Intake clean. WOW!

Ok, so lately I've been noticing the 6.2 stumbling a bit, hesitating, lower mileage - even more than expected for winter - etc. and began getting more concerned about intake valve buildup. 26k miles after all. Decided to Seafoam/CRC. Went with the CRC GDI IVC because #1- it appears to be a product developed specifically for this application instead of generalized top engine cleaning such as Seafoam (which I'll say has served me well in the past and may do just fine) and #2- Anything with a name comprised entirely of acronyms must mean business.

Oh. My. God.

The difference was simply amazing. I guess the bad behavior had sneaked up on me, but I had no idea just how bad it had gotten. Worth EVERY penny. Even has a $5 mail in rebate right now. I'm gonna do this every 5k miles.

• Rough idle - gone
  • Off idle stumble - gone
  • Not-so-smooth acceleration - gone
  • Power - it's back
  • Mileage - early reports from ~100mi would suggest absolutely no less than a 4 mpg jump. No joke. Amazed

I was expecting a big puke of soot, but nothing. Nada. Not seeing that made me think it hadn't worked, well boy o boy was I wrong!

If you have 10k or more on your truck go to Autozone NOW and grab a can. Only takes an hour total and you will thank yourself for it!

• Like 3

Considering that this is pulled INTO your cylinders, I wonder if it washes the oil off the cylinder walls. Also, does it SOFTEN the deposits or merely loosen them. I'm not sure I'd want hard carbon pulled INTO my cylinders.

While I don't really disagree with you, I also don't want carbon deposits building up on my intake valves. But alas, that's exactly where we seem to be finding ourselves these days.

My guess is that it softens them. Loosening is a difficult thing for a chemical to achieve. A solid piece breaking off and going through the cylinder sounds more like mechanical removal. Besides, you're kidding yourself if you don't think little bits will naturally begin to break off and fly through the cylinder. Probably the big ones too.

As for washing of the walls, meh, even if it did it would have a very minor if any effect wearing of the walls long term. The area above the rings shouldn't have virtually any oil anyways.

Subscribed but y didn't u go with bg or something like I heard it was top notch ???no bashing just curious

As in BG cleaning products or catch can? If cleaning product, well the CRC was just a few miles down the road at Autozone (very handy) and it seems to be getting good reviews. I'll certainly throw my hat in that ring as it certainly worked well, results were immediately obvious from the moment I cranked her back up.

The purpose of the post wasn't to tout CRC. I could care less so long as it worked. My point was to share my experience with intake valve cleaning and the benefits therein.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seems odd that you would see such an effect with direct injection.

Well, air is air. And fuel is fuel. To make it all work you have to have the appropriate amounts of both. With fuel, you can actively pump it into the chamber. With air, it's at the mercy of fluid dynamics. If you have any deposits on your valves (read up a bit, you'll find that it's a issue with virtually all DI engines), then you're not getting the air that you should.

• Like 1

I may try this the CRC this month as well, I have almost 18k on mine.

While DI is good, the bad is that GM recycles all of the oil mist back into the combustion process. While fuel will evaporate, the oil hits the backside of the valves and then get heat baked onto the valves. Even if some bits came off and fell into the cylinder it wont hurt a thing, it will either get vaporized during the combustion process or else pushed out the exhaust valve. only bad then is if the chunks are large enough they will end up in front of the primary cats which could lead to clogged cats down the road.