Adding turn signals to 2015+ HD tow mirrors

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please educate me on how the functions are set up from factory?

When the lights are on , do the orange led lights on back of mirror stay on?

On the 2015+ trucks with DQS mirrors from the factory, the yellow LEDs on the front of the mirror operate as clearance lamps. They only light up when the parking lamps are on.

My controller takes a mirror that already functions in that manner and changes how these yellow LEDs operate. With the controller, they operate as clearance lamps like the factory would, but it also detects when your turn signal is on and flashes those lights in unison with your turn signals.

That being said, I'm working with a manufacturer to supply me with the last parts I need to have a small batch of these made up. I will end up making about 25 sets of controllers for those who have shown interest. No definite timeline on that yet. I'll let you know when I know more. Thanks for your patience everyone!

On the 2015+ trucks with DQS mirrors from the factory, the yellow LEDs on the front of the mirror operate as clearance lamps. They only light up when the parking lamps are on.

My controller takes a mirror that already functions in that manner and changes how these yellow LEDs operate. With the controller, they operate as clearance lamps like the factory would, but it also detects when your turn signal is on and flashes those lights in unison with your turn signals.

That being said, I'm working with a manufacturer to supply me with the last parts I need to have a small batch of these made up. I will end up making about 25 sets of controllers for those who have shown interest. No definite timeline on that yet. I'll let you know when I know more. Thanks for your patience everyone!

Count me in !

I'm the same way. My OEM LT mirrors didn't have turn signals. The Tow mirrors I added include them but they are not operating because the OEM harness wasn't wired that way. Will this kit when\if it becomes available make them operational?

now I have an SLE and didn't have blinkers, of course the tows I have added have them. Will this make them work for me by adding one of these harnesses?

My guess is no, just adding one of these boards from Phydiux won't make them work if you haven't added a line from the turn signal circuits. A wire from the headlights on respective sides would likely need to be run to the mirrors for the turn signals. The same may have to be done for the running lights for those who don't have it wired to do so from the factory.

I could be wrong, but I have a strong feeling that it would have to be done this way just cause if not, then the board wouldn't have any inputs from the running lights or turn signals.

• Like 1

On my 2015 sierra SLT 6.2 I had factory power fold mirrors with intergrated turn signal. They new tow mirrors were plug and play but some of the functionality wasn't correct. Looking for the best way to correct the problem. Amber clearance lamps only come on when I unlock my truck at night. White LEDs never come on. Ideally I want the amber lights to run anytime my headlights are on and have an intergrated turn signal flash. Also I would like the white LEDs to perform as a puddle light at least. It appears this mod you have designed is very close to exactly what I have been looking to do. Any ideas, help, feedback would be awesome.

The controller doesn't fix a broken wiring harness. If your harness is wired as a 2015+ (with DQS mirrors) harness is wired for parking lamp voltage supply on pin 1, then the controller will modify the functionality of the clearance lamp to also operate as a turn signal.

On JKStephens' truck, he has found that pin 1 on his mirror harness is the puddle lamp supply voltage - this was the same configuration my truck originally had. I had to run a wire from the parking lamp supply voltage to the puddle lamp supply voltage wire running to the tow mirrors.

On other trucks, I have no idea if this wire is even populated on the door harness, but I think there are other threads on the forum that outline how/when you would need to update your truck's door harness to support these mirrors.

I purchased two 5 pin 12v 30/40a relays from the auto parts store and successfully hooked them up to give me turn and running lights to the amber LED.

Simple connections:

Pin 85 - Ground

Pin 86 - turn signal (from truck)

Pin 87 - DO NOT USE

Pin 87a - To Amber LED on mirror

Pin 30 - Running light (from truck)

Once connected you are good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by FingerLakesAutomotive
  • Like 3