Center console swap?

Guys, I'm new to this forum so please forgive any stupid questions I may ask. My wife surprised me with the truck. I really wanted the center console instead of that jump seat. If i could swap it out for the console and get everything to work like its supposed to without burning up my brand new truck I'd be eternally grateful. Would it be best to just order the console and everything from the dealer or is there somewhere else that won't rape my wallet on the price?

i have one to sell if you look back in this post , you can see it

if you are not too fair from Quebec (canada) it can be a deal for you ( because shipping can be an ass)

the console is complete and include the bracket and connectors you will need to do all the project

Does the back piece come on the console part #23466980 ? or do I need part #22894502 'rear trim'?

Thanks for all the info on this thread. A lot of work went into this thread and I appreciate it.

if you checked this thread, you probably saw 5 numbers total for console, they are: console assy (with rear trim), left side trim, right side trim, top with cup holder and bracket,,,,,,,,,,,,they are the only parts you need to do all the project

the only thing you will need is a mini usb cable male to male or just the half and you will sold it to your existing cable (if you are handy)

if you don't have the usb cable the 3 usb in front of console won'T work .......but not much

the console is sold completely assy and every socket, light and switch are already installed inside. for the fronts plugs, they are parts of the top with cup holder

you will recuperate your usb cable for the rear multimedia reader and the connector with some leads to connect your console

• Like 1

Thank you ravageur1972,

Ordered my parts yesterday, was just verifying that the back piece comes with the console assm. the diagram when you order doesn't show the armrest or the back piece, and I read in post #221 that the armrest does come included. Cant wait to get started.

Thanks again

• Like 2

OK.. mine's in.

Here's a writeup, cos I haven't seen one so far.

1. remove the "ash tray" and cig. ligther in your dash with 3 t-10 torx screws, and 2 clips.

2. Remove the radio trim, clips in.

3. remove the radio (stay with me here..) 4 7mm bolts

4. remove the accessory switches, which 3 7mm bolts, 1 of which was hidden by the radio.

5. remove 4 7mm bolts, 2 down low where your ash tray and cig lighter were, 2 up behind the accessory switches.

6. Put your front bracket in, it has alignment pins and the 4 7mm bolts hold it in. IMPORTANT: run your cig lighter/other harnesses through the bracket BEFORE you bolt it in. Otherwise they wont fit.. and you'll be like me and have harnesses that wont reach at the end of your installation.

7. put your accessory switches and radio and radio cover back on. You wont need to remove these again.

8. remove the plastic trim cover just to the right of the gas pedal that covers a support beam.

9. slide your driver seat all the way forward, remove the back cover and remove 16mm bolt holding the jump seat down.

10. slide your driver seat all the way back, remove cover and 16mm bolt holding the jump seat down.

11. repeat 9,10 on passenger side.

12. Slide pass. seat all the way forward, remove large torx bolt on inner rail. (don't recall the size of this, sorry, but its big.)

13. Remove plastic cover on outer side of passenger seat, exposing other torx bolt in rear of seat.

14. You should probably disconnect the battery now, you're messing with airbag equipment.

15. In a crew cab it is NOT necessary to remove the pass. seat. Tilt it forward and prop it up with something. Look for a square of carpet that is cut away. Remove the harness under the seat. It's black and has a grey rotating lock. A usb connector is next to it. It has a retention clip so don't just pull it straight out.

16. Wrestle the jump seat out.

17. Remove the wire harness from the jump seat. ( :lol: yea that's one LONG step.)

17a. Start with the easy parts, unclip it underneath and run it all the way up to where it disappears into the seat itself.

17b. remove FOUR screws holding down cup holders. You have to remove the rubber coating to do this, which may be glued down. Keep trying. Don't be like me and break the 2 bottom screws.

17c. remove large torx bolt holding jump seat top to bottom on driver's side.

17d. remove internal bucket inside of top of jump seat. 2 phillips head screws is all I remember seeing.

17e. remove side cover where you removed the large torx bolt, you should now clearly have access to the wires.

17d. fish the wire harness out of the jump seat.

From this point on, it becomes a matter of my opinion/method. Yours may differ greatly.

18. Remove as much of the console wire harness from the console as you can. This includes the usb connector, flash card connector, and the console's own internal cig. lighter harness.

19. CUT the console wire harness, leaving a long excess of wire back to the rearward facing cig. lighter (it's a lot of trouble to get it out so I just left mine in.)

20. Cut the end off of one of your cig lighters on the jumpseat harness. It should be the one that went to the back. I cut it as short as I could so that I could take advantage of the most length of wire.

21. Peel the insulation back on thje cut wire, you'll see 4 wires, white, white/black, black, and purple/yellow. black and purple/yellow mate with your old harness's black/(other color, it will be obvious at the time.)

