In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Green 1364

Heated Steering Wheel

I had my truck in for service one of the things I had them look at was my heated steering wheel. Only the bottom and sides get slightly warm. When I took delivery I'm pretty sure the whole thing got warm. Dealer told me it's working. Can any of you please check yours for me and let me know if your wheel gets warm at the top as well as the bottom.

Thank you in advance!

2014 Sierra SLT. Mine warm in the same areas as yours since day one. I thought the same thing when I first took delivery. My pops owns a dealership so we hit every 2014 sierra/silverado that was equipped. They all do it

My '08 Sierra Denali had one as does my '11 Sierra Denali. They heated/heat up all the way around.

Maybe they are doing something different in the newer models. One of my favorite features that even my

wife's fully loaded Caddy CTS doesn't have.

Talking about stuff that heats, I wish someone would come up with a reliable system for heated windshield solvent like my '08 had. That system got recalled as a fire hazard, the supplier went under, and it is no longer an option.

Talking about stuff that heats, I wish someone would come up with a reliable system for heated windshield solvent like my '08 had. That system got recalled as a fire hazard, the supplier went under, and it is no longer an option.

Alphatherm took the basic design that was used in the '07-'08 trucks, and fixed all of the issues with the cheap boards and components. I have had one in my '13 for the past year, and it works flawlessly. I just don't GM wants to mess with them again if something went wrong. I love the heated fluid on a frosty windshield.

Mine gets warmer on the bottom and sides as well. Top not so much.

I haven't gotten to use mine in the winter yet, not sure how effective checking it in 90 deg weather is, but...when I was test driving a few different trucks it seemed like each one was different. One would feel hotter than another, one I could only feel the heat on the sides and not the top so much, another one I felt more heat toward the top and not just the sides. Some felt barely warm, others toasty. Feature seemed really inconsistent to me between trucks. I haven't tried it again since I bought it in June, maybe later today.

The heated steering wheel is like the heated seats and most other things on this truck, inconsistent. Mine gets a nice even toasty warm on the sides and the bottom.

on the left side of the steering wheel by the cruise control, if you have it. button won't be there if you don't.

I'll second the Alphatherm unit. Live in a valley, so frost/ice almost every day in the winter. Was one of my favorite options ever in my 07. My last two, '11, and '14 have had the always-on Alphatherm units. Don't get as hot as the original, but gets the job done.

• Like 1

Checked mine over the weekend, and the entire wheel gets the same toasty warm temperature, although the sides and bottom seem to get warm faster

After reading the OP, I tried mine and luckily it heats all around :)

Mines gets warm spots and them seems to cool off. The dealers checked it and says thats normal. We tried on a few other trucks to see if they did the same thing, which they did.

Ahh...once again, GM's famous words...NORMAL! Really...don't remember it saying in the truck brochure that the heated steering wheel only heats sometimes in spots.So lets see what I spent my hard earned money on. A radio that has horrible reception. Headlights that totally suck. Heated seat issues. Cheap paint and chip problems. Rusting frames. No foot well or glove compartment lighting. No AC or Heat in the back of crew cabs. The engineers that spent years testing this truck should be fired and GM should pay to fix these problems!

• Like 1