Headlights

One of my low beam lights went out tonight. Probably replace them both. What is a good choice? I drive in the dark quite a bit and want something to really light up the road but not be obnoxiously bright. Are the Sylvania SilverStar's worth it?

I see they have several kinds. Which one is the best? The zXe's look pretty cool.

Thank you for the feedback. Sorry, I did a search for headlights and only came up with 2014 trucks, HID conversions or problems. Couldn't really find anything about replacement bulbs. It looks like the only option I have around here is Sylvania bulbs of one kind or another but read a lot of reviews that they don't last very long. If that's true then what's the point on spending $50 on bulbs to just replace them again in 6 months or a year. Guess I will find out.

Fill in info for a visual comparing Sylvania lamps here:

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgmain.aspx#fldYear

They all produce same lumen output, only difference being color temp. Compare bulb life / cost here:

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgproductspecs.aspx?partnumber=9006

I went with OEM. Just did not want the hassle of replacing them again in a short period. My OEM lasted 4 yrs. 4 months.

The driver side can be a hassle. A trick is to use your fingers or a tool to access the light socket from the top and turn it that way. My dealer said they would install for no charge if bought there. I did the passenger side but when they saw me struggling with the drivers side, they showed me the easy way.

I was just looking at the specs on the H11 bulb that fits my truck. I can't believe the Ultra and zxe only last 125 hours. That doesn't seem long at all, especially at $25 per bulb. Guess I may be replacing them every year or I will get these for now and look for LED's to replace them next time they go out.

Thank you for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

My ZXE (H13)have been installed in my Yukon for over 1 year, with no problems so far.

In all fairness, during daylight driving hours, I turn the headlamps off, for I see no need to illuminate a road during daylight hours (in southern California).

I had my headlamp bulbs swapped out at a local mom and pop shop that I have been going to for over 30 years, and the labor charge was $15.

Ok. Bulbs bought and in. So we will see how long they last. Went with the standard SilverStar's and all I have to say is what freaking engineer designed those headlights? That was ridiculous. Why couldn't they leave the design like my '03 where you pull the headlight with 2 clips? Those were so easy. I just hope I don't have to do that very often.

I tried sylvania's stuff for many years until finally giving up and going with HID's. I was replacing those sylvania bulbs every 6 months at almost $50 for the pair. HID's was the next evolutionary step and I was one of those annoying folks on the road blinding people. I reaimed everything and got them tolerable for other drivers and how much light i wanted. My next evolutionary step was projectors and I installed the TRS mini H1 setup in my 2010. After seeing the performance of true to life projectors (not the ebay knockoffs) I will always use them in all my future vehicles. I have done extensive research on LED's and replacement bulbs that go into standard reflectors just don't have the lumens to produce a quality light pattern. I have seen the newer cars like the Acura RLX that come with OEM LED's and the light that thing puts out is very impressive. LED's are the future but they require a lot of power and the right housing to make them work. My buddy bought some $60 fog light LED bulbs and put them into his Ram and said the light output vs halogen was significantly less. Many websites specifically state that the current state of LED replacement bulbs are for show with very little benefit to usable light.

I don't need to turn the headlights off in daylight hours on my 2013. They never come on. I disabled the daytime running light thing the first week I had the vehicle. Next up, to disable the auto on for low light.

Archived