Steering wheel clicking?

• 1 month later...

if it's just a very faint click on slight steering wheel movement and sounds like it's coming from around the base of the steering wheel.... have them check the steering wheel position sensor... that's what it was on mine. Part replaced... faint clicking gone!

Finally!!

• Like 1

Mine is clicking/popping, it's definitely not inside, can't even hear it with my windows up, roll them down its crazy loud, cold, hot makes no difference, my rack & pinion moves like a sloppily bed in a brothel. let me try and get a video before I head to the dealer b/c its driving me insane, btw 2,300 miles on my truck.

if it's just a very faint click on slight steering wheel movement and sounds like it's coming from around the base of the steering wheel.... have them check the steering wheel position sensor... that's what it was on mine. Part replaced... faint clicking gone!

that is me. only when sitting still or at slow speeds. cannot hear it with radio on and it is coming from inside not outside. sounds like a rubber or plastic piece getting flicked as the wheel turns.

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue with mine! I took it to the dealership but since it's under warranty they refused to fix it. I was told they can't replicate the click so bring it back when it clicks again, which makes no sense.....how am I gonna bring it in during a 1 second long click?? I hope there is a recall soon so I can get it fixed.

• 1 month later...

anyone have any updates on this? I am going back soon for my last oil change and hopefully my last visit to this dealer....want them to get this steering wheel click fixed. Hoping it is just the position sensor.. it is right in the steering wheel, not far down the column at all.

Interesting article where GM says the electric steering isn't heavy duty enough for a 2500. In my opinion then it's not good enough for a 1500.

PUTC: Why not put heavier-duty electronic power steering in the HDs like GM has in the half-ton and midsize pickups?

Symons: The EPS rack-and-pinion components aren't robust enough to handle the weights and steering loads heavy-duty pickups place on them. That's why we've stayed with hydraulic recirculating ball steering systems in the HD and added Digital Steering Assist. It's the best of both worlds.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/10/what-you-need-to-know-about-gms-new-hd-steering-assist.html

anyone have any updates on this? I am going back soon for my last oil change and hopefully my last visit to this dealer....want them to get this steering wheel click fixed. Hoping it is just the position sensor.. it is right in the steering wheel, not far down the column at all.

Mine is in the dealer now for the clicking, getting the steering gear/rack replaced. They put in a new rack and the computer wouldn't program it. I'm not sure if it was my truck computer or their tech tool that wasn't working. Maybe it was a new defective rack. They had another rack in stock and were going to install that one and try to program it. I haven't heard back yet. Makes me wonder if there is more going on with my clicking than just the rack if the computer won't program. Maybe related to the recall for loss of power steering. If my ground is bad maybe the computer can't communicate? I'll let you know if clicking is gone when I get my truck back.

Welcome to 2017 where power steering won't work without a computer. For 2019 the steering won't work unless you have a 4g LTE connection because the steering will be connected to a server. Jk.

In all honesty I'd like my hydraulic steering back. 200,000 miles on my 2004 Sierra and zero issues with steering. I understand the electric steering saves mpg but with how many are breaking, it makes you wonder how much oil does that consume to keep replacing them? In making the parts and delivering them.

Ed is your clicking noise the faint noise that sounds like it is right in the steering wheel itself. a tech at the dealer told me there is a component in there that is almost like a tape measure the way it recoils and he thought that was the noise? aggravating.

I have the same clicking noise on my stock '17 Sierra Denali when turning steering wheel to the left since new. With each revolution wheel will make a single click. Just had it in shop & advisor told me the clock spring was rubbing. Drove it off lot & noise still there. Plan on bringing it back in next week to investigate further. Mention to service advisor about this thread with steering wheel position sensor being the problem & he stated that if it was bad it would throw a code. Is this the case, maybe just a bad fitting sensor?

Ed is your clicking noise the faint noise that sounds like it is right in the steering wheel itself. a tech at the dealer told me there is a component in there that is almost like a tape measure the way it recoils and he thought that was the noise? aggravating.

Here's the noise I'm referring to.

Unfortunately my clicking noise has returned. Will have to go back to the dealership and see what they say I am over 45,000 miles on my truck now

So I guess that new part number rack didn't hold up. Bummer, I was counting on your story to be my solution. I think the electric steering just isn't up to the task. It'd be great if an aftermarket company would make a heavy duty version so we could ditch the stock one.