What type of gas yall use

I have just finished my second tank of premium 100% gas. And I have been driving it like I stole it. Truck seems to run a lot better. I don't know if the computer can tell any difference and adjust the vvt or anything. I suspect a lot of these trucks sit on the dealer lots with very little gas in the tank and it probably takes a while to clean this crap out. My truck came from Mexico and I think it ran like they put a few pints of tequila in it. Also come on you all sound like a bunch of soccer moms with all this mpg talk . HELLO . 4x4, crew cabs. 4 in lifts, 33 s. Grow a pair or buy an OBAMA smart car. :driving:

I have both. A dd and this truck. But I try to see the best mpg I can get. Its a game for me. The little graph down below just entices me.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Swapped to 89 for about 1 1/2 tanks and the truck keeps feeling stronger than it was on 87 from the dealer. I'm sure it's part break-in...but I'm going to hook up tq pro and start watching the knock numbers if I can get them to read....

That should tell me if the truck is really advancing timing based on the octane. We used to have two E-85 stations-----they both went out of business....so now the closest one is like 30 miles away-----BUT I REALLY WANT TO TRY CORN.

Swapped to 89 for about 1 1/2 tanks and the truck keeps feeling stronger than it was on 87 from the dealer. I'm sure it's part break-in...but I'm going to hook up tq pro and start watching the knock numbers if I can get them to read....

That should tell me if the truck is really advancing timing based on the octane. We used to have two E-85 stations-----they both went out of business....so now the closest one is like 30 miles away-----BUT I REALLY WANT TO TRY CORN.

There is nothing in the sensors or tune/calibration that monitors octane. The gains you are feeling are due to either less KR which is possible on a 10.5-1 engine mixed with poor fuel or... Just the fact that 10.5-1 compression is going to like 91/93 octane... You sound like a gear head so I think you have probably had some experience with a high compression engine or two.

I have been back and forth through this tune looking for any signs of octane management, it's simply not there.

A little dis-heartening with all the technology available, lol. The one thing nice about the 3.5L EcoBoost from Ford was the 2.5 bar maps and Wideband O2's.

Looks like a wideband O2 will be needed if I go real crazy on the mods (my wife will kill me). My current tuner from my Eco is all but guarenteeing me that GM will not see his tune-----I know on the LQ9 they saw Zippy's tune and showed me where the "parameters" were off. I think it "MIGHT" have been the CVN count.....I cannot be sure that was like 4 years ago, lol.

HIs goto device is HP Tuners....I don't see the return value being at max until they get the TCM figured out (I don't think they have yet from what I've seen).

A little dis-heartening with all the technology available, lol. The one thing nice about the 3.5L EcoBoost from Ford was the 2.5 bar maps and Wideband O2's.

Looks like a wideband O2 will be needed if I go real crazy on the mods (my wife will kill me). My current tuner from my Eco is all but guarenteeing me that GM will not see his tune-----I know on the LQ9 they saw Zippy's tune and showed me where the "parameters" were off. I think it "MIGHT" have been the CVN count.....I cannot be sure that was like 4 years ago, lol.

HIs goto device is HP Tuners....I don't see the return value being at max until they get the TCM figured out (I don't think they have yet from what I've seen).

TCM has been lined out for about 9 months... ;)

I don't know what size maps we have but the ECU is capable of 2.5 bar. I would say that we either already have big MAPS or they are plug and play without having to upgrade the OS.

I've been running all 4 types. 87, 90, 93 and e85. More power feel with e85, but worse mileage, like 11-12. No real mpg difference for me between 87 and 93.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished my second tank of premium 100% gas. And I have been driving it like I stole it. Truck seems to run a lot better. I don't know if the computer can tell any difference and adjust the vvt or anything. I suspect a lot of these trucks sit on the dealer lots with very little gas in the tank and it probably takes a while to clean this crap out. My truck came from Mexico and I think it ran like they put a few pints of tequila in it. Also come on you all sound like a bunch of soccer moms with all this mpg talk . HELLO . 4x4, crew cabs. 4 in lifts, 33 s. Grow a pair or buy an OBAMA smart car. :driving:

Your right about the mileage thing, but you can hear the same on the dmax forums......

There is nothing in the sensors or tune/calibration that monitors octane. The gains you are feeling are due to either less KR which is possible on a 10.5-1 engine mixed with poor fuel or... Just the fact that 10.5-1 compression is going to like 91/93 octane... You sound like a gear head so I think you have probably had some experience with a high compression engine or two.

I have been back and forth through this tune looking for any signs of octane management, it's simply not there.

No knock detection?

No knock detection?

Yes sir... There is knock detection. This is not octane detection though, much simpler concept but effective none the less. I think people are getting the fast response alcohol O2 sensors confused with octane sensors.

Usually 87 with the 5.3 and depends since it's just started to warm up here. A lot of idling and get anywhere from 12mpg in town to 20 on the highway. Ran a few tanks of e85 and noticed the extra power...truck would stay in v4 mode much more but mpg drops about 3mpg. Just filled it with premium and don't notice the power increase I get with e85, but can't really say on my mileage until I do a bit more driving.

There are more BTUs in E85 compared to Gas so more power but it burns much faster there for the loss of MPG but more power.

Archived