6.2L and lifts mpgs

Thats because u drive at 70, and probably have 3.08 gears..18.5mpg for me at 63mph on highway 6.2l , 3.43 gears 35.5" tires 8" lift and tuned correcty for proper mph adjustment. Otherwise stock, engine purrs at 63mph. I really dont care if I got 14mpg, its a 60k for crying out loud lol.

I'm 3.42 gears. I just want to ride along with one of those who claim high mpg after lift/wheels/tires. I need to learn their secret. My truck stays below 2K rpm 99% of the time and feel like I won the lottery when I get 15 mpg. Honestly, I'm happy with 15 mpg, as I came from a Tundra that was a gas hog.

@aldila , understand, regarding 6.2l, lifts and mpg as the threads title, I do think 6.2ls lifted will get better milage then 5.3s lifted as 5.3ls have to work harder vs the 6.2l which feels right at home after slapping bigger tires on etc... They (GM) done a really good job on the 6.2l, mpg and power at low rpm /crusing speeds.

Bigger motors, more HP and lower gears usually doesn't equal better mpg. How is everyone calculating their mileage? I just asked the wife and she uses the average mileage on the DIC. She said she's getting 13.5 all city. That's pathetic, but believable. Our last tahoe was worse than my truck in town.

Thats because u drive at 70, and probably have 3.08 gears..18.5mpg for me at 63mph on highway 6.2l , 3.43 gears 35.5" tires 8" lift and tuned correcty for proper mph adjustment. Otherwise stock, engine purrs at 63mph. I really dont care if I got 14mpg, its a 60k for crying out loud lol.

3.42s and 5.3 and my truck never sees 70mph. ever. got a pic of that 18.5avg?

I can photoshop a pic to show 22mpg going 83mph so dont think a pic shouod not give me (or anyone else) anymore credibility. I have no monetary gain by the words I state on this simple forum. Just stating what I know of my truck, my driving , my environment that others may find as a helpful as a real world example.

400 mile average

Flagstaff to Phoenix

Grand Canyon to Phoenix

Look at the pics in my gallery, there are a few shots of mileage in the 20's. It's not that hard if you have a light foot and don't spend a lot of time with an idling engine. If you have oversize tires, investing in a Hypertech is well worth it because it totally affects your shift points, V-4 engagement, and of course mileage. Sometimes with light traffic I can accelerate on a flat road from 20-50mph in V-4. Above 70mph it's almost always V-8. The instantaneous mileage jump from V-8 to V-4 is usually about 20%, e.g., where I might see 24mpg instantaneous in V-8 it will increase to 28-30mpg in V-4 at the same speed. It's very load and grade dependent. Other tricks: you get a lot better mileage cruising in 6th instead of 5th around town. With my 3.42 rear end and 34-inch tires, if I accelerate from 46 to 47mph it changes from 5th to 6th, then I can slow down to 45 (or less) and it stays locked up in 6th, resulting in around town cruising with an instantaneous readout of about 34mpg in V-4. If I don't do the speed up to 47 to shift into 6th then slow back down, my instantaneous readout will be in the low 20's in 5th vs low 30's in 6th, which over the course of a 500 mile tank makes a big difference.

Bottom line is I'm still over 20mpg overall after 37K miles. My worst mileage was down to 15 when doing some light towing (about 3-4000 pounds), and I have also been able to get the mileage down to 16-18 during high speed cruising into the wind uphill at 80mph. Dropping it down to 75 from 80 makes a difference; 65-70 on rural roads is a lot better.

Bottom line is it's a truck and I usually get better mileage than a lot of people, certainly better than when I was younger with a heavier foot. By comparison, my Tundra 5.7 got 15 overall vs my Sierra's 20, so I'm very happy with a 33% improvement. The Tundra had more of a hair trigger throttle but with practice could still be driven gently. The Sierra has a softer throttle response, but still moves when you step on it. Climbing hills in Colorado, etc. on the freeway the Sierra spends a lot more time in 5th or even 6th whereas the Tundra always had to downshift to 4th, I think the SIerra 5.3 makes more torque at lower rpms than the Tundra's 5.7, but I could be wrong. What I am sure about is the long hill climbs in the SIerra that show instantaneous readouts of 12-14mpg showed no better than 8 in the Tundra, so no surprise that my overall mileage in the Sierra is so much better.

Tundra was great, the Sierra is great, too. The 14/15 Tundra have the same drivetrain as the 07 Tundra had, so when I decided to replace my 07 Tundra I shopped elsewhere. I was impressed with the 14 Sierra last year; 37K miles later I still am.

Finally someone speaks the truth. I don't understand how those who claim high mpg after larger tires, level, lift, etc. Bone stock my 5.3 got 18 mpg cruising at 70. I'm around 14-15.5 cruising at 70 now.

You said at 70...

at 55 leveled stock tires i get 18 to 21, at 85 I get 17 to 18

Currant average is 17.9 but I have been driving slower then grandma while playing with it.

Driving it normal, stock tires and level I was at 14.8 average.

That is all in town driving, it went up fast when I hit the highway.

Speed seems to greatly impact our mileage.

coming back from salt lake city to denver I saw 46 miles per gallon as an average.

I had to reset the the calculations.

I was rolling down a mountain pass.

We can make those numbers show anything.

Archived