Intake clean. WOW!

That's very odd, maybe that wasn't a good place to suck it in? could have pooled up in the air intake. Either that or after an hour it evaporates.

Edit - Reading other forums and people say it should blow out smoke after sitting for an hour. I would maybe try again going right into the throttle body if there is no smoke.

Well, something doesn't quite add up though. I mean, if smoke=works, then my evidence would suggest that smoke isn't always required for it to work. Smoke is really soot in this context, and soot is solid particulate. It's possible that the CRC formula + additional heat soak time results in sufficient liquefaction of the deposits such that they burn cleanly without soot.

unnamed.jpg

I drove out to a salvage yard down the road (which refused to let me clip a wire harness I need :( )

Tank average for me is high 17s low 18s most of the time, this was a fairly traffic free drive with cruise control set at 64mph both directions in a hilly area.

Power.. eh it's about the same when taking off. Resuming however seems a bit more "peppy." It gets up to my desired speed with less effort.

All in all, It wasn't a miracle drug for my truck. I think its helped a little bit. for $5 sure why not?

I've NEVER been able to top 20mpg though.

OK so.. maybe I still had some stuff in the system cos.. WOW.. :lol:

I just went back out and took a ride in traffic. I was climbing a hill when someone was going to slow in my lane. I got over and went to pass and the truck HAULED past them!

It even maintaned speed on cruise control up hill. It normally drops 2-3mph up a hill on cruise control!

Later on on the ride home someone was lost and was going 36. They pulled over and I downshifted. In the length of their vehicle I went from 36 to 47! I was amazed.

The truck feels lighter now. Cruising is easier, getting up to speed (so long as my transmission doesn't think shifting from 1 to 2 from a take off at 2mph is a great idea..) is easier.

I recommend this!

On one hand I feel amazed that its making this difference (about 1-1.5mpg too..) on the other.. I'm concerned that at only 31k miles I'm having to run a valve cleaner.

This is the stuff I used:

100_5851.jpg

This is how I used it:

100_5852.jpg

Edited by darkfox1
  • Like 1

FYI, I did the EXACT same as DarkFox. Thanks for the pics man, I totally forgot! But then again, I didn't expect it to be that important of a thing so I never even considered it.

Again, I'll say, if you have a few miles, DO THIS!

• Like 1

Did you use the entire can of CRC?

The directions say to use until the can is empty.

I'm a little confused about when it says to do burst at 30 second intervals. I'm not sure if that means do 30 second long burst or do a burst and then wait 30 seconds. Either way I'm not sure on how long the other # would be depending on which one it is.

• Like 1

I'm wanting to do an oil catch can so if I get one in the future I'll use this to clean the valves before installing the can.

Don't know how many miles you have, but I wouldn't wait too long. I was concerned, and still am, that I waited too long and any deposits are on there pretty well and thusly hard to remove. Sure, install a can, but don't wait too long.

Did you use the entire can of CRC?

yep

The directions say to use until the can is empty.

I'm a little confused about when it says to do burst at 30 second intervals. I'm not sure if that means do 30 second long burst or do a burst and then wait 30 seconds. Either way I'm not sure on how long the other # would be depending on which one it is.

I'm 100% with you on this. So, if it's spray for 30 seconds...then how long to wait in between "bursts"? And if it's burst then wait 30 seconds, then how long to burst?

I sprayed for 30 seconds, and then waited for 10. Take it for what it's worth. I dunno, I assume the "burst" method is just to prevent any stalling. I think it would have had the same result, and ran just fine, with one continuous run.

Edited by bdbake01

Spray for 30 seconds and then wait for idle to go back down to normal. Repeat.

I too was waiting for an oil catch can before doing it, but decided why wait? I can always do it again when I get one.

Edited by projectsummit

Don't know how many miles you have, but I wouldn't wait too long. I was concerned, and still am, that I waited too long and any deposits are on there pretty well and thusly hard to remove. Sure, install a can, but don't wait too long.

About 10,600, probably closer to 10,700. It feels like it hasn't lost anything, but I know the buildup on the valves are very gradual so you won't feel any difference from one day to the next. I haven'y had any trouble with a stumble or hesitation when WOT. I did just add an Airaid M.I.T. tube and it does feel more responsive. I'm not sure if it's all in my head or if it really did. Of course I know I won't feel any HP increase, just feels like there's better throttle response, kind of like when I installed the K&N intake kit on my 98. After installing I let it idle a few minutes and then drove for about 20 miles with all kinds of roads from city to interstate. So if I get a catch can I'll have to figure out hose lengths with the Airait M.I.T.