2015 YUKON NOISE IN CABIN

I'd be really interested in seeing If the roof rails actually works.

I could easily see someone creating a kit of 4 or 6 shark fin styled wedges that run parallel to the roof lines (perpendicular to the roof rack cross rails).

This would keep the roof aesthetically pleasing and avoid negative wind drag.

You could mount them to the cross bars, or as @zfast03 mentioned, with 3M tape.

Edited by SierraMyst

We are considering buying a 2016 Suburban LS 5.3L V-8 (SIDI, Active Fuel Mgmt), without ANC, but with 20" wheels. I have been reading this particular forum thread for almost three hours. How prevalent is this problem and does anyone have a normal experience with these high-end SUVs? Does the Rear Axle ratio seem to make a difference? The one we are considering has the 3.42 Ratio for Max Trailering, as opposed to the normal 3.08 ratio (GU6 RPO). Also, does the sunroof seem to be a contributor? Is there anything else to look for in Suburbans that DON'T have issues? I'm trying to do my due diligence before dropping this kind of money on a vehicle. Thanks so much in advance - ANY advice would be appreciated.

I have been reading this particular forum thread for almost three hours. ... does anyone have a normal experience with these high-end SUVs? I'm trying to do my due diligence ...

"Normal experience" on this thread is sorting through the issues you read. It may be luck vs due diligence if you buy one of these trucks without issues. Send me a PM if you're leaning hard on getting one.

We are considering buying a 2016 Suburban LS 5.3L V-8 (SIDI, Active Fuel Mgmt), without ANC, but with 20" wheels. I have been reading this particular forum thread for almost three hours. How prevalent is this problem and does anyone have a normal experience with these high-end SUVs? Does the Rear Axle ratio seem to make a difference? The one we are considering has the 3.42 Ratio for Max Trailering, as opposed to the normal 3.08 ratio (GU6 RPO). Also, does the sunroof seem to be a contributor? Is there anything else to look for in Suburbans that DON'T have issues? I'm trying to do my due diligence before dropping this kind of money on a vehicle. Thanks so much in advance - ANY advice would be appreciated.

It's pretty much dumb luck. We bought our first 2015 GMC Yukon XL (with trailering package, so no, it doesn't make a difference) in October of '15. Within 3 days the buffetting presented itself. The dealer worked with GM for a buy-back and replacement. I test drove 5 others, including a Denali, and all of them (to me) had it to one level or another, but none were anywhere near as bad as our original. If I had bought any of those, I likely wouldn't have ever brought it back to the dealer and just assumed it was something wrong with me. We got a '16 that is 95% better, but on cold mornings and rough pavement it still has the pressure issue.

Our neighbors across the street bought a 2016 LT Suburban 6 months ago and have had no issues whatsoever. Same with a co-worker that bought a 2016 Tahoe LTZ 9 months ago.

Take the vehicle for a long test drive. Get it onto the highway, side roads, as many different conditions as you can find. It may be perfectly fine, and you may be someone who doesn't notice it either way.

If you can find a good one, these vehicles really are great to own. We tow a 6000 lb boat with 6 people and all of our gear, and it handles it all with ease.

Good luck.

I was in your same position almost exactly a year ago. First, I would look to buying the newest model you can. Check Costco for their holiday deal with Chevy, usually a decent price + a $500.00 Costco card and 50% off 1 dealer part part (like mats etc). Also, consider ordering a car so you get exactly what you want, every thing can be had ala cart except the standard options, it will take about 6 weeks but you get what you want.

Ok, we had a 2001 Suburban with 200,000 miles, very few problems rode like the family couch. We ordered a 2016 Suburban LT with 2nd row captain chairs, tow package, roof rack and 18" wheels. The new Suburban is appointed very nicely, much nicer than our 2001. BUT, the ride is now what they call, "European Tuned". They are firm and do not ride like your fathers Cadillac. Also, the fact that the engine management system to save fuel will run as a 4 cylinder which will be rougher and rumble a bit to it goes back to V8 mode.

With that said, this is the best car we have owned, at 54 I have owned a lot of different cars from BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Subaru, Mazda, Willys Jeep, Ford and more. My wife and I drive our 2016 Suburban from the SF Bay Area to our ranch east of Eugene Oregon, a 10 hour drive. We have traveled in snow, ran, over smooth Oregon Highways, gritty Oakland Ca freeways, on long gravel roads, through active creaks and up unpaved rutted logging roads. This Suburban travels just as well as the 2001 because it is a truck. It also have so many more safety features it is almost ridiculous. For us, the 23 mpg on the highway is a huge advantage advantage.

