Steam from front end in cold snowy/rainy weather?

I don't know, seems like a leak to me... I will be observing the coolant level for a few more days, but I am pretty sure I will have to get that checked out at the dealership.

Leak.jpg

I think I have a leak somewhere to. If I get out my truck after driving it i can smell coolant on the top left side of radiator. I thought they fixed this. I have a late build date also. 7-15. Can you smell coolant in front of yours?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have a leak somewhere to. If I get out my truck after driving it i can smell coolant on the top left side of radiator. I thought they fixed this. I have a late build date also. 7-15. Can you smell coolant in front of yours?

I can smell something, to be honest I can't tell if that's how coolant smells. But I wouldn't say that it's just water vapor. And it is on the top driver side of radiator too.

I think this is our problem:

http://gm.oemdtc.com/4312/coolant-smell-andor-slight-leak-at-radiator-2014-2015-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/194376-letter-cycling-thermostat/

I can smell something, to be honest I can't tell if that's how coolant smells. But I wouldn't say that it's just water vapor. And it is on the top driver side of radiator too.

I think this is our problem:

http://gm.oemdtc.com/4312/coolant-smell-andor-slight-leak-at-radiator-2014-2015-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/194376-letter-cycling-thermostat/

Ok. Yeah mine is on passenger side. I smell nothing on other side. I marked my coolant bottle with a black marker so I can see if it losing coolant.

My truck does it, kinda. I've noticed that after I've been driving and wash the truck it will, just a little. Same after I've been driving in falling snow. Only smell is warm engine. I figure there is some moisture contacting the front of the radiator (after coming in through the grille) and creating the steam. Always runs dead center on the temp gauge and the coolant level is always spot on, at least with every stop for gas.

I never realized my 2014 (long gone, traded in) had a problem until now. It had a slight steam at times and I had to add a bit of coolant. My dealer said they could not find a leak. With the information in this thread on the tstat fast cycling and causing the radiator to leak I would have made their lazy/incompetent butts fix it LOL. Never even thought about anything like that, this site is awesome and I know many people benefit from all the information.

In 27,000 miles, I have only noticed my truck do this one time. It was after driving for about 20 minutes, engine was at operating temp for a little bit, there was no precip from what I remember. I was sitting in the right turn lane and steam started coming up from the front of the truck. It did it the entire time I was waiting for traffic to clear. I popped the hood when I got to work, everything appeared dry. Has never done it again.

There is a known issue with the radiators on these trucks developing a small leak due to a poorly performing t-stat.

GM service letter 15829

I took it to the dealership and they replaced the radiator and thermostat. The leak was pretty obvious in this case, the steam, the dark spot on the radiator and coolant fluid getting low. They did it free of charge, but I'm not sure if it's because it was under special coverage or because it was certified pre-owned.

Archived