6.2 review needed

Hello all been hanging out here for awhile, nice site On the fence about the 6.2 vrs the 5.3 would like to here some reviews with a 6.2 and 3.42 gear set up. I guess some mileage too if that was a huge concern like my son says buy a "prius if you want gas mileage now grow a pair and go order the truck"

Thanks

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far I love my 6.2DI/3.42 truck. Has plenty of power to get on the highway when needed. Best I have got on the highway was right at 20mpg, but that was with only 1500 miles on the truck. Right now I am averaging 17ish mixed driving.

I am going to drive it for a year then look into tuning the ECM/TCM to get it to drive the way it should and not the dumbed down way that the GM lawyers want it to drive.

I've got 180 miles on mine and it's already getting better mileage than my '07 LTZ got (about 14.3). It's all in-town/stop and go driving but I'm happy!! I didn't buy the 6.2L for gas mileage but since it's better than my old 5.3L Vortech I'll take it.

No comparison in the power department. The 5.3L was a dog compared to this beast. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!! It's at the muffler shop as we speak getting a true dual exhaust system put on it. I'm guessin' everything will be even better when I get it back.

I've got 180 miles on mine and it's already getting better mileage than my '07 LTZ got (about 14.3). It's all in-town/stop and go driving but I'm happy!! I didn't buy the 6.2L for gas mileage but since it's better than my old 5.3L Vortech I'll take it.

No comparison in the power department. The 5.3L was a dog compared to this beast. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!! It's at the muffler shop as we speak getting a true dual exhaust system put on it. I'm guessin' everything will be even better when I get it back.

Better see a video of this once its back!

I've got over 10,000 miles on a 2014 5.3 w/ 3.42s (so I'd say I have a pretty good feel for it) and my 6.2 is in transit as we speak! Also with 3.42s.. I'll give a review between the two once I get it.

Its a beast. Youll be gettin a mile or two worse but its a truck. Dont expect good mileage out of any of em

This.

If you want more power in your 1/2 ton get the 6.2 - Me I didn't care that much just wanted a V8 and the 5.3 w/ 3.42 is plenty for me. I will say this though, there's alot of people here who like to brag about the mileage they get and I don't much believe them. I am going to venture to say I've probably driven the most miles on these new '14's or close to it and the reports of 20 mpg or 18 mixed are BS.

I had a 2014 cc SLT 5.3 w/ 3.08 for 5,250 miles and it averaged 17.1 - obviously lots of highway by putting that many miles in only 3 months, and that was in spring/summer

Swapped it on a 2014 CC SLT All Terrain 5.3 w/ 3.42s (needed the extra oomph for driving in hills, liked the AT looks way better, got a decent deal - 3.08's blow, but gas mileage IS better. And I have 10,100 miles on this one and have averaged 15.9 over the entire length of ownership, that's from 9-20-14 to today. So again, obviously plenty of highway.

Find me someone else who has 15k+ miles on a new 2014 and experience w/ both the 3.08 and 3.42 rear end. I would expect 14-15mpg from the 6.2 mixed. I do 75-80 on the highway on cruise. If you wanna do 65 on flat even surfaces and only give it 30% throttle maybe you will get 18 on the highway, but if that's how you're gonna drive forget the 6.2 and get the 4.3 V6, catch my drift?

I just wanna be HONEST about the mileage w/ these trucks.

crushNchowda, I've always been able to get much better MPGs on the highway by NOT using Cruise Control. This seemed true for my '11 Silverado 5.3, my '13 Avalanche 5.3, and now my '14 Sierra 5.3.

Never been exactly sure why, but I think by throttling manually you can take better advantage of hills, descents, coasting, etc. I swear its close to 2 MPGs difference. Could just be wishful thinking but I've always been wanting to see some testing done on this theory.

Interesting to see you swapped the SLT for the AT w/ 3.42 - definitely obvious why you wanted to get into that setup, but did you have to take a big hit?

I paid $5,000 out of pocket, but the truck stickered for $2,800 more. I didn't even make a first payment on the 3.08 truck, so all things considered not bad at all, I of course didn't see the sales tax back, but then again didn't get hit w/ the same sales tax the 2nd time around because my trade was worth so much and I already got hit w/ it.

I don't regret it, just regret not getting a 3.42 all terrain to begin w/

I'll try not using cruise to see how it works for me. I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all, but I think 15,400 miles of driving time between both a 3.08 and 3.42 is a good barometer for such a new truck. Like I said I doubt there are many guys who have put more miles than that on yet, although I'm sure there must be some on here....

If the $2000 extra doesn't matter to you and you want the most power you can get and want gas then get the 6.2, but don't expect good mileage. If you want REAL power and stil don't care about gas mileage you're looking at the wrong vehicle and should check out the diesels IMO

I have 2014 Denali with the 6.2 engine. My truck has 12k on it. Mostly highway as you might guess. I have averaged 19 mpg over the 12k. I like the truck, but I can't wait for someone to come out with a good tune for this truck. It feels like there is so much more waiting to be released.

You won't find many (nearly 0) people complaining about the power of an upgraded engine unless the performance is equal to the smaller engine. The 5.3 is plenty of power for passing on the highway. If I had the choice on my truck between a 5.3 and 6.2 with only a $2000 difference, I'd get the 6.2L. However, that wasn't an option for me and I have no regrets.

Archived