I now have 15,200 miles on our 1 year old car and I love it. Yes, when it is in V4 mode it rumbles and vibrates a little, (ours a lot less than others on this list). As an example, my wife has never noticed it shift from V4 to V8. To me, the better gas mileage is worth it. We don't hear the booming or pressure the others on this list hear/feel. Again, this is a truck and a great long range vehicle but also a worthy off road vehicle, but it does ride firm. I think a lot of the ride complaints come from the low profile tires, 20's and 22's. I know they look cool but this is a 2 1/2 truck and in my opinion those tires do not give enough flex for a smooth ride . . . others will disagree.

I will say, do not but a used low mileage model as it is probably a return do to the issues on this list. Really, think about what you want and order exactly that model, the showroom models have so much stuff on them you may not want or need but you will pay for. One other thing, I have found the standard Halogen lights are not bright enough for my old eyes or driving in the forest at night, if you fall in this category you may opt for HID or as I am currently trying, after market LED's.

Good luck, drive a few and see for your self.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16T016

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/c2651520e3be4b14907d04de6350adb3/giti-continental-recall-defective-tires-265000-vehicles

Are these the tires that come with some of the vehicle. 20" and 22"

Is this possibly part of the problem or the majority of the problem?

Continental Tire is recalling certain Crosscontact LX20 tires made in May 2015 that were installed on more than General Motors trucks and sports utility vehicles. The roughly 14,500 tires involved in the recall have a problem that could cause excessive tread wear, vibration, noise, or bulging areas. They also will be replaced for free. For more information, call Continental at 888-799-2168.

Edited by zfasts03

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16T016

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/c2651520e3be4b14907d04de6350adb3/giti-continental-recall-defective-tires-265000-vehicles

Are these the tires that come with some of the vehicle. 20" and 22"

Is this possibly part of the problem or the majority of the problem?

Continental Tire is recalling certain Crosscontact LX20 tires made in May 2015 that were installed on more than General Motors trucks and sports utility vehicles. The roughly 14,500 tires involved in the recall have a problem that could cause excessive tread wear, vibration, noise, or bulging areas. They also will be replaced for free. For more information, call Continental at 888-799-2168.

My Yukon rides on the LX20s and my dealership had to replace *6* (yes, six!) to get them all under 15lbs of RF and eliminate the buffeting. My Yukon was built in the last week of April 2015 and this recall is only for 6 days of tires manufactured in May. I will also note that after putting ~10,000km on them, the buffeting seemed to very slowly return towards the end of the summer. I put my winter shoes [bFG KO2s] a few weeks ago and all is again quiet.

A bit further back in this thread, I posted numerous comments that I collected from various tire review sites about the LX20s that were used on a different vehicles, not just K2XX trucks. The LX20s just don't seem to be a very good tire and many owners reported vibrations. I'll be replacing mine with Michelins as soon as they become intolerable.

Again, it's my belief that the tires are not the root cause of the buffeting issue but it's the only input in our control that can diminish it or in my case, eliminate it.

I bought a set of Michelin Ltx premiers which seems to have resolved the buffeting, however I still have the slightest bit of booming over rough roads. The booming has definitely inproved since I got the new tires, but there is still a hint of it.

Edited by Ozzii

What about ears pressure is it gone ?

It did for me. To me, "ear pressure" and buffeting are the same thing. Reproduced it on 2 different sets of wheels/tires.

According to the tire shop I used for my BFG K02s, 25lbs road force balance is typical for LT [light truck] tires. They exchanged 2 to get mine 12lbs or better and it's been quiet ever since. 15lbs was my dealerships goal for P [passenger] tires, but the LX20s 'sound' like they're getting worse after ~10,000km.

Find a knowledge tire shop with a road force balancing machine, not a traditional one.

It's worth the time spent as I've enjoyed driving the Yukon for the last 6 months. Something i couldn't say for the first 6 months.

Many vehicles have quirks. Some need oil top-ups. Some eat batteries. Some need well balanced tires!

--

Marc

Edited by FogDucker

I bought a set of Michelin Ltx premiers which seems to have resolved the buffeting, however I still have the slightest bit of booming over rough roads. The booming has definitely inproved since I got the new tires, but there is still a hint of it.

Did you have 20" rims or 22"s?

What about ears pressure is it gone ?

The only issue I still have is a slight booming noise when I go over bumps at slow speeds. My Tahoe was in for the air bag recall on Wednesday and the service manager informed me that there was a new updated exhaust system. He ordered the updated exhaust and I should have it in a week or two. Ill report back as soon as its replaced.

Edited by Ozzii

The only issue I still have is a slight booming noise when I go over bumps at slow speeds. My Tahoe was in for the air bad recall one Wednesday and the service manager informed me that there was a new updated exhaust system. He ordered the updatedf exhaust and I should have it in a week or two. Ill report back as soon as its replaced.

I think my yukon was one of the 1st with the new exhaust, fixed the buffeting issue for less than a month then it slowly crept back.