wornout key fob

I have a 2014 LTZ 1500,, About 21,000 miles on it.. The buttons on the key fob are pretty much trashed,, Key is either in my pocket or the truck,, My dealer said they would not even submit it to GM for warranty, because they said they would be told it was abused,, If pushing the buttons to lock and unlock are abuse, I must have a different idea of what abuse is.. Has anyone else had their fob wear like this. I was told by the dealer it would be over $200 for the fob and programing.. way more than I want to spend on a remote. post-48826-0-17008600-1408292846_thumb.jpg

post-48826-0-17008600-1408292846_thumb.jpg

I have a 2014 LTZ 1500,, About 21,000 miles on it.. The buttons on the key fob are pretty much trashed,, Key is either in my pocket or the truck,, My dealer said they would not even submit it to GM for warranty, because they said they would be told it was abused,, If pushing the buttons to lock and unlock are abuse, I must have a different idea of what abuse is.. Has anyone else had their fob wear like this. I was told by the dealer it would be over $200 for the fob and programing.. way more than I want to spend on a remote. attachicon.gifDSCF1154fob.jpg

Is it just a cosmetic issue or are you having problems with the buttons also.

Just give this key fob to your significant other. Lol

the buttons still work,, but not sure how much longer,, I still have the other original that is brand new,, but thinking they shouldn't wear out so soon. Wife doesn't need a key,, she has her own car.

What did you do to it?!

Do you often lift heavy things? I'm guessing that your fob is being crushed while in your pocket. I had a similar problem with a blackberry years ago. you can get protective silicon cases for FOBs. I would suggest buying one or a carabiner-style clip to attach your keys to your pants.

What did you do to it?!

Do you often lift heavy things? I'm guessing that your fob is being crushed while in your pocket. I had a similar problem with a blackberry years ago. you can get protective silicon cases for FOBs. I would suggest buying one or a carabiner-style clip to attach your keys to your pants.

I lift very few heavy things,, retired,,, so I lift a beer now and then and maybe a fishing pole. It is mainly just the buttons that are sinking in. Not sure I have seen a case for a fob and hate having something hanging on my belt

• Like 1

First one I have seen with this kind of wear and tear. I doubt you will have much luck with GM, so I would probably just buy a replacement remote on ebay for about 40-50 bucks. Swap the electronics out so you won't have to bother paying the dealer to program it to the truck for you.

• Like 1

Wow I saw a remote from a truck that burned and it didn't look that bad.

If this is a serious post, do as suggested and buy an ebay fob and swap the

insides.

Edited by waumo1

nope,, no batteries, no gloves, no burning houses, not an alien, I try not to work up a sweat, this is the first remote I have had that did this,, about my 4th truck with a remote. No idea what caused it.. guess I am stuck buying another one. thanks everyone

Edited by daveor

i dont know if your remote is made much different than the SLE other than yours has chrome on it and mine is all black, but the quality of the remotes seems very crappy in comparison to other remotes GM has used over the years.

no clue about it wearing out to the extent that yours did but it just feels very light weight, thin plastic and the buttons suck to push(again in comparison to other GM remotes).

i like the remote they use on the equanox/terrain with the pop out key, but i checked it will contact the shifter on the steering column so we cant use it.

fyi your remote looks like hell, call gm and send them a email with it. be sure to include that this is a personal truck not a work truck.