• 1 month later...

I wanted a sled so bad this year but other things took priority.

I'm hoping to pick one up this summer for cheap. Something within the 2500$ range.

Anyone have any suggestions for older (late 90's early 2000's) sleds that are rock solid or have good reputations?

What riding would you be doing mostly? Trails, ditch banging, deep stuff? Ever be riding two-up? Lots of things to consider. Next used one I buy WILL have reverse. I am getting too old to move my AC 580EXT around (550 lbs+), but it was a good deal and I only pay cash for toys. And yes, off season is when you want to buy other than the fact it is hard to be able to ride to check one out.

I wanted a sled so bad this year but other things took priority.

I'm hoping to pick one up this summer for cheap. Something within the 2500$ range.

Anyone have any suggestions for older (late 90's early 2000's) sleds that are rock solid or have good reputations?

What riding would you be doing mostly? Trails, ditch banging, deep stuff? Ever be riding two-up? Lots of things to consider. Next used one I buy WILL have reverse. I am getting too old to move my AC 580EXT around (550 lbs+), but it was a good deal and I only pay cash for toys. And yes, off season is when you want to buy other than the fact it is hard to be able to ride to check one out.

I'd think some trail, mostly deep stuff, ditches, etc. and I am 6'3 and 240lbs. Likely no 2-up riding.

Was up in Northern Ont (Soo area) last Fri- Tue for the guys trip riding. Lots of snow, great trails, great food, and some great fun!

Few pics from this year:

Temp when I left the house. Didn't turn out to be as cold as last year though! Yes, I did add a little air after the pic!

35380CCD-4A0E-4062-A518-301672EFD054_zps

Out front of the cabin

1D9EC49D-D198-465F-9357-4109F6DFAA47_zps

Black Creek Outfitters

855313FD-46E2-4F33-8049-9E3CAE888328_zps

Trail side stop- lots of snow!

BCA0BA14-2C1F-4F11-BD90-F00E4F361CD7_zps

Sunrise

12B2B3E0-F0EA-435C-8AA7-4620C805BFF2_zps

Tilt 'N Hilton St Joseph Island. It was snowing, overcast, and hazy, that we barely had 100yds visibility crossing the 6 miles of ice over to the island!

D1779160-EE10-4654-A1F8-FC7A53C225C2_zps

Only trip this year the way things have worked out. And temps are rising big time so probably won't get back out the way it looks! Only 500 miles this year, but a great 500 miles at that!

A HUGE THANK YOU to all the clubs, volunteers, and groomers for some great trails in District 13!

Edited by Blue2500CC
  • Like 1

Dropsix,

Hard to say exactly what would be a good sled!

Lots of people seem to like the Cat ZR's, and Firecats for ditch banging. IF a Firecat, I would suggest the Sno Pro due to the stiffer suspension. Polaris XC's have been reliable, just stay away from the 550 from about '02 (ish?)- ? as they had some issues. You would probably want more power than a fan cooled 550, but just in case you consider one. Ski Doo's Rev models ('03-) have been very popular. Have read of the 800's (not sure of year) having a bearing issue, but my buddy has one with 5k miles on it and runs great still (knock on wood!)! Yamaha sleds of that era probably won't be the best for ditches, but still great trail sleds!

Any brand can have issues, just look for a well kept sled, and do some research to narrow the choices on the model. Check out HardCoreSledder.com for a ton of info on all brands!

What part of Ont are you in? Maybe consider a slightly longer track sled if your are in Northern Ont with the deep snow.

Good luck in the search!

Dropsix,

Hard to say exactly what would be a good sled!

Lots of people seem to like the Cat ZR's, and Firecats for ditch banging. IF a Firecat, I would suggest the Sno Pro due to the stiffer suspension. Polaris XC's have been reliable, just stay away from the 550 from about '02 (ish?)- ? as they had some issues. You would probably want more power than a fan cooled 550, but just in case you consider one. Ski Doo's Rev models ('03-) have been very popular. Have read of the 800's (not sure of year) having a bearing issue, but my buddy has one with 5k miles on it and runs great still (knock on wood!)! Yamaha sleds of that era probably won't be the best for ditches, but still great trail sleds!

Any brand can have issues, just look for a well kept sled, and do some research to narrow the choices on the model. Check out HardCoreSledder.com for a ton of info on all brands!

What part of Ont are you in? Maybe consider a slightly longer track sled if your are in Northern Ont with the deep snow.

Good luck in the search!

Very cool thanks! Any opinion on singles vs doubles vs triples and efi vs carbs?

Very cool thanks! Any opinion on singles vs doubles vs triples and efi vs carbs?

If you are referring to the number of cylinders it seems twins are more abundant than triples. Though triples do have a following. For ease of tuning, I suggest a twin, with efi if you can find the right machine for the right price!

Singles are more of the entry/utility, smaller cc machines.

Just be aware some machines when pushed hard (deep snow, ditches, just playing around) may get 5mpg off trail, 10mpg if on trail. My '98 ZL 500 (carb) would get 10mpg on a good day, all trail that wasn't a lot of stop & go/ tight, slow curves/ turns. My new sled, '11-F8 EXT (800 efi twin 144" track) got 14mpg on a tighter/ twisty trail my ZL was lucky to get 9-10.

YW!

Personally, I would go with a simple carbed twin if you're looking at something older. If you get into the machines put out in the last 5-6 years, EFI/CFI is absolutely the way to go. The older EFI machines were not batteryless and had some definite quirks to them. My sled ('12 Polaris Pro-R 600) is CFI and is a batteryless setup. I also have a '98 Polaris Indy 440 as a "spare" machine that's simple carb setup and runs like a dream.

DSC_0906_zpsp4i8bmzw.jpg

20130930_180345_zpshmiaf4tt.jpg

Edited by ember1205

Arctic Cat has had batteryless efi since '98 (?), possibly longer. I have never read any issues with them concerning it. Only issue Cats have had in the past are the stators possibly needing to be rebuilt/replaced, but I don't think it was more so the efi vs carb motors, just a possible random issue regardless of which motor.

Ember,

Nice sleds!