Free Oil Change Issue?

I was told by 2 different dealers that if I change my own oil and even if I keep the sales slip and you have a problem with your engine GM will NOT cover you. How do they know you put this oil and filter in this truck ? Because you go to the dealer to have it done it is documented.

I let each of them do 1 each and after I got ripped off (see my other post in this forum) I just did the 3rd myself. I'm tired of this he said she said BS from every one in it for a buck. I'm in it for myself from now on. If I have any problems down the road I make a phone call and let the attorney deal with it and I have everything documented so far including 3 oil samples from all 3 oil changes.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

K I was just reading up on this and see ppl said like you that the dealerships said they have to do it and others saying just keep receipts and records. They can tell if oil is crappy when they drain it meaning if its way old or whatnot. I don't believe they can void the warranty. Give you a hard time.. Maybe but void. ... I agree lawyer time I did mine and in the book wrote down date, mileage, olm, and a receipt for the oil used

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You would think they would want to cash out your oil changes as fast as possible so you start paying the dealer for them. Perhaps they want your engine to self destruct after your warranty expires. They told me i can leave it for 12-15 000 kms. I told them not with the cheap semi syntheic you guys put in these things. One more change and its Mobil One from here out.

The owner's manual talks to the idea of the owner doing some of their own maintenance. They even mention that it's important to keep the records. Here is a copy & paste....

Vehicle Checks

Doing Your Own

Service Work

{Warning

It can be dangerous to work on

your vehicle if you do not have

the proper knowledge, service

manual, tools, or parts. Always

follow owner manual procedures

and consult the service manual

for your vehicle before doing any

service work.

If doing some of your own service

work, use the proper service

manual. It tells you much more

about how to service the vehicle

than this manual can. To order the

proper service manual, see Service

Publications Ordering Information

on page 13-11.

This vehicle has an airbag system.

Before attempting to do your own

service work, see Servicing the

Airbag-Equipped Vehicle on

page 3-34.

Keep a record with all parts receipts

and list the mileage and the date of

any service work performed. See

Maintenance Records on

page 11-16.

Let's not forget the fact that GM credits every dealer that does 1 free oil change the sum of $50.00. Any dealer that is charging any fee other than the difference in price of blend to full is making money off their customers for free oil changes.

Call it what you will but I say it is unfair business practices,running a racket and making money off GM. As one other member said you already paid for those free oil changes in the price of the truck.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told by 2 different dealers that if I change my own oil and even if I keep the sales slip and you have a problem with your engine GM will NOT cover you. How do they know you put this oil and filter in this truck ? Because you go to the dealer to have it done it is documented.

I let each of them do 1 each and after I got ripped off (see my other post in this forum) I just did the 3rd myself. I'm tired of this he said she said BS from every one in it for a buck. I'm in it for myself from now on. If I have any problems down the road I make a phone call and let the attorney deal with it and I have everything documented so far including 3 oil samples from all 3 oil changes.

I'd look for another dealer. Mine will change the oil up to twice a year for the first two years regardless of the DIC readout.

Never use them anyway because I want to run full synthetic not their Dexos blend, I know how much was put in, and the plug and filter properly in stalled and tightened. And as far as documenting your oil changes.....they'll accept writing them down in the back of the owners manual or use the OnStar Email printout. The bottom line is it really has nothing to do with documentation....whether or not you have regular oil changes will be apparent once they pull a valve cover and examine the deposits or lack thereof on the cover, rockers and spring assembly, and the PCV system.

Even if you use the dealer for oil regular changes and upon examination they find cooked deposits or scored bearings with adequate oil pressure, they'll find another excuse to deny a warranty claim, e.g. overheating/misuse of the engine, improper additives......

That is utter BS, and not legal. They cannot avoid liability under the warranty if you have your oil changed somewhere else or you do it yourself. That's a con they run because they want to sell you something else. Frequency of oil changes is the key to success in pushing related products and services for the OEM dealer. A few free oil changes can go a long way toward increasing the amount of money a customer will spend at the dealer during the ownership of the vehicle. In other words, you are money in the bank.

Per the FTC

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select repair facilities if the repair services are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Archived