"Stuck" lifter?

HizAndHerz

Question

I've got a 2006 Saab 97x with a 5.3L Vortec engine with 110K miles (yes, I know its not a truck but this forum seems to have the most knowledgeable folks on board). Out of the blue, it started ticking badly at the front of the left rocker cover. It sounds exactly like the Sierra in this video:

I pulled the cover and found that the first rocker is loose and has about 1/8" play - in other words, the valve spring is not taking up the slack. The push-rod and rocker arm are not damaged. Temporarily swapping the rocker from another valve did not get rid of the play.

The first question: Is this a sign of a "collapsed" lifter or "stuck" lifter? What's the correct term here?

The Big Question: Is there any chance of fixing it with a healthy dose of Chemtool or Marvel Mystery Oil down the push-rod and into the lifter followed by an engine flush? That's what the guy did in the video and it cured the lifter problem.

Unless someone states I shouldn't, I'm going to try the above treatment. If that doesn't work, is there anything else to try before ripping off the head? Should I replace all of the lifters, both sides?

TIA for your help!

4 answers to this question

I dont know the sequence of which cylinders shut off since I have an 05 6.0 in my truck and my brother's Rainier is the year before AFM.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Archived