6.0 gas engine

One of my fuel ups this week (Edmonton Canada region) 87 octane was  $1.049/liter and diesel was $1.299/liter. This equals $34 per tank difference. No real point here other than to continue to be thankful that I can load my 6.0 without a care about in the world about fuel economy and servicing even if a Duramax hands me my ass on long grade. For what it is, it's cheap to run, cheap to service and is not likely to spend time in the shop for sensors or emission  issues. I love diesel power but now that I'm older and wiser I can see the other side. 

For reference, the 25 cent difference is extreme but 87 is usually a between 5-15 cents cheaper here. Diesel does get a bit cheaper (maybe 5 cents at the most) a few times per year but it's the exception and not the norm. 

What I wouldn't give for a 8.0 Vortec/10-speed option in 2020. A guy can dream, anyway. 

I feel the same as you , good comments.

Grizzly
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, magnum74 said:

One of my fuel ups this week (Edmonton Canada region) 87 octane was  $1.049/liter and diesel was $1.299/liter. This equals $34 per tank difference. No real point here other than to continue to be thankful that I can load my 6.0 without a care in the world about fuel economy and servicing even if a Duramax hands me my ass on long grade. For what it is, it's cheap to run, cheap to service and is not likely to spend time in the shop for sensors or emission  issues. I love diesel power but now that I'm older and wiser I can see the other side. 

For reference, the 25 cent difference is extreme but 87 is usually a between 5-15 cents cheaper here. Diesel does get a bit cheaper (maybe 5 cents at the most) a few times per year but it's the exception and not the norm. 

What I wouldn't give for a 8.0 Vortec/10-speed option in 2020. A guy can dream, anyway. 

Thats about the exact same up here in Northern Saskatchewan, Gas is 1.07 and diesel is 1.15.  I had an 03 5.9l cummins prior to my 6.0 and the cummins would have probably out pulled my new truck any day, but the convenience of less maintenance, not having to plug in all the time, a cheaper initial purchase price, plus the cheaper fuel price keeps me happy knowing I went to the gas truck this time. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2014 at 2:27 PM, cat320 said:

I'm not sure if this has been talked about on here but why does the 2015 hd's have the old 6.0 engine in them ? with all the technology out there they could not improve on this engine to .

1. get better gas millage.

2. get more power and torque .

because it seams to be able to tow close to the duramax as far as weight goes .

I say this not that i tow everyday but i do tow but not enough to justify another $9K on a diesel .

after seeing those people who do that run in Colorado on u-tube it looked like the truck could not get out of its on way towing to it's limit the brakes stayed cool as they pointed out on one side of the run. here is the video

I'm hoping it will do the job but that video just killed it for me

I watched both videos of the chevy 6.0 and the ram 6.4 back to back, and they clearly are biased to the ram. They were really talking it up and selling it on the ram. Barely said anything positive about the chevy 6.0. What I seen was the 6.0 Wide Open for over 10 minutes and stayed in the power 99% of the time, crushed a bigger more powerful 6.4 hemi and stunted the testers. L96 looks solid to me. 

• Like 2

yep, real world towing and driving the 6.0 is hard to beat. after 50,000 miles I still love mine.. Not one issue. My last two fords I couldn't go a few hundred miles with out an issue... " Triton years" 

• 3 weeks later...

Fuso must like it too.  They are going to put the L96 6.0 into some of their Class 4 and Class 5 cab over trucks this year.  But taking the game a step further. They are going to put Allison 1000 transmissions behind them.  Now that is what GM should have done.... given us a Allison option for the L96 in the 2500/3500 series pickups.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

That would have been a great option and I would have ordered it. They had it behind the 8.1, why they couldn't make it available with the 6.0 is a mystery.Talk about a bullet proof drivetrain.....