Intake manifold off with pics of intake valves with deposits.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And since it is DI..... nothing in the fuel (such as sea foam) is going to help. I guess just spray cleaner in the intake every oil change? Do these trucks have a vacuum line on the upper intake like the one usually on the brake booster?

If you look on the catch can thread you'll find the 6.2L is on the top just above the throttle body and the 5.3L is on the driver side about half way back. SeaFoam has a spray with curved hose you can do at the throttle body, but I think smaller cleanings more often will be better and that is why I'm going to make that kit. Probably get an aftermarket intake tube to put it on and throw the factory one back on to visit the dealer.

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Foam-SS14-Cleaner-Lube/dp/B003L7T57S

If you look on the catch can thread you'll find the 6.2L is on the top just above the throttle body and the 5.3L is on the driver side about half way back. SeaFoam has a spray with curved hose you can do at the throttle body, but I think smaller cleanings more often will be better and that is why I'm going to make that kit. Probably get an aftermarket intake tube to put it on and throw the factory one back on to visit the dealer.

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Foam-SS14-Cleaner-Lube/dp/B003L7T57S

I forget the exact details but, going by memory, if you do the BG induction service every 15,000 miles according to their maintenance plan they will warranty your engine for up to like $5,000. That seems to at least support your theory that cleanings more often are better/safer for the engine than say every 50,000 miles where large carbon particles are likely to make their way through your ring seals and score up the cylinder walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, maybe they mistook the oil reservoir for the dry sump as a catch can?

Probably that they saw a catch can on every Z06 they saw and assumed they came with them.

I don't know a Z driver that hasn't put one on.

Honestly if it looks like that with 30k on it, and you put the can on at 9k, I bet that majority of the those deposits came in the first 9,000, and the can is doing its job. I say this because...one of our techs last week or so ripped into a 2014 with 21,600 on it (came in running bad). Had an AFM lifter collapse, wasn't opening the intake valve. The valves in the heads, looked as if they were in the truck for 150k miles. All stock, no catch can. Just relying on the factory PCV and those oil/air seperator domed sections in the valve cover (that were supposed to work 3x better than the LS PCV design).

IMG_2341_zpse6fbafb7.jpg

I wish I had some better lighting but it appeared thicker on the valves and stems than on yours.

By chance, do you know if the owner drove with AFM mode, or in manual?

Thanks

By chance, do you know if the owner drove with AFM mode, or in manual?

Thanks

The AFM cylinders were slightly worse than the non-AFM cylinders so my guess would be he just drove it in D, no manual mode.

The AFM cylinders were slightly worse than the non-AFM cylinders so my guess would be he just drove it in D, no manual mode.

Wait.......I remember reading somewhere on this forum that AFM alternates through all 8 cylinders.

Wait.......I remember reading somewhere on this forum that AFM alternates through all 8 cylinders.

I hope this is the case. I prefer a relatively even wear and tear on the motor not 4 cylinders in full operation for the life of the vehicle while the other 4 cycle on and off. I'm really getting close to pulling the trigger on the Range AFM delete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. 16 lifers in the engine, two lifters per cylinder. 8 lifters are conventional lifters (cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8). The other 8 lifters are the AFM lifters (cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7). So, looking over the engine from the drivers seat, on the left bank, the front most and rear most cylinders are the left bank AFM cylinders, and on the right bank, the middle two are the AFM cylinders.

If they ran alternating on each cylinder, the thing would irun like a Harley Davidson idles or worse. The way its set up makes for a balanced, smooth running engine when it loses 4 cylinders.

Archived