Rattle in headliner

Hello everybody. New member here and also first new truck. I bought this truck about 2 weeks ago. I have my loves and hates but recently i noticed a rattle in my headliner. I would tap it in different places and couldnt pinpoint it. So i decided to maybe take it to the dealer but before that day, i wanted to try again as to pinpoint it. Well i found the rattle and its located inside the glasses holder. Inside is two tabs and the one on the right is the culprit. As of now, i haven't tried to fix it but im making this post to inform others here before wasting your time at the dealership.

c2e051d930f1ac61732cedf657e6c6c7.jpg

82428b7f4919493c7ca3c38eb3fbfc1a.jpg

Just take it completely out, it doesn't appear to serve any real purpose. I tried wedging some weatherstripping under it but it came loose and started rattling again. So after someone else reported about taking theirs completely out, I did the same.

• 1 month later...

Saw a fix for this on the Troubleshooting page. I think the one person just taped it up or wedged a piece of rubber in to stop it from moving around.

Just finished my sound system and my dome light is also rattling. I cannot seem to find the thread mentioned here. Can you provide a link?

Thanks

Thanks for sharing but this has been discussed a lot already. You can take it out or even tape it up with felt or velcroe so it Dosent move.

But let me tell you it was driving me nuts!

Just finished my sound system and my dome light is also rattling. I cannot seem to find the thread mentioned here. Can you provide a link?

Thanks

I think this was the thread, but doesn't really tell you anything new than what's reported here. http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/163572-dash-rattle-solved/

I was glad to get rid of this rattle by completely removing the clip, and I recently took care of the dash rattle and center console rattle too.

I was just looking at my sun glass holder... playing around with that little clip.... now my sun glass holder wont open at all...

take a paper clip and unbend and poke around up there in where the clip is and it you should get it to release. It actually might be the other clip next to it. The same thing happened to me when I put some weatherstripping behind that clip and then I couldn't open the holder anymore. I got it unstuck with the paper clip and then I totally removed that useless clip.

• 1 month later...

New rattle today in the headliner, if I put my hand over my head, and brace the headliner, it stops. I don't think it's my sunglass holder. Sounds like a machine gun...ratatatatatataaa...

New rattle today in the headliner, if I put my hand over my head, and brace the headliner, it stops. I don't think it's my sunglass holder. Sounds like a machine gun...ratatatatatataaa...

You must've had Friday built truck where the builders put a couple washers in the headliner to drive you crazy! hahahaha.

In all seriousness, I haven't heard this rattle in my truck yet, although I could still be thinking its the clip in the sunglass holder. Once it gets nicer I'm going to remove that clip and see.

Does anyone know the actual purpose of the rattle clip?

• 3 months later...

I pulled this piece out of my sunglass holder and the rattling didnt go away. Did you ever figure out what it is? it's definitely coming from the sunglass holder area. Thanks in advance for any help!

Archived