The SEALs used the P226 for quite some time. The HK45 compact being adopted is only in the last few years I think? But from what I understand those guys pretty much use what they want for pistols and such.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

I have a 19 and love it. I plan to use it as a carry gun. I've heard of people putting thousands of rounds through their Glock without cleaning and it still operates perfectly. I've only put about 350 through mine and still haven't cleaned it.

My next handgun will be either a Kimber 1911 or S&W M&P 40.

It's a Glock do with it what you will, if for some reason it breaks they'll make it right. That's odd that dry firing can break it. I keep hearing people say dry firing is bad but I've never had a problem and most of my manuals say it's fine to do. I only own 1 Glock though so not a Glock expert, or any expert, and it might be the first gun I've ever gotten rid of.

Tapped out on my beastly OPPO Find 7a

Dry firing your Glock will not break it, it will cause no harm at all. Dry fire away.

Dry firing your Glock will not break it, it will cause no harm at all. Dry fire away.

This. Dry firing is pushed heavily by many tactical teams. It's a tried and true training method to help with trigger control, sight alignment, etc. that doesn't cost you any money.

This. Dry firing is pushed heavily by many tactical teams. It's a tried and true training method to help with trigger control, sight alignment, etc. that doesn't cost you any money.

I would have to guess that my duty pistol, Glock 22 has been dry fired at least 10,000 times during training drills.

Whoever told that poster that dry firing will harm their striker fired pistol is a clown and does not have any idea what they are talking about.

Dry firing is bad for some older firearms, such as older designed rimfire rifles (.22). The problem with that is the way the chamber is designd, and the way the firing pin hits the outside mouth of the chamber instead of a piece of brass when it is dry fired. Dry firing that design can damage the firing pin because the chamber material is much harder, and cause peening of the barrel face. Some newer guns are still designed this way so if you plan on doing it with a rimfire, be sure to check first.

The general rule I teach to my guys on dry fire is, any firearm that allows the firing pin, hammer nose, or striker to make contact with the breech face of the firearm should not be dry fired and only be fired for practice with snap caps (dummy rounds).

You can dry fire most any modern centerfire rifle, striker fired pistol, modern revolver, and shotgun. Most new firearms must be dry fired to be disassembled. If it could cause harm, the manufacturer would have designed it differently.

Archived