Free Oil Change Issue?

The only stipulation my dealer said there is with the free oil changes is they all must be done before your truck hits 24000 miles or 40000 km, or two years. So make sure you don't get to many miles on before booking that last oil change.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess what guys,

New GM Policy!!!!

As of 2016..only 2 oil changes not 4 anymore

Yep. You also get a shorter powertrain warranty (only 70,000 miles instead of 100,000).

The change in warranty was the main reason I bought a leftover 2015 instead of a 2016!

Guess what guys,

New GM Policy!!!!

As of 2016..only 2 oil changes not 4 anymore

Old news.

But some dealers are offering 'free oil changes' in addition to the ones supplied by GM.

(we have a car that had 4 gm oil changes, and 4 more by the dealer)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my story on the free oil changes.

I went to dealer 1 and got charged the difference of blend to full synthetic oil which was about 33 bucks.

Dealer 2 did not have the full synthetic oil so they sent to the parts store and brought some to the shop.

BTW you can upgrade from blend to full but once you run full synthetic you can't ever go back to blend.

So dealer 2 charged me 44 bucks for a FREE oil change plus the difference of blend to full. And 1/2 hour labor !! WTF is free about that ? and they charge $75hr labor costs ? Holy F&%k. They told me the next time I can bring in my own oil and they will change it for me so that they can get credit for it ! HA !! Kiss My A**. They would get $50 from GM plus $37.50 for labor and I pay for the oil !! NO WAY JACK !! 8 quarts oil and a filter would run me about $41.50 plus $37.50 for labor for a total of $79 bucks.

So I call dealer 3 and they told me an oil change would be around 33 bucks. They also told me that GM reimburses dealers $50 for each free oil change they honor.

Anyone else have similar issues like this ?

What is your dealers labor cost per hour ? I'd really like to know.

In my world "Free" ment "FREE". So dealer 2 got $50 from GM for my oil change plus they got over $44 from me to pay for the oil and labor.

Needless to say I change my own now like I always have because I got NOTHING FREE ! Dealer 2 got the FREE not me.

UMmmmm, WTF is wrong with this world anymore people ?

I went to dealer 1 and got charged the difference of blend to full synthetic oil which was about 33 bucks.

Dealer 2 did not have the full synthetic oil so they sent to the parts store and brought some to the shop.

BTW you can upgrade from blend to full but once you run full synthetic you can't ever go back to blend.

So dealer 2 charged me 44 bucks for a FREE oil change plus the difference of blend to full. And 1/2 hour labor !! WTF is free about that ? and they charge $75hr labor costs ? Holy F&%k. They told me the next time I can bring in my own oil and they will change it for me so that they can get credit for it ! HA !! Kiss My A**. They would get $50 from GM plus $37.50 for labor and I pay for the oil !! NO WAY JACK !! 8 quarts oil and a filter would run me about $41.50 plus $37.50 for labor for a total of $79 bucks.

So I call dealer 3 and they told me an oil change would be around 33 bucks. They also told me that GM reimburses dealers $50 for each free oil change they honor.

In my world "Free" ment "FREE". So dealer 2 got $50 from GM for my oil change plus they got over $44 from me to pay for the oil and labor.

Needless to say I change my own now like I always have because I got NOTHING FREE ! Dealer 2 got the FREE not me.

Why can't you ever go back to blend?

It's really up to the dealer since they're privately owned. The dealer I bought the truck from and did the first 2 of the 3 free oil changes said that it has to be below 20% for them to do it. Not sure what the other dealer says. Some dealers don't care while others wants it below a %. It thought it was what GM said, but since I've read dealers are different %s then it's what the dealer says. Every time I've done it I've waited until it was below 5%. Now that I'm out of the 2 year maintenance warranty I'll of course do it myself and do it when it's 1% or 2% if I can help it but at least below 5%.

Why in the world do you think if you go to full synthetic you can't go back to blend or even regular oil for vehicles that specify regular oil??? Also the "free" oil changes are based on what is specified for your truck which is the synthetic blend. Wouldn't it be easier to just get your 4 "free" oil changes with the blend and after that put what ever you want in it?

The dealers in my area will still charge you 1/2hr labor anyways. I called GM about that and they basically told me every dealer is different and they can charge whatever they want. So if I'm paying for a free oil change I might as well upgrade now and be done with it, Right ? Did you pay labor for your oil change ?

And I don't "think" I can't go back to blend I was told by all 3 dealers and the GM rep on the phone that you can upgrade to full but you can't go back to blend.

Ask your dealer and call GM and tell us what story you get told.

I had 3 of the free oil changes and tire rotations which were done by 2 dealers. Neither charged a cent for labor.

Also you can change back. If you can change to full synthetic then you can change back to synthetic blend. But personally, why would you want to downgrade oil. Just stick with full synthetic. The 2 year maintenance is done for me so I'll start changing my oil myself again and I plan to use full synthetic. Also the 7,500 is based on synthetic blend. So if you change it to full synthetic you can actually go 10,000 miles before changing the oil again. If you go the 10,000 miles on full synthetic then rotate the tires halfway through so at 5,000 miles.

I had 3 of the free oil changes and tire rotations which were done by 2 dealers. Neither charged a cent for labor.

Also you can change back. If you can change to full synthetic then you can change back to synthetic blend. But personally, why would you want to downgrade oil. Just stick with full synthetic. The 2 year maintenance is done for me so I'll start changing my oil myself again and I plan to use full synthetic. Also the 7,500 is based on synthetic blend. So if you change it to full synthetic you can actually go 10,000 miles before changing the oil again. If you go the 10,000 miles on full synthetic then rotate the tires halfway through so at 5,000 miles.

You cannot go beyond 7,500 miles and maintain your bumper to bumper or powertrain warranty. Full synthetic or not.

I'm curious on something. I have a 15 Silverado and have the 4 free oil changes and stuff. After 1000 miles I changed the oil ( full syn) myself as I know the break in period determines the life of an engine. So now I'm at 6900 and did my 2nd change myself ( full syn). I did it for 2 reasons... I use a clean filler and just feel more confident in my work than someone else's. My question is if I do them on my own does that void my warranty? One oil change costs me roughly 60 bucks...2 5 qt oils and a filter. I can use the unused 2 QTS later. I'm missing out on the rotations and whatever else just curious if I should have them do it or keep on myself...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Archived