Service Theft Deterrent System?

depending on the age of the range module, that is not the problem. have the dealer take your battery out of the truck and bench test it. mine was sending a low voltage message every time I started the truck that would send "service brakes assist" and "service stabltrak" error messages and disable all traction control functions. zero codes were found for either message. dealer replaced the battery and every thing is fine again.

• 2 months later...

Happened to me today. Got in the truck to go see a client, "service theft deterrent system" thought it was odd and the icon on the speedometer of the car/lock stayed on while I drove down the road three miles. Well I park to go see my client and shut the truck off, handle business and come back out and the truck is dead dead. No display when I open the door, nothing when I turn the key, and the key fob is dead. Can't lock or unlock, nothing works in the truck. I left the key in the acc position and about 3-5 minutes later it came on. I started it and it said "Service Stabilitech" but no warning icons on the dash. Called my dealer and they assured me I left a light on and caused a draw. I can guarantee I didn't but oh well. We will see if it happens again.

Well it's me again, truck went to work after lunch fine, drove to the store after work came out and it dead. On the drive here stabilitech service and park assist sensors came on then it died. Getting a tow, great way to start the weekend

I'm with jimcost2014, battery problem.

How old is the battery?

For years I have avoided starting problems and being stranded by replacing my batteries every 4 years. You will have to replace it so why wait till it dies?

Really important to me for the wife's vehicles, works late, 10 degrees, wind blowing, parking lot empty, vehicle has to start, not worth it for $100.00.

Well got the truck back today after being towed to the dealer last night. They said they jiggled wires and checked all connections and it came back on. They said they looked it all over and can't find an issue and just tightened all connections and "it's working fine". I guess that's good enough for them. We shall see if it happens again. I just got the truck a month ago so I can't tell you how old the battery is. It's a 2014 so at worst it's three years old. I'll probably change it this fall as I'm normally out hunting in some remote places and would rather not get stuck without a truck or cell signal.

Funny you should say " I'll probably change it this fall as I'm normally out hunting in some remote places and would rather not get stuck without a truck or cell signal".

I was in my teens, in the upper peninsula of Michigan fishing in a remote area. A storm came in fast, buy the time I got to my truck I was cold and my truck wouldn't start, dead battery, no cell phones then and if there were I bet no service at that location.

I sat for hours,cold and pissed and swore that would never happen again.

Happened to me again today in the same parking lot as last Friday. I'm starting to think there is some bad juju over there. Anyways got back into the truck after dropping off some packages at Fedex and turned the key.....nothing. No power anywhere, dash, key fob etc. Said "ah hell no" popped the hood jiggled the negative cable while pressing unlock on the key fob, nothing. On to the positive cable..yup key fob worked. Guess it's time to get new terminal connections ?

happened last night and I couldn't even unlock it, had to use the key to get inside to pop the hood to wiggle wires, when it got power again it started with the alarm and woke up the neighborhood. Now for tonight... Wife and I are celebrating our anniversary today so we drop children off at my folks to enjoy a night out. I drive to dinner and back and go to pull into their driveway and my lights dim then come back then the truck shuts down. Start it back up, drive up the driveway, pick up the kids and drive 2 miles home. I always back into my driveway and so I pull a little past my home, as I put it in reverse and start to cut the wheel to back into the driveway the lights dim and as I press on the gas slightly the truck rips the wheel out of my hand and straightens itself while park assist is flashing on my screen. Hurt my wrist a little as I would have never expected it to move the wheel. So I try to turn the wheel again to back into the driveway and it whips it back over one full turn, then open and close driver door flashes on the screen, I do that and then open and close driver window flashes on the screen I do that and then start to back up and the truck dies. I start it up and cautiously turn the wheel into the driveway and shut the truck down. I am LIVID. WTF GM?

It has now malfunctioned 10+ times in the last 10 days. GM needs to fix this or buy it back.

Edited by 20feetup
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I purchased a pre-owned 2014 GMC Sierra SLT at the end of June 2016. Last Friday it wouldn't start. I thought maybe I had left one of the doors ajar when removing groceries. AAA came out and jumped it. Started right up. Then the Service Theft Deterrent light came on. I pushed to dismiss and it went out. Every day since whenever I try to start, I get the same thing. Eventually it starts. Today, the Service Theft Deterrent light came on and stayed, along with the check engine light. I took it to the dealer and they said maybe they could "look" at it Friday.

I had a major trip planned starting Saturday, with non-refundable deposits. Prior to taking the plunge and buying this truck, I had a 1997 Ford F150 with over 208K miles. It was so dependable. I hope I didn't make a mistake buying this new(er) truck.

I also think since this is common, GM should be making the fix on their dime. I'll update when I find out the issue.

Sorry to hear of your issues, mine spent more time in the shop than out. I traded it in and got more than I paid for it. Still lost money due to all the service/broken shit I had to fix on that pile of trash gm produced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dealer called me this morning and said the battery needed to replaced, and if that didn't work, they would troubleshoot further. My bill (after replacing the battery) would be $489. The guy didn't miss a beat telling me this. I couldn't believe it and asked the cost of the battery. He said well it is an OEM and it's $249, diagnostics so far is $115, blah blah blah....

I picked it up, paid the $115 and took it to Firestone (who used to repair my other vehicles). New Interstate battery installed for $171 and the tech told me the old battery was hot, possibly indicating a bad cell. He did start it several times and it started right up. He also checked to make sure the alternator was charging.

After I got home I thought that maybe the original battery should have had some sort of warranty. Oh well, I guess it's too late now.

Hopefully, tomorrow will tell after it sits all night.

Edited by TAS123

Isn't this covered under the bumper to bumper warranty? I recall some recent threads of battery issues which were covered under warranty. I would contact GM and try and get your diagnosis fee reimbursed at a minimum. Your dealer sounds like a bunch of crooks.

Maybe he's over the 36k mile limit for the factory warranty. My battery died this past summer, only 2 years old and 13k miles. Had the truck towed to the dealership. New battery and everything was covered under warranty.