Normal Engine Temp?

I noticed that starting with 2007 all trucks that I test drove, including the one we have at work(2012 ), had the needle exactly in the middle of the temperature gauge field when warmed up. My truck ('06) normal temperature is slightly less than that as indicated by the temperature gauge.

Edited by pm26

• 6 years later...

Is it normal for the temp gauge to fluctuate?

temp in picture is from idling and revving in park up to 3-4000 rpm with outside temp being 20deg C. It also climbs when accelerating up hill with no load at same outside temp of 20deg C...it does go back to a needle width below 100 right after 

called dealer, said it’s normal up to 120deg C. Anyone experience this?

2018 Silverado 5.3 with 27000km

8FC35A0B-7477-49AF-92CD-95BC4C9DFC7E.jpeg

Edited by Paul_’18 Silverado

Yes, that is technically normal.

The actual temp and the cluster will differ some, it's been that way on the 1999-2018 trucks. The newest trucks seems to be much more accurate.

The stock thermostat should hold the temp around 93-105 C or 200-220 degrees F. The fan kicks on at 221F or 105C. The dealership saying it's normal to see up to 120deg C is not right, it would be over heating by then and probably boiling the coolant.

Hook up a scan tool if you want to see the real coolant temp from the sensor on the engine.

I have a infrared thermometer, I did check the thermostat and where the needle was in the picture, my reading at highest was 96deg C. 
I agree that 120 is too hot, but why does it fluctuate that way and why just why, if the Obd temp is different than what I see, if I didn’t know any better, I’d be taking the truck in for a ghost problem thinning my pocket for non warranty covered diagnostics, I have never had this with any other truck I’ve owned. 

anyway, I’m at the point of doubt with this truck, between this and down shift clunk rough drive train, thin paint that chips easily, fuel saving gimmicks on a truck, cheap fisher price plastic dash and interior that creaks, rattles fastened by push clips...I don’t accept “within Spec” or “normal” according to gm anymore.

Very disappointed with this $ 60000 truck, should’ve gotten that FORD I had my eye on.

also the dealer we purchased from(not the dealer we use for service)  had us sign a non resale clause or something to that effect,  that would blacklist us with gm on future purchases should we sell our truck to the us market. At this point do I really care!? First and last gm I purchase .

also, why does gm canada and gm us have different tsb bulletins for the same common  issues on these trucks.

Not bad grammar, it wasn’t a question...

Edited by Paul_’18 Silverado

As you know in many cases the price you pay means nothing now. The $30,000 truck is going down the same line that the $60,000 truck is. Everything but the interior and exterior packages is basically the same. Paint, engine, transmission on either of those trucks will have the same issues.

Even on other brands, people like you and me would find stuff to complain about. They all have quality issues and everything has to meet the same emissions requirements so there will be no getting away from those features.

This is why I don't buy new trucks, I let someone take the 20-40% hit and I pick it up for way cheaper 2-3 years later.

120* C (248*F) won’t be overheating on these things, though is close. Pressure and coolant mix raise the boiling point up to around 260*F IIRC. The dealer is quoting a worst case scenario on that temp and I do agree if temp is getting that high there’s other issues to deal with. 

If it helps assuage any buyers remorse, I’ve worked on enough Fords, all with the same exact issues (failed timing chain tensioners and guides), to never own one ever again. But I also expect 300k miles without issue. I only buy used, sometimes over 100k miles; I’ll let the original owner take the financial hit and then I’ll still have a reliable, clean vehicle for hundreds of thousands of miles for a fraction of the price. 

You paid $60k for added comfort not added durability, so I’d reckon that aspect has been fulfilled. If that is too much, or the just wasn’t worth the squeeze, trade it in for a cheaper truck, or one from another brand, but don’t expect perfection. Emissions and fuel economy requirements have upped engine temps, leaned the fuel mix, and added miles of electronic complexity. At least these trucks don’t have their fuel pump driver module circuit board cleverly hidden inside a sacrificial metal case and mounted above the rear axle, like a Ford... mine went through 3 of those in 150k miles at $100 a piece. 

Edited by 16LT4