How many miles do you typically put on a vehicle before getting rid of

How many miles do you typically keep a vehicle  

659 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My commuter car, a 2003 Trailblazer EXT has 256,000+ on it and the motor & transmission are sound. Needless to say I'm loving it.

I purchased it new and the conventional motor oil 10w-30 has never exceeded 3000 miles. At 10,000 intervals I change all fluids aside from power steering and antifreeze.

Aside from having to change the brakes many a time, replacing the front end one time, fuel pump one time, O2 sensors a few times, and many more wheel bearings than I care to remember, the car has been sound.

In its early days I regularly pulled a two place, 14' + 5' V nose enclosed Blizzard Aluminum trailer. Since purchasing the vehicle in December 2003 to this past winter, the TB was often tasked with starting and running in -30F weather in northern NH. Happily never an issue.

My commuter car, a 2003 Trailblazer EXT has 256,000+ on it and the motor & transmission are sound. Needless to say I'm loving it.

I purchased it new and the conventional motor oil 10w-30 has never exceeded 3000 miles. At 10,000 intervals I change all fluids aside from power steering and antifreeze.

Aside from having to change the brakes many a time, replacing the front end one time, fuel pump one time, O2 sensors a few times, and many more wheel bearings than I care to remember, the car has been sound.

In its early days I regularly pulled a two place, 14' + 5' V nose enclosed Blizzard Aluminum trailer. Since purchasing the vehicle in December 2003 to this past winter, the TB was often tasked with starting and running in -30F weather in northern NH. Happily never an issue.

A testament to what actual maintenance will do even with today's 'maintenance free' vehicles. ?

I had a 1997 Silverado years ago that I drove to around 300k. That truck was like part of me, we spent so much time together. It constantly needed my attention requiring hours of my time on weekends for repairs always needing tires etc and got 14 mpg on a good day if driving downhill. NO NO NO No friggin that will happen to me again. I am going to keep a brand new truck and if it starts wanting to bond with me too much, it is outta here immediately! Not up for a committed relationship with a vehicle it is way too expensive. If you figure what your time is worth and do some math (hopefully your time is very valuable?) You will most likely come to the same realization that I did. I cannot afford to spend hours messing with maintaining a vehicle. Once I retire in 15 years or so it "might" calculate out differently but even then my time will be worth something. As stated before many times in this thread, everyone's situation is going to be different, do what works for you after careful consideration. Besides you can easily manipulate math to make it come out to almost anything that you want as a end result LOL

Ahhhh that new truck smell is awesome

You sound like a prime candidate for leasing, or do you already? If not, how do you come out ahead getting a new truck every year or two?

I had a 1997 Silverado years ago that I drove to around 300k. That truck was like part of me, we spent so much time together. It constantly needed my attention requiring hours of my time on weekends for repairs always needing tires etc and got 14 mpg on a good day if driving downhill. NO NO NO No friggin that will happen to me again. I am going to keep a brand new truck and if it starts wanting to bond with me too much, it is outta here immediately! Not up for a committed relationship with a vehicle it is way too expensive. If you figure what your time is worth and do some math (hopefully your time is very valuable?) You will most likely come to the same realization that I did. I cannot afford to spend hours messing with maintaining a vehicle. Once I retire in 15 years or so it "might" calculate out differently but even then my time will be worth something. As stated before many times in this thread, everyone's situation is going to be different, do what works for you after careful consideration. Besides you can easily manipulate math to make it come out to almost anything that you want as a end result LOL

Ahhhh that new truck smell is awesome

• 3 months later...

Not nearly enough. I waste so much money on stupid cars, but i love them lol. The most mileage I've ever had on a car before I traded was 92K and I bought it with 36K. Most mileage on a brand new vehicle before I traded was 55K miles. That's 3 1/3 yrs of ownership. Everything else is worse. I just traded a 17 WRX with 19K to get this Sierra. This truck however will get lots of miles since I drive 55 miles 1 way to got to work.

Truck purchased in July, and it has 6K miles on it already just for reference.

Archived