Personally, I would go with a simple carbed twin if you're looking at something older. If you get into the machines put out in the last 5-6 years, EFI/CFI is absolutely the way to go. The older EFI machines were not batteryless and had some definite quirks to them. My sled ('12 Polaris Pro-R 600) is CFI and is a batteryless setup. I also have a '98 Polaris Indy 440 as a "spare" machine that's simple carb setup and runs like a dream.

DSC_0906_zpsp4i8bmzw.jpg

Rush? How do you like that rear suspension?

Sweet pics Poko!

One of these days I will get across the ice bridge to Mackinac Island on the sled!

What is the mileage across? Isn't it like 4 miles or so across the ice?

Yeah I think it's about 3.5 miles across the ice bridge to Mackinaw. We left our cottage in Waters around 7:30 stopped for breakfast in Gaylord on the sleds then rode to the Mac' bridge, had the bridge service trailer us across to the UP and then rode the ice bridege to Mackinaw, had lunch on the island and rode back to Waters it was an awesome 205 mile ride! It was our last ride of the season a few weeks ago :-(

Edited by PokoDenali

Rush? How do you like that rear suspension?

Infinitely better than the Evolved I have (XTRA-10) or the EDGE I had previously. It totally changes the handling and I love the upright position of the Rush chassis.

Infinitely better than the Evolved I have (XTRA-10) or the EDGE I had previously. It totally changes the handling and I love the upright position of the Rush chassis.

Nice. I love the look of the latest Polaris offerings, especially the Indy models. My friend has a 94 Indy 440 that has a 136 Xtra10 swap, an RMK tunnel extension, and has been through a bunch of engines. The 440 in it now is solid. The ProX he put in it ran like crap and the 500 he had was junk too. But that sled otherwise is a tank and with a good engine, the most reliable one he has.

Edited by 15HDriver

Nice. I love the look of the latest Polaris offerings, especially the Indy models. My friend has a 94 Indy 440 that has a 136 Xtra10 swap, an RMK tunnel extension, and has been through a bunch of engines. The 440 in it now is solid. The ProX he put in it ran like crap and the 500 he had was junk too. But that sled otherwise is a tank and with a good engine, the most reliable one he has.

The Rush chassis is a whole different animal from anything else out there (from Polaris, at least). Every other chassis design followed the same basic principles.

The Pro-Ride rear suspension is, again, entirely different from anything that preceded it. It's a completely uncoupled skid, and the Walker Evans shocks all around let me dial in the ride I want, on the trail, in about two minutes. Twist the springs to change the pre-load, twist the dial to set the damping rate.

My 1998 Indy 440 is a liquid cooled motor (tons of people call things like the XCF and Sport "Indy 440s", but they aren't... those others are fan-cooled and lack the snap of the liquid. In 1997, Polaris put the XTRA suspension under it and pretty much killed interest in the sled by putting a purple hood on it. When they switched to the white hood in 1998, it was apparently too late and they didn't make them any more. Too bad because it's actually a LOT of fun. Motor is very snappy and it's lighter than its big brothers. The short-lug track makes it poor on non-packed trails, but that also means you can spin the track and "drift" with it easily.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did anyone snow check a sled for this coming season? I ordered a MXZx 1200 in the yellow/white. First is the first snow checked sled I ever did and only the 3rd new sled. Prior to this one I bought a 73 Ski Doo Olympique 440S brand new from a dealer that was going out of business.

I have a 2004 Pro-X2 600 and a 1972 Rupp Nitro 340.

Tom

When I read your post saying "An old photo of my Pro-X2 and my 7 year old grandson's Rupp" I thought those weren't the current rides.

I have a 2004 Pro-X2 600 and a 1972 Rupp Nitro 340.

Tom

I haven't seen a Rupp in a long time....Very nice

• Like 1