Precision Rifles Pics...show em.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

IMAG0612.jpg

This is my contribution. Savage 10FP chambered in .308. I put it in a MDT TAC-21 chassis with a Magpul PRS stock. Dressed it with a Redfield Battlezone 6-18 X 44 and no name bipod.

The smaller one is a lowly 10/22.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well i got tired of trying to find a savage and did some shopping. Found a remington 700 sps varmit i really liked. 26 inch heavy barrel in .308. Mounted up a 6x24x44 IR barska swat extreme scope i had already and a 6-13" bipod. faf4c8ab2de72b108c0661b5bad563a0.jpg

Waiting on some bullets to ship so i can start loading and see what it likes. Got some 165 grain honady sst's on order.

Finally! A couple guys that want a real wood stock.

I was beginning to feel I was the only one on the board.

I started with bolt guns when I was a 6 year old kid in Montana. Still have my Stevens single shot .22 rifle. I don't have any true varmint or bench guns, but I have had a few rifles that were great shooters...mostly big game calibers. This one is a '90s era Winchester M70 Classic (pre-64 style Mauser claw extractor) with a Browning style BOSS (Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System, harmonic tuner). My trigger work and bedding. I've shot some 5 shot 100 yd groups under 1/2" and some as low as 3/8". Pretty amazing to me for a field barrel. That's a B&L 6-24x scope. It's in .264 Win Mag and I was shooting 85gr Sierras and 120gr Noslers. Nothing special about the load other than I seated the bullets within .030 of the lands on the 120gr Noslers. Can't get that close with the little short 85gr. I took a New Mexico antelope out a 525 yds with the Nosler load.

I have actually become a shotgun guy in the last 10-15 years and haven't shot that gun in about that long. But I built a rifle or two in my day. The next few pics are of my other rifle I built from a Rem 600. Started with a .243 and threw out everything except the receiver. It has a Shilen barrel and my custom stock with a hand-made trigger guard/floorplate (for you guys that know the Rem 600 had a plastic one). I built that gun 20-25 years ago. 6lbs and change. Not the precision shooter I had hoped for, but I picked a straw for a barrel.

DSC_2859%20Medium_zpshugflcm3.jpg

PICT0155.jpg

PICT0163.jpg

PICT0162.jpg

Did you get him with the 208g AMAX subsonic's? or standard velocity. Just wondering as i am considering subsonics for some close range night hog hunting. Always seemed iffy. if it was subsonic did the bullet exit the animal?

Yes ... subsonic.

No, there was no exit wound.

I too would be skeptical using subs at anything over 75 yards on a pig.

Pigs have some impressive armor.

• 2 weeks later...

This

photobucket-21672-1376246533482_zps7370d

or maybe the 375

40calcan19w.jpg

But then this 308 has been shooting very good

Mega308done29w.jpg

and I cant leave the integral suppressed 44 mag at home if I'm working 150 yrds or less

TC44magintegral2w.jpg

If I want some realy good hard hitting quiet fun then the 510 whisper comes out with the 700-900 grn pills.

510Whisper1w.jpg

2039e37fb2c54ee9cd6ee17c23d7cd27.jpg

First trip to range with my new 308. 3 shot group at 100 yards. Dang good start!

Very nice group. What ammo/powder are you using. You may be able to tighten it up even more if you play around with different bullet types, weights, and powders.

I would suggest shooting five round groups while attempting to find the right combination for the perfect loads. Those five round groups better illustrate the consistency of your rifle and how accurate the barrel really is.

If you can get around .5" five round group, you have a pretty damn good rifle and it should shoot that tight all day long if you do your part.

For your off the shelf hunting rifle, a three round group is all you really need to worry about. That is the average number of rounds sent down range by hunters.

For a precision rifle that you plan on having fun with, will be used for duty purposes, five round groups are what you want.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, what type of rifle are you using? Make/model?

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Remington 700 sps varmit. 26 inch heavy barrel. Loading some 165 grain hornady sst's with 36 grains of varget in lake city brass. I shot about 10 test groups. 165 and 180 grain bullets with 32-38 grains powder. I loaded some more rounds to test around the 36 grain mark, just have to get back to range.

24314d6f12bd0f22197debd5d9e91203.jpg

Archived