22. Solder or crimp the console's cig lighter harness to the jumpseat's cig lighter harness.

23. Tape up the harness, put it in the console, letting the harness fall off to the passenger side.

24. Put the console in! Do NOT attach the side vanity plates yet, they will be in the way of the front bolts.

25. Repeat steps 9-15 putting things back together.

26. Attach 2x M6x1.00 bolts (inch long) bolts to front of console into bracket you connected to the dash earlier.

27. attach side trim on both sides. This may be a bit tight but it is possible!

28. attach your harnesses, or whatever you may have fabbed up to use the inverter/usb/cig lighters to the upper panel.

29. put the panel on.

30. You're done!

100_5843.jpg

installation time: about 2 to 4 hours, probably less now that you have some instructions and know where everything is. The hardest part of this for me was fishing the jump seat harness out.

Make SURE prior to ordering your upper panel that you have the power inverter. If you do not, you can order a panel without the 110vac. I don't know what that one looks like or it's PN but I wish I had ordered it.

Also, as far as the usb goes, there is a standard usb port in the back. I wonder if the hmi unit would recognize a usb hub? Maybe we could run a wire from these to a hub, then from the hub to the connector under the passenger seat, to have all the ports working?

In case anybody is looking for instructions on how to do this swap, this is what I used and I didn't have any trouble.

• Like 2

In case anybody is looking for instructions on how to do this swap, this is what I used and I didn't have any trouble.

to install bracket , i only removed the ashtray (it's harder but shorter in time

for the light inside console i run the wire to the front 12 v socket as the voltage is always present so i have light inside console as soon as i lift the lid ...no key in need

for the usb hub quesion.........no....hmi won't recognize it.......you can only use the fronts usb as charger but need to run a 12v and a ground and plug the usb to hmi in the free slot

New User to this forum. Just stepped down from a Duramax and bought a 2015 sierra CC. I plan on swapping the jump seat for the console. This thread has all the information I think I need. In reading all 30 pages, I didn't see anyone post a part number for the Jump Seat Wiring Harness.

Most people are salvaging it out of their truck and stating how difficult it is to remove it. I tried to look on the GM Parts websites and couldn't locate the P/N and price or even determine if it's available. If it is $20-$30, it may be worth the time savings to purchase an additional Jump seat harness and leave the harness on the Jump Seat for the next owner. You may recover the cost difference when you sell the jump seat or still have it if you want to swap it back out.

In Summary: Does anyone have the part number for the Jump Seat Wiring harness? Or did I miss it in this thread elsewhere?

EDIT: I think I found the part number. Not sure if its the exact fit. There are several different part numbers. I would guess they are all the same, especially if we are just harvesting one end of the harness. http://www.newgmparts.com/oe-gm/23200571

They are all around $50. Probably worth it if you can leave the full jump seat complete and either pass on the cost if you sell it on ebay or keep in the event you want to swap it back.

Edited by reiter284

New User to this forum. Just stepped down from a Duramax and bought a 2015 sierra CC. I plan on swapping the jump seat for the console. This thread has all the information I think I need. In reading all 30 pages, I didn't see anyone post a part number for the Jump Seat Wiring Harness.

Most people are salvaging it out of their truck and stating how difficult it is to remove it. I tried to look on the GM Parts websites and couldn't locate the P/N and price or even determine if it's available. If it is $20-$30, it may be worth the time savings to purchase an additional Jump seat harness and leave the harness on the Jump Seat for the next owner. You may recover the cost difference when you sell the jump seat or still have it if you want to swap it back out.

In Summary: Does anyone have the part number for the Jump Seat Wiring harness? Or did I miss it in this thread elsewhere?

EDIT: I think I found the part number. Not sure if its the exact fit. There are several different part numbers. I would guess they are all the same, especially if we are just harvesting one end of the harness. http://www.newgmparts.com/oe-gm/23200571

They are all around $50. Probably worth it if you can leave the full jump seat complete and either pass on the cost if you sell it on ebay or keep in the event you want to swap it back.

it's a good idea to buy a harness but you will still need to modify the harness because there isn't not enough wires in center seat harness to make all connection compare to console harness

it's relatively easy to remove the harness from center seat

console have 1x 12 v socket more in rear and a light under the lid (not in center seat) and the light need to have constant 12 volt with or without key in

Installed my console yesterday in just 2 hrs. Thanks to the steps I followed here. Couldn't be any happier with the look I got now! Found the complete console on eBay for $250 , in all spent $380 not bad!

Edited by Jonflores1982

• 3 weeks later...

to install bracket , i only removed the ashtray (it's harder but shorter in time

for the light inside console i run the wire to the front 12 v socket as the voltage is always present so i have light inside console as soon as i lift the lid ...no key in need

for the usb hub quesion.........no....hmi won't recognize it.......you can only use the fronts usb as charger but need to run a 12v and a ground and plug the usb to hmi in the free slot

Thanks for all the info! This site is great. I'm almost complete in term of the jumper seat to console conversion, but where is the hmi free slot? I used the extra connector from the console harness and plugged it into front the 3 usb but only put power to the red wire and black to the ground. I left the other two wire tied up. It would be awesome to have the front usb ports to function just for charging. Thanks again.