Power Steering troubles 2001 Suburban

poisonivyvixen

Question

8 answers to this question

It's a conventional system. Yes by the way gear box is correct, there is no rack and pinion. We've flushed the power steering lines several times and added plenty of fluid. It's a 2001 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT 5.3 Vortec. Nothing special just a weird problem.

we replaced all those parts because of the metal shavings floating around in the gear box. we were sure that was the issue.

I think we need more information about what the truck model and the exact problem/symptoms before we can give you any more ideas of where to look. The first thing that jumps to my mind would be check the belt for to ensure tension and check power steering fluid level. The pump may just be low and not working correctly.

I am using a mobile app to type this, and do not see any brand or model information for this vehicle.

Follow the power steering hoses to where they end up. If one goes to a cooler up by the rad check to see if it plugged up.

You don't say why both the pump and rack were replaced. Were they actually tested, or were they replaced because someone said "it must be one of those parts, just replace them both to be sure". If that is what happened, you have learned two things, one, there are more than parts that can cause this and second, don't ask that person for car repair diagnosis.

It says '01 'burban in their info, Doug.

Maybe they hooked the hoses up backwards? Don't think that's possible though, but I've never done a rack before, so I can't say for sure. If the supply and return are crossed I'd imagine it would make some horrendous noise too ...

It says '01 'burban in their info, Doug.

Maybe they hooked the hoses up backwards? Don't think that's possible though, but I've never done a rack before, so I can't say for sure. If the supply and return are crossed I'd imagine it would make some horrendous noise too ...

I was using my phone to reply, and there is some app that it came with called Tapatalk. Between that and the 4 inch screen I had a hard time finding anything. Surprised the spelling came out so good.

Power steering lines have different ends, on each line. Lines are usually different sizes since the return line is not under pressure, other than what it needs to push the oil back into the reservoir. Not uncommon to see a simple worm gear clamp holding a return line on. It would not surprise me if GM said they were different to prevent assembly plant errors.

A plugged cooler should also make a noise at least, and should kill the pump eventually as well. I don't know if the OP had the entire rack and pinion replaced, or just the valve assembly. Calling a rack and pinion assy a gear box also does not sound right to me. I just looked and the 1500 series had a rack and pinion system, the 2500 series says rack and pinion, but shows traditional recirculating ball chuck. The OP needs to give more information I think.

I think we need more information about what the truck model and the exact problem/symptoms before we can give you any more ideas of where to look. The first thing that jumps to my mind would be check the belt for to ensure tension and check power steering fluid level. The pump may just be low and not working correctly.

I think Rob may have brought up the right idea. Is this truck using Hydro-boost? If they changed the power steering pump, and used the pump for non hydro-boost trucks, maybe the "normal" pump is not big enough to support the Hydro-boost and power steering.

Rob may also be right on the other part of his post. If this truck has hydro-boost, it is likely time to take it to the pros. Again, this is based upon what we both know and don't know about the truck.

Archived