2014+ AFM (Active Fuel Management)

Is there a way of disabling the AFM without voiding the warranties? My truck is brand new and would love to turn in off but don't wanna do a full tune until the warranty is up.

Is there a way of disabling the AFM without voiding the warranties? My truck is brand new and would love to turn in off but don't wanna do a full tune until the warranty is up.

http://rangetechnology.com

Range sells an AFM disable module that plugs into the OBDII port. It doesn't make any changes to the computer and leaves no traces for the dealer find. I used one on my 2008 Sierra 5.3 and it worked beautifully. I just sent it in to Range to have them update the firmware to work on my 2016 Silverado 5.3. Look at their website for more info.

Edited by DSsilver16
  • Like 1

Range sells an AFM disable module that plugs into the OBDII port. It doesn't make any changes to the computer and leaves no traces for the dealer find. I used one on my 2008 Sierra 5.3 and it worked beautifully. I just sent it in to Range to have them update the firmware to work on my 2016 Silverado 5.3. Look at their website for more info.

Awesome thanks for the help!

It didn't work correctly om my 2016 5.3 8 speed. Locked it one gear doing 60 the engine was at 4,000 RPM. I returned it the next day.

I can see GM rolling their eyes thinking "for ****s sake what do you guys want from us"

Never noticed any change in my vehicle from afm. If the indicator was not on the dash I would not know I even had it.

I agree with the above statement 100%. AFM was never an issue for me. I actually liked it. The issue was the EPA biased transmission programming and engine tune. My aftermarket tune took care of both issues. And one other thing. This transmission "learning mode" is, in my opinion, something that I don't fully buy into. I didn't experience any learning mode when I installed my tune. It was a light switch experience. My transmission immediately began to function like a transmission should. So even if there is a learning mode involved, I can't believe that the engineers at GM couldn't come up with a better basic transmission program than the one currently being used in our trucks.

Edited by AZRenegade

It didn't work correctly om my 2016 5.3 8 speed. Locked it one gear doing 60 the engine was at 4,000 RPM. I returned it the next day.

That's too bad because mine works great. I had mine updated to the latest firmware and in the last 3 days since I got it back I haven't had any issues whatsoever. Did you know if yours was updated?

That's too bad because mine works great. I had mine updated to the latest firmware and in the last 3 days since I got it back I haven't had any issues whatsoever. Did you know if yours was updated?

No Idea. I received it the last two weeks and sent it back the next day after those problems. I thought maybe it was an 8spd issue because I had read else where the tuners where having a difficult time with the 8 speeds.

My truck had about 600 miles on it at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone heard of these trucks burning a quart of oil every 1k miles because of the V4?.. someone i worked with mentioned his was doing this. i think he drives an 11....something about how the oil turns to a vapor or something.. i cant remember.. anyone heard of such a thing??

anyone heard of these trucks burning a quart of oil every 1k miles because of the V4?.. someone i worked with mentioned his was doing this. i think he drives an 11....something about how the oil turns to a vapor or something.. i cant remember.. anyone heard of such a thing??

This happened a lot with the early models. I really hope GM fixed this with the DI engines.

• 3 weeks later...

. I didn't experience any learning mode when I installed my tune.

The "learning mode" is part of the stock truck's factory tune. Your aftermarket tune replaced the factory tune so you didn't have a learning mode anymore.

I think the debate regarding feeling the V4 is somewhat truck dependent and somewhat user feel. I think some trucks' V4 switching is a bit smoother than others. But I think some people are also more in tune with the changes that take place when the truck changes to V4...from the change in engine sound, the subtle back pressure that happens when it goes into V4, the change in the exhaust note, etc. I bet more often than not I can tell on any of your trucks when it's going into V4 mode without looking at the indicator on the dash. Sometimes it's hard to detect but most of the time I feel it and I also feel it way more in this truck than I ever did in my 2007.

The "learning mode" is part of the stock truck's factory tune. Your aftermarket tune replaced the factory tune so you didn't have a learning mode anymore.

I think the debate regarding feeling the V4 is somewhat truck dependent and somewhat user feel. I think some trucks' V4 switching is a bit smoother than others. But I think some people are also more in tune with the changes that take place when the truck changes to V4...from the change in engine sound, the subtle back pressure that happens when it goes into V4, the change in the exhaust note, etc. I bet more often than not I can tell on any of your trucks when it's going into V4 mode without looking at the indicator on the dash. Sometimes it's hard to detect but most of the time I feel it and I also feel it way more in this truck than I ever did in my 2007.

I agree. I can feel when it goes into V4 or V8.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

RANGE Divice for sale in CANADA! If anyone is looking to purchase a Range divice in Canada please emai me at [email protected], This product was wonderful, but I have now sold my 2015 Silverado. The Range costed $400.00 Canadian all said and done, to be brought into the country. I am looking for $250.00.

Edited by Kcoleman