Free Oil Change Issue?

Has anyone had trouble getting your dealer to change your oil because the oil monitor is not below 15%? My truck has 5400 miles on it and the oil life monitor was at 28% today so I took it in because the original had been in the engine for eight and half months. The service manager said I cannot perform the free service until the oil monitor is at 15% or less. I asked him to show me in writing where GM says the oil life monitor has to be below 15% and I went on explaining I am not willing to leave the original oil in my truck for a year and GM said they would pay for up to 4 oil changes in the first two years or 24,000 miles so I told him to just change the oil. At this point he was pissed and said he would perform the oil change just this time and I told him he better show me in writing the 15% rule otherwise I will bring I back in another 5000 miles. Later I saw him visiting with the sales manager about the issue and he could not come up with the paperwork.

What has been everyone else's experience with this issue?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the service rep told me the same thing when I took the truck in for the first oil change, but after a little bit of explaining she took care of it. I don't drive my truck very often so the 24k within two years will not apply to me. I just had the second oil change at 4k and they didn't give me any hassle the second time around, although they dated the reminder sticker for November or 6 months from this week.

Just looked it up on the GMC website and it specifically states:

1. Covers only scheduled oil changes with filter, tire rotations and 27-point inspections, according to your new vehicle’s recommended maintenance schedule for up to 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. Does not include air filters. Maximum of four service events. See participating dealer for other restrictions and complete details.

Had my oil changed for the first time today. 900mi. and 6 months old. service writer asked me if i was sure i wanted it changed ? I said i am old school and want it changed.He said fine and did it . I figure 4 in 2 years=1per 6 months.however i will be putting more miles on from this point foward.

It must depend on the dealer, my dealer does not give me lip service for the free oil change even when the monitor indicates a fairly high percentage. Typical scenario after service writer gathers vehicle information:

Service guy: "How can I help you?"

Me: " I want my free oil change please"

Service guy: "Yes sir, right away"

I think your guy is just being an ass, I have had 2 oil changes and will soon be on my third in about 3,000 miles and both times my life meter was around 50% and I didn't have any problems with getting it changed. I consider my scheduled maintenance every 5,000 miles and that's when I take it in , no sooner no later.

It's your dealer. I'm sure there are guidelines, but our warranty clerk says there is not a place to enter percentage on the claim to GM. Hence, GM does not know the percentage.

Just to clarify, GM pays for the oil change, not the dealer.

We had a long thread discussion about this back in February...when I had my truck in for the first fire recall (engine idle), my truck was 6 months old with 3,000 miles. I asked the service manager about using one of my free oil changes because the OLM was at 66%. He said it is 4 oil changes / tire rotations during the first 24 months, but whenever customer wants. He went on to say, GM changed their position and sent a memo to the dealers about it. They realized that people like me might only get 1 or 2 at the most, leading to customer satisfaction issues. So, I will change my truck's oil every 6 months and leave it at that.

It seems there is still some inconsistency here. I wish GM dealers would get their act together on the simple stuff!

Perhaps GM Customer Care could get the message out and let higher ups know these squishy policies are really bad for customer satisfaction ...

2 different dealers told me to bring it in every 5,000 miles which is early for these trucks. They both said that's the "sweet spot" for oil changes and they sync up with tire rotations so you can always do them both at once.

My new dealer will do oil changes and tire rotations at 5,000 Miles regardless of what the oil life system says. My old dealer when I had my 2010 Sierra Hybrid 4x4 would go off the monitoring system which put way to many miles between the service intervals causing the front tires to wear uneven. Then they blamed it on the alignment so we purchased an alignment and it was the same uneven cupping of the tires by the next oil change. So we took it to our new dealer and they aggreed that the 4x4's will cup if not rotated before the oil life system says to. Contacted GM even with the new dealer on my side and GM said tough luck were not replacing your tires. The new dealer purchased it from us on our trade in for the 2014 Silverado and so far have held up changing every 5,000 Miles.

The way I read it, they would go by the recommended service interval in the manual. That is every 7500 miles, or when the oil life meter warns you.

I have always changed my oil in all my other vehicles every 3000 miles, so there is no way I am going to go the full 7500 miles between changes. What I'm doing is changing it at half that, 3750 miles. I paid for the 3750, they took care of the 7500, along with rotating the tires. I haven't noticed any uneven wear, at least with the naked eye. I'm pretty sure the tread depth was the same on the checklist as well.

It still bothers me to go past the 3000 mile mark, but with the 8.5 quart oil capacity, it could probably go quite a bit further than a 5 or 6 quart capacity motor before the oil viscosity breaks down.

The way I read it, they would go by the recommended service interval in the manual. That is every 7500 miles, or when the oil life meter warns you.

I have always changed my oil in all my other vehicles every 3000 miles, so there is no way I am going to go the full 7500 miles between changes. What I'm doing is changing it at half that, 3750 miles. I paid for the 3750, they took care of the 7500, along with rotating the tires. I haven't noticed any uneven wear, at least with the naked eye. I'm pretty sure the tread depth was the same on the checklist as well.

It still bothers me to go past the 3000 mile mark, but with the 8.5 quart oil capacity, it could probably go quite a bit further than a 5 or 6 quart capacity motor before the oil viscosity breaks down.

These trucks also take a synthetic blend so the oil is capable of lasting longer. If you're using conventional oil then I would stick with 3,000 miles to be safe. Synthetic blend: 5,000 to be safe. Full synthetic and no reason you can't go 7500 between oil changes. Full synthetic is rated to go much further so changing it at 7500 is still playing it safe.

The days of changing oil at 3000 miles has been gone for over a decade now. I go anywhere from 5000-7500 miles on mine. I make sure the oil is at the right level and drive it. My dealer tried to say something about the miles as well, but they went ahead and changed it for me anyways.

My dealer told me (and others have stated elsewhere on this forum) that GM changed their policy.....it is now 4 oil changes in 2 years. Anytime. Any Mileage. If I want to do all 4 in 6 months that is fine, but more than 4 I pay.

Archived