

• 2 months later...

3.42's will treat you good too Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hoping a 3.42 would handle 5000lb. You guys know alot more about this than I do. Guess if I was hauling more I would look at the Won_ mentioned. Can I expect better mpg's with the 3.42 versus the 3.73? Interstate driving? Seems like alot of the stickers on the GMC and Chevy 5.3 are coming with the 3.08. Had salesman even state problems with that one. thanks for the help!

Hoping a 3.42 would handle 5000lb. You guys know alot more about this than I do. Guess if I was hauling more I would look at the Won_ mentioned. Can I expect better mpg's with the 3.42 versus the 3.73? Interstate driving? Seems like alot of the stickers on the GMC and Chevy 5.3 are coming with the 3.08. Had salesman even state problems with that one. thanks for the help!

Stickers can have 3.08 under 'standard equipment' and 3.42 (or 3.73) under 'installed options'.

To be sure, check the glove box sticker or the rpo code.

I have an '11 6.2/3.42's and tow 6-7K toyhauler in NJ/NY/PA. Going east-west here have to cross the Appalachians so up and down all trip long. I used to do it with a 8.1/3.73's and 8.1/4.11's both 4sp, and I was surprised how well the 6.2/3.42/6sp did. It is comparable to the 8.1 combo's, just at higher rpms's, but not bad, just works it out a bit on the steeper hills. My older 6.0/4.11/4sp screamed it's bloody head off, with engine temp rise, and in my opinion could not get the job done.

Just as Blue2500CC said, if your under 7K you should be fine expect maybe in the Rockies, with the 6.2/3.42.

I am on the fence myself, as I will be getting a late '14 or an early '15, and will probably just get the 3.42, as the 6.2 will be a little stronger than what I have now. I would have to drive a 6.2/3.73 though before I ever ordered one, as I spend a lot of time on the highway unloaded. And sad but true, I will be test driving a new Dodge to see what the air-ride is like, as I am pretty disappointed with the lack of innovation in the new S. Denali.

Payload is not that important to me. I use my truck as a large sedan. What I really need is a big Buick RWD, big like back in the 70's big, and a used 2500 to tow. Since there are no big cars anymore, the 4 door truck is it's replacement, for me, and probably for a lot of guys like me too.

So I just need the best highway cruiser, meaning best ride, quiet, powerful, etc.... I don't care much about mpg. And since I have to buy a truck to get big, it has to then tow 7K lbs 5-10 times a year with relative ease.

The most I put in the bed is two dirtbikes at 500lbs. I will check the numbers though. Thanks.

Archived